Bad news

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
We were able to clam the intake to some steel with clamps and bent the bent part of the intake back into shape. Along with some filing too. The part that was bent on the intake manifold was were the emissions things seat into the manifold by the front of the SC.

We also noticed a small crack in the port of the intake manifold that is not to bad but will require a TIG weld. Its looking like I dodged a few bullets for now. Lets just hope no more bad stuff comes about. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

This thing was deffenetly damaged durring shipping, so its making for a few headaches.

Here is a pic of the bent part were were able to bet within a about a millimeter of spec.

pretty obvious it either was dropped or recieved that way...hopefully you can get it fixed.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I just went back to the shop and looked at the SC. There is a fatigue crank that has formed, Its not in a good stop and seems to be growing a bit. I'm told it can be fixed so lets hope for that. The supercharger will be sent to a machine shop that has a skilled welder for repair. Lets hope this is just a set back and not a fatality.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I just went back to the shop and looked at the SC. There is a fatigue crank that has formed, Its not in a good stop and seems to be growing a bit. I'm told it can be fixed so lets hope for that. The supercharger will be sent to a machine shop that has a skilled welder for repair. Lets hope this is just a set back and not a fatality.
you should be fine with that fix, I have seen some things that have come out really good. Our welder fixed a rim once that had a big crack in it that came out stunning...and thats a wheel
Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Those pics ominously remind me of boohoorambler's post in your other thread, about wondering "why were these parts off of the car and for sale in the first place?"

Good luck with the machining and welding - hope that's all it needs... I think it's safe to say that we all want to see this work out well, and the numbers it puts down! Were you still thinking about having the S/C sent-out to be rebuilt, before the initial install?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Guys thanks for the support, I lost alot of sleep last night and when i did sleep I dreamed about bent supercharger (odd but true).

When I walked into the shop this morning I was greeted with a somber hand shake like some one had died.

If I could just buy the Intake manifolds I would do that, but since a new SC is not in my budget at the moment.I will have to have the part properly welded and machined.

I didnt get a picture of the crack but it looks like a hair line crank that made its way down a small part of the intake port. Anyone who knows how cast aluminum cracks it goes through to the other side most of the time.

I the person who will be doing my welding did all the welding on the Dyno-Comp STI race car so i'm sure he knows his stuff.