C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Might stop using Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I don't see how the distribution method (MLM) has an effect on the product, but your warning is valid. I rely a lot on the marketplace (and the Federal Trade Commission) to smoke out scams, and I would think that Amsoil and RP and Redline would have been nailed by now.

As an aside, I had an Audi DEALER put that Z-max crap into my wife's car without asking (charged $32 for it). Despite the fact that Audi prohibits oil additives. Z-max is colored mineral oil. The FTC has hit them on it, and they scaled back their claims, but it's still being sold.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I would not use royal purple in my lawn mower.

I use German Castrol 0w-30 in every german vehicle I've owned (with the exception of 10wt-60 in the 00 M5), and its performed flawlessly.

Of the low volume producers, Id go with Redline, followed by amsoil
Old 12-26-2008, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by ohlord
the Mercedes Benz that subjects...
Have you personally witnessed any MB or AMG motor fail as a direct result of the owner switching to Royal Purple? I have no experience stripping down and rebuilding motors, so I ask you out of curiosity.

Here is an independent enthusiast comparison made between some of the leading synthetics:

http://my.prostreetonline.com/t2540.htm

The rear wheel horsepower gains are greatest running RP in a consistent test environment. Additionally, the guys I know who rebuild performance motors speak highly of the product, and I doubt they are sponsored by RP.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:01 PM
OPM

Re: timdf
With all due respect to your expertise as a former race engineer and senior designer for Formula 1 and CART at Cosworth Racing, I hope you are not implying that F1 engines are comparable to street AMGs. The tolerances and specs are totally different. We might as well talk about airplane or marine motors. F1 engines are often rebuilt; in some cases after each race. To the best of my knowledge, F1 teams use oil specially formulated for them. You seem to imply they use off-shelf oil available to the general public. Sponsorship dollars are extremely important to all F1 teams. F1 cannot exist without deep pocketed sponsors. Oil companies have some of the deepest pockets. If Mobil is the ultimate oil and the quality of oil is the only consideration for the F1 crew than Elf and Shell sponsored teams wouldn’t exist, but they do…

Re: ohlord
Please tell us more about the “pyramid scheme marketing” RP is using. I have no idea what you are talking about and I’d love to learn. Also, would you please point me to any reputable source which claims RP kills motors. Thanks.

Re: General
It seems some people are very hostile towards RP; almost as though they were personally offended by the oil. Just like tires – everybody has their favorite, but it does not make others trash. RP has been shown to be great, but that does not make M1 bad or vice versa. RP has been shown to increase whp while lowering temps. It is impossible to accomplish both without reducing component friction. Am I missing something?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Hi Opm, just to clarify...

Originally Posted by OPM
Re: timdf
With all due respect to your expertise as a former race engineer and senior designer for Formula 1 and CART at Cosworth Racing, I hope you are not implying that F1 engines are comparable to street AMGs.
No I'm not, but the from my days in racing we were mandated to use the lubricants and gas (for F1) as available to the public - this was because the formulations being used were getting too specialized especially for the gas.

Thus after much research and testing it was determined that Mobil 1 synthetic was the most robust and efficient at protecting the engine. To my knowledge no significant sponsorship $$ was involved, apart from the supply of free oil (not significant) and having to display a logo.

As for engine re-builds - yes correct after each race weekend they would be torn down and analyzed in detail - including the performance of the oil, which is how we came to select Mobil 1 synthetic.

Note - I emphasize the synthetic part.

Other teams may have come to slightly different conclusions - re brands. Indeed in time we might even see RP being used !

But in every case (most likely) the oil selected would be synthetic over good old dino oil :-)

I've been out of motorsport now for 12 years, but still maintain my contacts and believe the information I posit above to still be valid and correct.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by OPM
It seems some people are very hostile towards RP; almost as though they were personally offended by the oil. Just like tires – everybody has their favorite, but it does not make others trash. RP has been shown to be great, but that does not make M1 bad or vice versa. RP has been shown to increase whp while lowering temps. It is impossible to accomplish both without reducing component friction. Am I missing something?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by timdf
No I'm not, but the from my days in racing we were mandated to use the lubricants and gas (for F1) as available to the public - this was because the formulations being used were getting too specialized especially for the gas.

Thus after much research and testing it was determined that Mobil 1 synthetic was the most robust and efficient at protecting the engine. To my knowledge no significant sponsorship $$ was involved, apart from the supply of free oil (not significant) and having to display a logo.

As for engine re-builds - yes correct after each race weekend they would be torn down and analyzed in detail - including the performance of the oil, which is how we came to select Mobil 1 synthetic.

Note - I emphasize the synthetic part.

Other teams may have come to slightly different conclusions - re brands. Indeed in time we might even see RP being used !

But in every case (most likely) the oil selected would be synthetic over good old dino oil :-)

I've been out of motorsport now for 12 years, but still maintain my contacts and believe the information I posit above to still be valid and correct.
I found your post to be very interesting, thanks!

OT - Given your experiences, it's amazing how far F1 tech. has come in 12 years, when you think about it. I recently was watching a show talking about F1 cars/engines/etc, and the current oil used is extremely specialized and essentially has the viscosity of water, due to the engine tolerances being so tight. Wiki has some interesting info on some current F1 car basic tech: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_car