C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

brake fluid light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' C32 AMG & 90' TT 300ZX
brake fluid light

My brake fluid light came on on Saturday (yesterday) I only stayed lit for like 3 seconds. I barely got to read it but I know it was a circular icon and and it brake fluid and some other stuff i think. What does this mean? Am I low on brake fluid, or does that mean that I drove so and so miles since last flush and I should get some new brake fluid in there?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Doesn’t normally consume fluid, although its level in the reservoir will drop slightly as the pads wear.

It’s probably best to have the entire brake system inspected straight away.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM

The warning hasnt come on since and brakes seem to work fine.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redfarsi
The warning hasnt come on since and brakes seem to work fine.
Good to hear.

Take proper care of them brakes - someday you'll need 'em.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 PM

a g
Originally Posted by splinter
Doesn’t normally consume fluid, although its level in the reservoir will drop slightly as the pads wear.

It’s probably best to have the entire brake system inspected straight away.
Not to discount your advice, but brake fluid is actually 'consumed' Dot3 and Dot4 fluids are partly water, and it gets hot and the water portion evaporates, leading to degradation of internal brake components. I.E. Brake lines, fittings, flex hoses, and most importantly the ABS pump.

If your fluid was low enough to have the light come on for any reason and for any length of time it should be flushed, period. Besides the fact that the brake pads are likely well worn from new, and nearly in need of replacement in this case anyways.

That aside brake fluid also becomes acidic (just like coolant) and needs to be removed and flush for the exact same reasons as above. The potential to damage vital brake components is enormous and shouldn't be played around with. In fact brake fluid SHOULD be flushed at each and every brake job (whether it is just resurfacing rotors, or a complete overhaul). I mean flushed, not just simply bled, there is a major difference.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks. I'll flush the fluid when I replace the pads and resurface my rotors. I just thought that there was a Mercedes reasoning behind it. I'm not used to being told by the car whats wrong and what needs to be changed and when.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, “consumed” was a poorly chosen word to convey that the volume of brake fluid contained within the system remains relatively constant, barring any external leakage. I regret its use and misinterpretation. The brake fluid level warning lamp will only illuminate when the fluid level in the fluid reservoir drops precipitously, typically due to the additional caliper piston displacement from extensive brake pad friction material wear, or from a potentially catastrophic breach in the hydraulic system.

Mercedes-Benz insists upon biannual brake fluid replacement for several well-founded reasons. Owing to the fact it’s hygroscopic, the boiling point of the fluid continually degrades over time. Anyone who has experienced brake fade from boiling fluid during spirited driving understands the importance of regular brake maintenance. As you correctly state, the fluid also absorbs detrimental chemicals from the internal mechanical components that comprise the system. Regular fluid replenishment is far less costly than replacing the master cylinder, ABS/ASR unit, or calipers.

I do, however, respectfully take exception to that portion of your post which intimates top-tier brake fluid refiners knowingly and/or intentionally include water in their formulations. Their MSDSs typically indicate minuscule levels, if any. In nearly every instance, performance-oriented technicians will dispense brake fluid only from a sealed container in order to minimize its deleterious exposure to moisture-laden ambient air. Some of us renew the fluid before each road course event in an effort to mitigate the fluid’s hygroscopic properties and help ensure proper brake system operation under severe operating conditions. While that may be a bit much for the typical Mercedes-Benz owner, proper brake system maintenance is never something with which to be trifled, IMHO.

You obviously have a background which includes automotive engineering.
Pleased you’ve chosen to become a contributing member of our forum.

Reference:

MB’s perspective…https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/Sta...lushSept04.pdf

Brake fluid performance characteristics...http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...fluid_1a.shtml

Originally Posted by RedG
Not to discount your advice, but brake fluid is actually 'consumed' Dot3 and Dot4 fluids are partly water, and it gets hot and the water portion evaporates, leading to degradation of internal brake components. I.E. Brake lines, fittings, flex hoses, and most importantly the ABS pump.

If your fluid was low enough to have the light come on for any reason and for any length of time it should be flushed, period. Besides the fact that the brake pads are likely well worn from new, and nearly in need of replacement in this case anyways.

That aside brake fluid also becomes acidic (just like coolant) and needs to be removed and flush for the exact same reasons as above. The potential to damage vital brake components is enormous and shouldn't be played around with. In fact brake fluid SHOULD be flushed at each and every brake job (whether it is just resurfacing rotors, or a complete overhaul). I mean flushed, not just simply bled, there is a major difference.