C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 realllly slow throttle response and bad downshifts. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
C32 realllly slow throttle response and bad downshifts. Please Help!

Ok guys, I have been having some problems with my c32 for quite some time now. Just when I fix one thing, another one breaks. My latest problem is with the throttle response. I even replaced my stock air filters with k&ns and even that did not help. Every time I try to accelerate, the car feels sluggish and it does not downshift like it should. When I step on it half-way, I get nothing. It seems as the car is looking for the right gear. I pretty much have to step down on the gas pedal all the way (even push the kickdown button on the bottom of the pedal) in order for the car to downshift and move forward. I do not think that it is ic pump related because I had it replaced 10k ago. It is really bothering me and I do not know what else to replace on the car to fix it. Also, the gas pedal feels really soft when you step on it. For the record, in lower gears, it seems fine when using the tiptronic, but if I go up to 60 and punch it in 3rd, it will still hesitate for a bit and slowly accelerate until higher rpms. Also, I dont know if a sprint booster would fix this problem due to the feel of the gas pedal. All you C32 guys who know anything about this problem, or have experienced this, please help. THANK YOU.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
have you ever had a glycol test on your car? you have an 02 C32 so you could have a bad radiator (common in those yrs i think). could have glycol contamination....just a thought. do some searching on the forum on "glycol contamination" as i dont know that much about it.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:47 AM

Thank you for your response jturkel. I have had my transmission, radiator, torque converter, transmission ecu, ic pump, both seat heaters, supercharger pulley, idler pulley, front suspension parts, and other little things replaced. I did once disconnect the car battery for about an hour and the throttle response was great for a week, but then it went bad again. And after I disconnected the battery and drove the car, I heard rattling in the engine. I am thinking that it might be some bad sensor or something. I am going to disconnect the battery tomorrow also, and try to see if it makes a difference. My warranty expires in two and a half months and I really want to solve this problem.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Throttle Reset.

key in ignition position 2, hold down accelerator pedal to kick down position for about 10+seconds. turn key back into position 0, release foot, start car.

computer recognizes throttle response/pattern roughly around 3-500 miles
Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by advans
Throttle Reset.

key in ignition position 2, hold down accelerator pedal to kick down position for about 10+seconds. turn key back into position 0, release foot, start car.

computer recognizes throttle response/pattern roughly around 3-500 miles
Yes, do a throttle reset every week and then get a Sprintboster, it works WONDERS for the throttle. I love it.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
You check your plugs and wires lately?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Sounds like it might be your IC pump again. Unplug the pump and see if you notice a difference.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Thanks a lot for your posts guys. I have not checked my plugs and wires. My car is an 02 with 59k and that might be part of the problem. I have tried the ecu reset before and sometimes it does not work. Could it be the ic pump again? I have no idea. The car feels fast when I floor it, but then again, I have not driven another stock c32 to compare. I am thinking about getting a sprint booster to see if it helps. THANKS.