C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

new electrical problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 amg, 1998 328i
new electrical problem

I stomped the throttle to clean out the cobwebs today, and a red light popped up with "BATTERY/ALTERNATOR" visit workshop. When I turned off the car it reset. I took it for another drive and it did it again. Now it also shows a 3rd fault in yellow and it has the battery symbol again saying something about undervoltage, consumer defective. I put a meter on the terminals and Im only reading 11.63 volts. As I remember most cars should read 14-15 volts while running to recharge the battery and to run all electrical devices?
Any responses from the service world would be great. Sounds like a dead alternator but it seemed wierd with the timing. I had recently had problems with dead batteries cause of seat modules and replaced the battery. Would that cause my alternator to go bad? 1 month later

Last edited by eclipsed; 11-23-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
stupid question: how old is your battery?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by eclipsed
I stomped the throttle to clean out the cobwebs today, and a red light popped up with "BATTERY/ALTERNATOR" visit workshop. When I turned off the car it reset. I took it for another drive and it did it again. Now it also shows a 3rd fault in yellow and it has the battery symbol again saying something about consumer defective. I put a meter on the terminals and Im only reading 11.63 volts. As I remember most cars should read 14-15 volts while running to recharge the battery and to run all electrical devices?
Any responses from the service world would be great. Sounds like a dead alternator but it seemed wierd with the timing. I had recently had problems with dead batteries cause of seat modules and replaced the battery. Would that cause my alternator to go bad? 1 month later
A couple months after my battle with the seat module drain problem, my alternator went out as well. My mechanic said that all the extra load that was placed on the alternator while our batteries were being drained most likely cause it to fail prematurely. Not sure, but it makes sense to me.

And unfortunately from what I was told, C32's have a very specific alternator that isn't used on other Mercedes, so it might be hard to find a remanufactured one.

But then I found this on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...1V#ht_1249wt_0

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 PM

2002 C32 amg, 1998 328i
probably alternator

Brand new battery. Im concened because Im only reading 11.63 which likely is only the battery's voltage. Im sure the running voltage is to be 14.4 volts. I was hoping getting on it maybe the belt was slipping and not spinning the alternator and I needed some reset.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:44 AM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
It sounds like your alternator is going bad. I had the same issue this summer it was the alternator. I ended up changing it myself, it was a ***** but very satisfying since they quoted me around $2000 at the dealer. Independent mechanic should do it for you for a lot less if you don't want to mess with it. Check out my thread and other threads on bad alternator, they are very helpful. I got my alternator from the website I mentioned for around $280 shipped, however you do have to swap out the pulley. Which my mechanic did for free. Also, you should stop driving the car it will eventually leave you stranded as the battery drians and all sorts of message appear and eventually the car would shot off. Good Luck.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 AM

2002 S500
definately alternator, even if ur batery was destroyed and the car is running it should show above 14volts
Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm having issues with Battery drian problems.. but not error messages yet.

Therefore I'm still need to find the cause of the draw.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:10 PM

2002 C32 amg, 1998 328i
Also, you should stop driving the car it will eventually leave you stranded as the battery drians and all sorts of message appear and eventually the car would shot off. Good Luck

Learned the hard way and had to finish 2 mile walk to work at 32 degrees.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:04 PM

C32 AMG
Same exactly problem- happened today!!!

Originally Posted by eclipsed
I stomped the throttle to clean out the cobwebs today, and a red light popped up with "BATTERY/ALTERNATOR" visit workshop. When I turned off the car it reset. I took it for another drive and it did it again. Now it also shows a 3rd fault in yellow and it has the battery symbol again saying something about undervoltage, consumer defective. I put a meter on the terminals and Im only reading 11.63 volts. As I remember most cars should read 14-15 volts while running to recharge the battery and to run all electrical devices?
I did exactly the same message.
A bit different symptoms: at idle voltage 14 anything over 1500 rpm- dropping below 12 volts.
Imediately took it to trusted shop - confirmed alternator failure.
Quoted repair cost:
hold on to your seats............
Labor: $120.00
Parts- brand new alternator......

$160 - $40 core charge.
Total $240.00
Brand New Part might get edited after I will pick it up tomorrow
That is what I was told. Purchesed in the past few alternators and starters from them - all of them were as discribed-always new- non rebuilt, never used.

Will update tomorrow early afternoon.
Regrds
Jack
Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 PM

2002 C32 amg, 1998 328i
must be the cold !!!

They just must be getting older and the cold is finishing them off. Im stuck in Des Moines Iowa, so no local parts place had one so I have to wait 2 days
Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 AM

2002 S500
Originally Posted by TopGun32
I'm having issues with Battery drian problems.. but not error messages yet.

Therefore I'm still need to find the cause of the draw.
the front seats are the culprit of your battery drain problems
Old 11-25-2008, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
It could be 1 of 4 problem listed below.

1. ****ty battery

2. Seat Module (common in C32s)

3. Voltage regulator ( I had this replaced and problem was gone)

4. Alternator... (quite expensive..

Good luck