Considering picking up a C55, some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Almost) C55 AMG
Question Considering picking up a C55, some questions

Hi all,

New member here hailing from Toronto, Canada - been lurking for some time now and decided to finally join in! Going to see a C55 this weekend from a local MB dealer - it's a 2005, but with a ridiculously low mileage of 10,815 km on it.

It's Star Certified with a 7-year/160,000 warranty on it, has upgraded stereo listed as an option, but not much else (at least as far as I can see).

Am wondering about the following:

1) Any specific questions I should be asking the dealer?

2) The MB Extended Warranty that they're giving to me - what exactly does it cover? I was told that for the first 2 years it's just like a new car's bumper-to-bumper and the third year is powertrain and all major components. Is that an accurate assessment of it?

3) How about Bluetooth for my phone - I'm assuming I need to have COMMAND installed for it (or go aftermarket); am I correct there?

4) Last, but not least - is there a way that an OEM COMMAND system can be installed by an MB dealer? If so, any ideas on the cost of the procedure?

Thanks in advance, guys - really excited, would be my first AMG, if I get it!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:26 PM

2005 C55 AMG
The warranty sounds very legit. I doubt there will be many things you'd need to have done per the low mileage, however there are some common failure issues that it will come in handy for, ie: Seat Heaters, Motor and Transmission Mounts, to name a few. These are all costly items if you had to pay them yourself.
As for the COMAND system, I believe it was a $2400 option when the car was new, and I've not seen them priced via eBay for less than $1500, not including all the other items you might need to make it be complete. Honestly, I think if you want a C55 w/ the COMAND option, you should simply buy one that already has it. There are plenty of them out there.

As for bluetooth, I cannot really help much there as it's not my specialty. I know many on the board here do have it. I don't believe you need the COMAND system to make it work. The car comes with a phone key pad built in, as well as a portal in the console for hooking your phone into the car w/ proper additional hardware. But again, I'm not sure about the details on any of that.

Per the car being MB certified, you should feel very confident it has been thoroughly inspected, and they'll stand behind it. These cars are very solid, and very dependable by what I've seen. I've had my '05 for 11 months now with no major problems, other than the motor/trans mount issue. They are hydraulic fluid filled mounts and over time they tend to begin leaking, therefore causing a rough idle feel in the car. It's a $700 repair at the dealership, but your warranty will cover it if they fail.

Enjoy!
J
Old 12-03-2008, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
1. Trans seal campaign, catalyst campaign. Proof of scheduled maintenance.

2. No experience with extended warranties.

3. You don't need COMAND installed, however, the car is pre-wired for integrated telephone which can be adapted to bluetooth. An extensive install, parts might be pricy and hard to find.

4. You can contact Steve at MBenzl (google or search the forums) as he has the best price/option for the MCSII nav unit.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 C55
My car had the phone socket in the center console. I bought a used bluetooth puck for the MB and plugged it in. Mated my Treo 755p perfectly. Nice thing is that I can yank the puck out of my car, stick it in my service loaner and its already paired up.

Don't know about Canadian extended warranty. Just get the specifics in writing up front.

It does appear that COMAND can be retrofitted but as mentioned it ain't going to be cheap. I'm not sure that I'd pass on a good deal just because of COMAND though. The nav software is really not the best in the world. My Landcruiser's is much better and its a two year older system. OTOH, if you can't stand wires on the dash from a portable system it might be worth the money.

The only real problem that my car has had is the frikking seat heaters. The base has burnt out on both of my seats once and now my driver's side twice. All replaced under warranty (and I get a new seat cover each time which is kinda nice).

Overall, its been one of the best cars I have ever had.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Its a killer car for sure. lots of torque and My stock C55 but down 291whp and 305wtq giving it a 20% drive line power loss, But that all depends on the Dyno you are on. They all read different. Just thought I would throw that data out there for ya.

The center console can be tricky as it opens up in multiple directions and some times it even comes off and its a pain to get back on.

Motor Mounts on my car went bad and were replaced, So that seems to be an issue. Again this motor has tons of torque so it wants to tie itself into a knot.

I have the Command unit with Nav and I have no way to hook up bluetooth that i know of, Kinda sucks as i just got this sweet new phone.

IF the car has Satellite radio thats a plus (if your into it) as thats a $1500 after market option that you can only get from MB,

There is a audio AUX input jack in the glove box to hook up MP3 player or what not. I got a slick Ipod kit from MB that turned my phone button on my wheel into Ipod controls (kinda cool)

The whole front end of the car is from a CLK so they could fit the V8

Some times you can hit the paddle shifters on the steering wheel with your leg and not even know it until your feel the car rev like a mad man. I once thought i had a transmission problem only to find out it was my knee hitting the shifter.

The car has no oil dipstick Its so stupid that it doesn't so dont be alarmed when you cant find it.

They only made about 4600 C55's in 2005 so that makes it a rare car.

The back seats fold down completely flat to expand storage space from the trunk.

The transmission will hang in a gear when you let off the throttle so thats normal and is a nice performance feature.

The car wont do a brake stand, As traction control even when off, will cut power. Kinda Lame.

All in all A great car, I love mine. Functional, refined, and fast.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:12 AM

2005 C55 - Silver
Qualia - go for the C55!
I just brought my 05, home last week here in Vancouver and couldn't be happier. My advice is to not worry too much about extra expenses in the form of adding in too many options quite yet. Mine came with the I-pod wire, but to be honest the only music I have listened to so far, is the sweet sound of "V8", with extra bass!

It's only been a week for me, but I love it so much that I felt compelled to paint the inside of the garage, just so it would make the car feel more welcome. Cherry red walls, for a nice accent to the silver C55.

And to think when I started shopping with the wife, we were that close to buying a Mazda 3. lol! Wife wanted something good on gas to replace her convert Mustang. Laughing even harder now!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM

(Almost) C55 AMG
Thanks!!!!

Wow, that's some great responses ... thanks guys, really appreciate it!

Am more excited after reading all replies now - hopefully will be a proud Mercedes owner this weekend!

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2008, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
As everyone else here has told you the C55 is a fantastic car and mostly bullet proof!! I love mine. I had the same seat heater failures and had to have the Comand reprogramed by the dealer, but not much else has gone wrong. Definately change the tranny oil every 40k miles (my car shifted noticeably better, faster and smoother after the change), the oil every 5k miles, brake fluid every year and coolant every two. I should have my motor mounts replaced and am now experiencing the dreaded bi-xenon blinking problem -- looks like I will need new igniters or ballasts or both. Also, from this board I just learned that I should have my tranny seals and catalytic converters checked.

As mentioned, adding bluetooth is an expensive proposition if the car does not already have the phone cradle installed. I have the Ipod hook up which is pretty good and the newer (late 2005/06 manufacture date) mp3 CD changer, both are pretty good, but neither are as good as some of the aftermarket units you will learn about on this board.

Enjoy your car and get some good snow tires or leave your car indoors all winter.

Enjoy!! (but never own an AMG without a warranty, aftermarket or otherwise)

Last edited by Tump43; 12-04-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:52 PM

92 500sel @ 2005 c55 amg
Thanks for the help! It's my daughter's car, saw it and fell in love with it. Only had two weeks. Bought it from mb dealer 67k miles very clean but no warranty! A little worried about that but that's what she wanted. Only drove it a couple of times myself but see why the amg is called a hot rod!