C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Different mufflers - who's tried what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by FrankW
borla's not straight through either. AND from the E46 M3 setup I've seen they're definitely not any louder than magnaflow. no drone either.

Supersprint would be a better choice than Remus if you are about to spend $600-700.

Here's the C32 with Kleemann muffler video from inside the car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QuFbp6fczA

are you kidding,, ask any muffler shop or even BORLA, or MAGNAFLOW<,
or racing tech
anyone knows borla's are far louder than magnaflows,, why borla makes so many OFF ROAD mufflers that are for OFF ROAD use only cause they wont pass sound req and laws..

and you say they dont DRONE<, wanna bet, IF YOU DONT HAVE A RESONATOR on , in a V8 merc, they done like ****,, I was at 2 different mufflers shops in the last
4 months and 3 people were taking the magnaflows and borlas OFF their mercs cause of the drone and loudness.

if you do it right, which alot of people dont,, and put high flow bullet resonators on the car, after the X-pipe and before the mufflers, then its true they will not drone nearly as much,, but no one does this unfortunely,, and its what magnaflow and borla recommend,, to use resonators to reduce drone,, and ones they make as they are tuned for the specific frequencies of their mufflers...

but no resonator and you will drone.. for sure..been in 2 mercs with them and one had resonators and was tolerable,, the other merc without resonator sounds like ****,,

jesus..

Last edited by storm; 02-27-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:55 PM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
They were the first of many shops I asked. I was told no way, no how. I will reengage and see if I can't persuade them anyway.

if the muffler shop is good they will do it..

you must use a recirculating saw, that is slow,, so it wont melf tthe plastic,, using a circular saw or dremel will MELT the plastic for sure and *** it up
Old 02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
Originally Posted by storm
or racing tech
anyone knows borla's are far louder than magnaflows,, why borla makes so many OFF ROAD mufflers that are for OFF ROAD use only cause they wont pass sound req and laws..

and you say they dont DRONE<, wanna bet, IF YOU DONT HAVE A RESONATOR on , in a V8 merc, they done like ****,, I was at 2 different mufflers shops in the last
4 months and 3 people were taking the magnaflows and borlas OFF their mercs cause of the drone and loudness.

if you do it right, which alot of people dont,, and put high flow bullet resonators on the car, after the X-pipe and before the mufflers, then its true they will not drone nearly as much,, but no one does this unfortunely,, and its what magnaflow and borla recommend,, to use resonators to reduce drone,, and ones they make as they are tuned for the specific frequencies of their mufflers...

but no resonator and you will drone.. for sure..been in 2 mercs with them and one had resonators and was tolerable,, the other merc without resonator sounds like ****,,

jesus..
depends on the type of borla you buy. they make several mufflers that are geared towards the strip/racing crowd- a few that just barely meet the sound restrictions set by the race class. however, they make a boatload of standard issue street mufflers just like any other reputable brand. comparing apples to apples- they aren't any louder than any of the others- flowmater or magnaflow.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:21 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
or racing tech

jesus..
we're talking about C32 smart guy.

if you have a 55 or any other V8 MB and you want to run magnaflow, flowmaster you are either cheap or don't give a **** about drone.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Old 02-28-2009, 09:56 AM

05 C55
if the muffler shop is good they will do it..

you must use a recirculating saw, that is slow,, so it wont melf tthe plastic,, using a circular saw or dremel will MELT the plastic for sure and *** it up
cutoff wheel and sand down the edge...its really not that difficult. what the hell is a recirculating saw btw????
Old 02-28-2009, 05:30 PM

06 C55
Originally Posted by mkonei
... recirculating ...
I think he probably meant reciprocating ...
Old 03-01-2009, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
Originally Posted by viper501
I think he probably meant reciprocating ...
D@mn- and I thought there was a power took that I didn't own yet
Old 11-09-2009, 06:24 AM

C32 AMG
or racing tech

jesus..

Wow, you just got upset over an exhaust opinion.

also ive noticed that most aftermarket exhaust muffler's say "recommended for offroad use". i think its just to cover their a$$'s but who knows
Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
take some cardboard and make a template of the oem cutout. then measure from the corner. make the same measurement on the opposite side and attach the template. using a cutoff blade or dremmel with a metal bit trim the template leaving a small 1/16" of space and clean it up with a fine file and then sandpaper. easy peazy lemon squeezy!