C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Green filter users : CHECK YOUR AIRBOX right meow.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
Green filter users : CHECK YOUR AIRBOX right meow.

I had mine for about an year.. I cleaned it once with the cleaning kit 6 months ago so I thought it would be nice to clean it this time of the year.

So I removed the air ducts, took out the airbox and I can feel that filters are moving around.... Of course I went WTF and when I looked at the inside.. I saw 2 of my filters completely out of place.. When I opened the box, I was in for more supirse...

Rubber things were soft like hot cheese..all melted.. Kinda made me hungry and I did have pizza for dinner that night. Anyway... Yea.. filters were collapsed n they kinda blocked the airpassage..
I don't even know how long I drove my car like this.. I def going to change my oil once I get the replacement filters.... I thought they fixed this issue.. I think I got the latest version... Anyway..... Let's see if they wiill stand behind their products..

sry about bad pictures.. I took it with my cell..

Last edited by Quicktwinturbo; 10-12-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Exclamation

I say let Green Filter and ask for a replacement...I use both that and K&N and like them the same but can say the K&N is made sturdier but the Greens seem like they breath better...get a replacement.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Inspecting them regularly is sound advice. Similar failures have occurred previously:

Old 10-12-2008, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by c32used
I say let Green Filter and ask for a replacement...I use both that and K&N and like them the same but can say the K&N is made sturdier but the Greens seem like they breath better...get a replacement.
Yea.. From my research, greens will send replacements free of charge.. I'm not sure if they'll still do that since I'm in Korea.. I hope they do..
Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by splinter
Inspecting them regularly is sound advice. Similar failures have occurred previously:

Yeppp..I thought they solved this issue... That's why I actually went with greens instead of K&N. sigh
Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
hmm.....i thought about switching over to Greens b/c they breathe a little better, but this kind of wants me to stick with K&N.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by jturkel
hmm.....i thought about switching over to Greens b/c they breathe a little better, but this kind of wants me to stick with K&N.
Go with green... Just don't throw away your K&N just in case
I wish I kept my stock ones... Now I cant drive mine... Unless I buy OEM ones from the dealer
Old 10-12-2008, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
Hmmm...I wonder...I haven't bought any filters yet. Should I go Green, or stay safe with K&N? I've heard K&Ns can cause problems with the O2 sensor.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by Koru_Kinshi
Hmmm...I wonder...I haven't bought any filters yet. Should I go Green, or stay safe with K&N? I've heard K&Ns can cause problems with the O2 sensor.
That's what I heard as well.. That was main factor why I went with green.
However, many fourm members uses K&N w/o any problems...
Old 10-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Almost a Member!

slk350
K&N is the only way to go, Theirs will NEVER do that even after 100k miles. Stick with the most well known air filter company out there.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Koru_Kinshi
some people over oil their filters and K&Ns tend to be more oily from what i have heard. the excess oil can affect the MAP sensor. just dont over oil them. make sure they are oozing before putting them back in.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
some people over oil their filters and K&Ns tend to be more oily from what i have heard. the excess oil can affect the MAP sensor. just dont over oil them. make sure they are oozing before putting them back in.
I worried about that as well and I thought you don't have to oil green filters... WEll, you do have to oil green just like K&N.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Green filters did the same thing in my E55 and a lot of others. I won't use them now. I use all BMC filters. Higher quality than K&N and flow better than the Greens. They're more expensive though.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
At

$30 the pair for oem paper filters,that out flow both Green and K/N and don't melt like goo.You just order a set from autohausaz.com when you order your fleece oil filter kit $15 , and shipping is free.Kills two birds with one stone

I hope none of that expanded urethane got sucked down the intake.That could cause quite a mess on the piston rings.You may want to keep some records and pictures and send a certified letter to Green ,so you have it in writing that you have lodged a complaint of possible damage.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by ohlord
$30 the pair for oem paper filters,that out flow both Green and K/N and don't melt like goo.You just order a set from autohausaz.com when you order your fleece oil filter kit $15 , and shipping is free.Kills two birds with one stone

I hope none of that expanded urethane got sucked down the intake.That could cause quite a mess on the piston rings.You may want to keep some records and pictures and send a certified letter to Green ,so you have it in writing that you have lodged a complaint of possible damage.
Paper filters out flow green and K&N?? Is that a proven fact?
Yea.. I'm worried that some of those thing might went in to the engine... Thank you for your comment.. I will keep that in mind.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Search post

"interesting filter test".Or something to that extent.Compares several filters k/n included at standard test ratings.After 30 minutes at 350 cu ft of flow per minute k/n flowed less air than a paper oem filter and passed 8 times more dirt.Very few owners ever reach the factory limited top speed of their model and most that docan attest to the fact that on OEM paper filters the engine is still pulling and is surely not lacking clean air to want to go faster.
Please anyone using K/N or Green it is your choice so leave me alone you give me a head ache I race Mercedes, build the engines,I use paper filters,so does AMG and the factory teams.You use what you want to use and we use what we want to use.$30 for a pair of OEM paper filters is cheaper than the hassle of having to worry about
"Inspecting them regularly is sound advice. Similar failures have occurred previously"
If I need to hear from the followers of the k/n hype and the green ad campaign about quality and flow and unsubstantiated h.p. gains and then read quotes like above from a user of the product,that pretty much tells me more than I need to know even if I knew nothing about the product previously.

Sorta like sprintbooster admitting themselves that their product actually does nothing,it just makes you feel like it does something
Old 10-13-2008, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
what about bmc filters? are oem better?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
"interesting filter test".Or something to that extent.Compares several filters k/n included at standard test ratings.After 30 minutes at 350 cu ft of flow per minute k/n flowed less air than a paper oem filter and passed 8 times more dirt.Very few owners ever reach the factory limited top speed of their model and most that docan attest to the fact that on OEM paper filters the engine is still pulling and is surely not lacking clean air to want to go faster.
Please anyone using K/N or Green it is your choice so leave me alone you give me a head ache I race Mercedes, build the engines,I use paper filters,so does AMG and the factory teams.You use what you want to use and we use what we want to use.$30 for a pair of OEM paper filters is cheaper than the hassle of having to worry about
"Inspecting them regularly is sound advice. Similar failures have occurred previously"
If I need to hear from the followers of the k/n hype and the green ad campaign about quality and flow and unsubstantiated h.p. gains and then read quotes like above from a user of the product,that pretty much tells me more than I need to know even if I knew nothing about the product previously.

Sorta like sprintbooster admitting themselves that their product actually does nothing,it just makes you feel like it does something
Great info.. I didn't know that the factory teams uses oem...I always thought they go out with open intake..Still a lil skeptical about paper filters but at the moment, I don't have much choice but to get a set of OEM filters and wait on the replacement.. If they are willing to back up their products.. Stay tuned..
Old 10-13-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
QuickTT - sorry to see this. Unfortunately, it is a known issue with the greens. I suggest treating the problem with the company as if you were in the US. Use a friend's address and handle it that way. Then have the new ones shipped to you.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
QuickTT - sorry to see this. Unfortunately, it is a known issue with the greens. I suggest treating the problem with the company as if you were in the US. Use a friend's address and handle it that way. Then have the new ones shipped to you.
Thanks man~ I sure thought I got the re-vised / upgraded green filters.. I guess they didn't solve this issue just yet..

Currently, I'm waiting on an email / PM from the vendor I purchased these filters from
I'm sure everything will go smooth...Greens should send me a set of replacement OVERNIGHT to korea.. ok.. maybe not overnight but...I don't think I should have to pay for s/h to Korea. Mainly, I'm kinda worried that some of those rubber stuff might got in to the engine.......That would.. reallly sux.. since i'm out of warrenty..

FOR NOW, I'm picking up a set of paper filters tomo so I can drive this **** around..

Last edited by Quicktwinturbo; 10-13-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looking at their convoluted

dyno charts 3% is well within any margin of error on any dyno pull,it's still a cotton filter with oil,but if it suits your needs and you feel it serves the purpose of an air filter. Clean air in a quantity sufficient for the displacement of the engine and flow of the heads,that's that matters. The intention of an air filter is to filter air and protect your engine BMC looks to be of the same construction as the other G and K filters if it lets the same amount of dirt past,I don't want it on my engines.But remember that's just my opinion.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63

DTM uses K&N.......edit your post or clarify what "teams" you are referencing.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
I've used K&N filters for years and plan on staying with them. That's not good that the greens are melted up like that.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
didnt C32used do a little "experiment" with the stockies, greens, and K&Ns? I think in his sig he posts the different times/traps for each one. C32used, was this done under the same conditions for each? (same night or temp or track or whatnot)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Green filter users : CHECK YOUR AIRBOX right meow.