Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Gauge Question

Thinking about getting a gauge but unsure as to which route I want to go. Just trying to get your guys' opinions.

OBD II gauge (taps OBD II to read) or regular gauge that taps its respective location?

I'm specifically looking to monitor A/F ratio and boost...so my thoughts are thus:

OBDII: I am looking at the Nitrod VPM-100G: http://www.nitrod.com/product.html

Upside: Easy to install and easy to read display, can read many different things (boost, AITs, A/Fs, lateral Gs, 1/4 mile, 0-60, etc...)
Downside: Apparently reads from the stock MAP sensor, so max boost that would be read would be what, 22 psi? I guess my concern is that would I see more boost with a custom dyno tune, LET 185, and headers? pricier maybe?

Regular Gauges:
Upside: cheaper, read more accurate boost because does not read from MAP sensor, but from Y-pipe
Downside: Have to drill holes for wiring maybe, get a gauge pod ($$$), each gauge can USUALLY only read one type of measurement

What are you thoughts? Which route should I go?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 2005 Crossfire SRT-6
Mercedes makes it easy to run wiring... if you open up the fuse box and remove the surround, you can see clear into the drivers foot well. Jake ran all his nitrous electronic thru there. Also, there is a rubber grommet on the side of the fuse box to run the wires out of the box.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thumbs up

I like the idea...........waiting on result.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
the guys at Dyno-Comp recommend "Defi gauges" I've seen them installed they have a very clean look to them.
http://www.defi-shop.com/
Old 03-03-2009, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
Mercedes makes it easy to run wiring... if you open up the fuse box and remove the surround, you can see clear into the drivers foot well. Jake ran all his nitrous electronic thru there. Also, there is a rubber grommet on the side of the fuse box to run the wires out of the box.
that definitely makes things easier if i don't want to go the OBDII route

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
the guys at Dyno-Comp recommend "Defi gauges" I've seen them installed they have a very clean look to them.
http://www.defi-shop.com/
yah they look pretty good online....do they make any OBDII gauges? i couldnt find any
Old 03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
That NITROD looks pretty sweet! Plus it has the added benefit of clearing codes, which it sounds like you and I may need. I might be jumping on that one as well.
Most of the other stuff it does it pretty gimicky I'm sure, ie 1/4 mile, 0-60, G's, HP rating, etc. Still a fun, practical toy and when you figure in the cost of individual guages, pod, and seperate code reader, I think it would end up costing more to go individually.
I will be watching this one with interest...
Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
That NITROD looks pretty sweet! Plus it has the added benefit of clearing codes, which it sounds like you and I may need. I might be jumping on that one as well.
Most of the other stuff it does it pretty gimicky I'm sure, ie 1/4 mile, 0-60, G's, HP rating, etc. Still a fun, practical toy and when you figure in the cost of individual guages, pod, and seperate code reader, I think it would end up costing more to go individually.
I will be watching this one with interest...
exactly! that is why i am very interested in getting one. there website is out of stock and one just sold on the srt6 forum for 160 shipped (obviously used)