C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Power steering fluid suddenly all leaked out!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Power steering fluid suddenly all leaked out!!!

Two days ago, started to back the 2002 C32 (60K miles) out the driveway, and noticed the classic "steering groan" which cars exhibit when they are low on power steering fluid. Pulled the car back in, and noticed a giant pool of PS fluid where the car had been parked. Obviously, the reservoir had drained overnight.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem is? There was no warning. . . car was fine the day before and I have never seen any evidence of leaking. In fact, when oil was changed a month or so ago, there was no evidence of PS fluid on the underbody plastic. For lack of a better description at this point, it appears to me that something in the PS system suddenly "came loose" or "broke."

Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated!!! Also, any hot tips on where to buy not-too-expensive PS fluid for a C32?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i have a small leak on my PS line.. and my PS reservoir is really dirty and covered with fluid.

I just bought PS fluid from any local auto parts and replace as it gets low.

When low, you get that whining sound when turning..

U sure is not your line?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by TopGun32
i have a small leak on my PS line.. and my PS reservoir is really dirty and covered with fluid.

I just bought PS fluid from any local auto parts and replace as it gets low.

When low, you get that whining sound when turning..

U sure is not your line?
At this point, I have no idea where the problem is.

Which line are you referring to? Where should I look?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Vomit
At this point, I have no idea where the problem is.

Which line are you referring to? Where should I look?
Long time no Vomit!

I was out at the track a bit ago with a C32 driver and he had a power steering failure. The seal on the front of the steering pump blew out and the pump simply dumped all the fluid out. We thought the line and come off so we added fluid and when we started the car again it once again dumped it all out.

If the lines look good the rack or the pump is leaking. Hope it is the line as the latter two are not cheap!

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500
I have the same problem, i washed the engine on Friday and bought the expensive MB fluid, I am praying that it is the line that has gone bad, the pump is over $500
Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Long time no Vomit!

I was out at the track a bit ago with a C32 driver and he had a power steering failure. The seal on the front of the steering pump blew out and the pump simply dumped all the fluid out. We thought the line and come off so we added fluid and when we started the car again it once again dumped it all out.

If the lines look good the rack or the pump is leaking. Hope it is the line as the latter two are not cheap!

Good luck.
Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I am taking it to MBSD tomorrow. I will advise on diagnosis.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Rack usually cost the leak problem. Cost is not cheap for the part and labor.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Oh great.

Well, I will make sure to lube my backsides before my service appt.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Try using an aftermarket shop, i recall i had my c320 Rack replaced with labor around 1200$ back in 2003ish. Best of luck, hope is nothing to costly.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Something came up yesterday and I had to cancel my MBSD appointment. I took another look at it this morning, and this is what I was able to determine:

1. I was wrong when I said that the power steering fluid "suddenly all leaked out." Instead, it appears that the PS fluid gradually collected in the underbody plastic pan. It then drained out of the pan when I parked on an incline.

2. The reservoir is holding fluid when the car is not running. The fluid is only being lost when the car is driven.

3. I had my wife turn the wheel lock-to-lock (with the engine running) while I observed in the engine compartment. Right at the point where the wheel hit the lock position (in either direction), a high-pitched noise (almost like a small electric pump) came from under the engine, and smoke started billowing up from the driver side rear of the engine compartment.

So, it seems that power steering fluid is spraying on to the exhaust pipe underneath the engine when the steering wheel approaches the "full lock" position in either direction.

I am really ignorant about steering systems. What does it mean when PS fluid is spraying on the exhaust as the steering wheel is turned all the way in either direction? Rack? Leaky hose?
Old 03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
"the steering wheel is turned all the way in either direction?" = Rack and pinion i recall. Have your car ever been lowered? My c320 was lowered on some H&R coilovers, result in some serious rack and pinion damage from the road in SF.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Nope, never lowered.

I did some more searching, and it appears likely that I have a leak in the pressure line probably near where it connects to the rack. The high-pitched sound which I am hearing is the pressure release valve (or something like that, I forget the exact name) activating when the wheels have reached the end of their travel, at which point the PS pump is still pumping, but the wheels cannot turn anymore, increasing line pressure and requiring the PS pump pressure to be released via the valve. Simultaneously, the high pressure of the pump pumping against the fully turned rack/wheels is causing the little leak to become a high-pressure spray of PS fluid on the exhaust pipe, causing smoke.

Sound like a reasonable hypothesis, or am I missing something?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
I think I found a Technical Service Bulletin for my problem:

"Leaks where Power Steering line meets rack housing"

TSB 20040407
Old 03-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I had a very similar problem in my wife's X5. It was just a hose. I also ignored it for a while. My indy mechanic said doing so I was risking damaging the pump - at a much larger expense. So change out the hose and see what happens. It's a cheap fix.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Oops, the TSB number I posted is actually just the TSB date code.

The correct TSB number appears to be:

P-46_20-16 for 6 cylinder W203s

P-46_20-10 for 4 cylinder W203s
Old 03-15-2009, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Let us know the updates, i think with out a warranty can you ask for the TSB fix at the stealership?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
No, I don't think it will be covered by warranty. For those of us without warranty, the TSB just allows us to possibly avoid the "diagnostics" charge at the dealer and allows us to have a pretty good idea what the dealer experience is going to cost (I am still trying to get MBSD to tell me what this repair costs).

In other words, the TSB allows us without warranties to do a cost-benefit analysis of tackling the job DIY. There is a good thread on the W203 forum with photos of how to fix the problem (seach "smoke" in thread titles on the W203 forum).
Old 10-01-2009, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question

Sorry to bring this out but for a month now I've had the typical PS sound but my steering wheel turns fine and no leaks appear...my question is what you guys think is my issue or upcoming issue? Where can I start looking for PS pumps online? Did anyone do a DIY and write it up?