phenolic spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
phenolic spacers

I have a pair of LET phenolic spacers lying around and I am trying to decide whether to put them on...

I did some research and it appears that there is a disagreement on whether they actually reduce heat and that they can cause boost leaks.

Has anyone with the spacers on their car notice any performance gains or heat reduction?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I have them but put them in the same time as C3P intake and pulley so it's hard to tell what did what.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by kindafast
I have a pair of LET phenolic spacers lying around and I am trying to decide whether to put them on...

I did some research and it appears that there is a disagreement on whether they actually reduce heat and that they can cause boost leaks.

Has anyone with the spacers on their car notice any performance gains or heat reduction?
I have Evosport phenolic spacers under my charge air distributors and they definitely reduce the temperature of those distributors (aka surge tanks). I have measured the temperature (by IR thermometer) with and without the spacers and there seems to be about 15 F reduction in temperature.
Does that automatically translate into a corresponding reduction in charge air temperature? No. - I haven't tested it - perhaps someone out there has.

I think it's reasonable to assume that they will help in prolonged spirited driving of a stock car. I would also say that they are most useful to those who are spinning the supercharger at an increased speed (i.e. those who have increased boost via whatever pulley system they are using).
Again, it's all about the adiabatic process.

Regarding boost, introducing a phenolic spacer as well as an extra set of gaskets is not going to be as effective as the stock scenario vis-a-vis 'sealing'.
Does that mean you will have boost 'leak' if you install them? Not necessarily - although it is more likely if you are running increased boost.

I will say that NeedsWings (a prominent SRT-6 mod' company) offers a very nice cork/rubber 'sealing' gasket to address the possibility of boost leaks - I'm going to pick up a set of these at some stage.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
I will say that NeedsWings (a prominent SRT-6 mod' company) offers a very nice cork/rubber 'sealing' gasket to address the possibility of boost leaks - I'm going to pick up a set of these at some stage.
i have thought about picking these u as well....keep us informed how these work for you
Old 01-31-2009, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
I have Evosport phenolic spacers under my charge air distributors and they definitely reduce the temperature of those distributors (aka surge tanks). I have measured the temperature (by IR thermometer) with and without the spacers and there seems to be about 15 F reduction in temperature.
Does that automatically translate into a corresponding reduction in charge air temperature? No. - I haven't tested it - perhaps someone out there has.

I think it's reasonable to assume that they will help in prolonged spirited driving of a stock car. I would also say that they are most useful to those who are spinning the supercharger at an increased speed (i.e. those who have increased boost via whatever pulley system they are using).
Again, it's all about the adiabatic process.

Regarding boost, introducing a phenolic spacer as well as an extra set of gaskets is not going to be as effective as the stock scenario vis-a-vis 'sealing'.
Does that mean you will have boost 'leak' if you install them? Not necessarily - although it is more likely if you are running increased boost.

On Jakes advice, I have the Needswings gaskets and the LET Spacers, so we'll see how they do???
Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/B]

On Jakes advice, I have the Needswings gaskets and the LET Spacers, so we'll see how they do???
Keep us posted
Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I have posted on this before and the simple fact is that they CAN NOT give you ANY more horsepower my friends. The ONLY thing that they can do is slow the rate of equilibrium of the engines heat, aka it will take longer for the surge tanks to get hot, but they WILL eventually reach the SAME temperature. Check my other posts on this as I really am tired of this topic.

See yeah

Sorry for the plain physics on the matter, but they really are a waste of time and money.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 02-01-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 2005 Crossfire SRT-6
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/B]

That is the best way to seal the spacers.... The gaskets just dont seal well. Robs gaskets (Needswings) will seal on and around the spacers. Im glad Jake took some advise as well
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Crossfire SRT6
I have the NW gaskets with the mani's, and they seal really, really well. When I went to add the NW ypipe I removed all the bolts from the mani's and the tanks could've stayed there with no bolts just the gaskets.