C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

For Those With Glycol Contamination Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
yup, I swapped out my radiator with a behr just as preventative maintence, that and the cps sensor.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
D Star, all of your symptoms are EXACTLY what glycol contamination will do. INCLUDING the dronning noise. INCLUDING the shaking on acceleration. You can almost be sure that you have glycol contamination. have a glycol test done soon. and also, disconnecting the battery is not going to FIX anything.

Last edited by hammertime21; 03-20-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 PM

C32
I have the exact same droning / metal to metal clinking sound coming from my transmission.

Got a glycol test and it was negative... wtf?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Whats the history of car? what year? it may have had glycol contamination in the past, someone may have changed fluid and filter and has fairly new trans fluid in it, in which glycol may not show up in your fluid. but the glycol has already done its damage to torque converter and clutch material. this is just a possibility, you may have a different problem.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:34 AM

Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Originally Posted by hammertime21
Whats the history of car? what year? it may have had glycol contamination in the past, someone may have changed fluid and filter and has fairly new trans fluid in it, in which glycol may not show up in your fluid. but the glycol has already done its damage to torque converter and clutch material. this is just a possibility, you may have a different problem.
One question Hammertime21, since I have had the tranny, torque converter, radiator, and tcu replaced about a year ago and about 9k ago, then why am I getting the droning/grinding sound? I am almost positive that the noise is torque converter related. I drive my car pretty hard, but there is no way that within 9k miles my transmission was contaminated again.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:54 AM

05 CLK55
D Star, all of your symptoms are EXACTLY what glycol contamination will do. INCLUDING the dronning noise. INCLUDING the shaking on acceleration. You can almost be sure that you have glycol contamination. have a glycol test done soon. and also, disconnecting the battery is not going to FIX anything.
Hi Hammertime, thank you very much for your offer, it's really kind of you I will take the car to the dealership or technician next week and get a quick read. But I am really tending towards a bad TB and plug wires.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:11 AM

05 CLK55
Originally Posted by alkrstev
One question Hammertime21, since I have had the tranny, torque converter, radiator, and tcu replaced about a year ago and about 9k ago, then why am I getting the droning/grinding sound? I am almost positive that the noise is torque converter related. I drive my car pretty hard, but there is no way that within 9k miles my transmission was contaminated again.
This is what makes me think about the Throttle Body. I did a search and read that there are 2 cables from the TB; one from the gas pedal and one to the transmission.

"The one to the tranny is often called a 'kickdown cable', because it tells the transmission when to 'kickdown' to a lower gear. Pressing hard on the gas pedal makes the car downshift (should anyway) because the kickdown cable to the tranny gets pulled tight also. The tighter the pressure on the kickdown, the less pedal pressure it will take to make it downshift."

The drone sound is usually associated with the jerk at heavy throttle. The car feels lack of power and very lean, if you know what i mean. IMO, this is because the car doesn't downshift. Does it sound logical?

I don't think and I try to hide from the fact the problem is due to glycol contamination. However, I do have reasons to support this. I looked up many threads related to Glycol Contamination, most people who experienced GC would feel the jerk at 1500-2000 rpm from 1st gear to 2nd. In my/our case, the jerk is usually from 2nd to 3rd. If it were the Torque Converter, it wouldn't really make sense that we don't get the jerk from 1st to 2nd, but instead from 2nd to 3rd. Now the droning, since alkrstev has had everything replaced and still experience the drone, it doesn't seem like the drone is transmission related. Plus C32_Underdog is getting the drone even with glycol tested negative. Therefore I don't think the problem is glycol related. Just what I think, I have no knowledge in this stuff.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
You can reset/clear the adaptations in the TCU through STAR. Then go through the adaptation process for the torque converter lockup clutch and the transmission shift points. This is done primarily when you replace the TCU with a new unit or to address drivability issues (ie hard shifts, jerkiness, drone noise from torque converter or valve body).

You have to do this with STAR or something similar because you need the live data in order to calibrate the adaptation data.

One caveat is that you must first fix the glycol contamination problem by replacing the radiator first and do a tranny fluid flush. I don't really think replacing the whole transmission is necessary though. As long as you do a good tranny fluid flush and clean the valve body, then it should be okay.

Last edited by pshek; 03-21-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I understand that all the adaptations are cleared by simply using the quick ECU reset, but I have done it numerous times and it does not have the same effect as disconnecting the battery. Once I disconnect the battery for an hour, the car feels like there is a new engine in it and also more responsive and shifts more smoothly. I actually did the quick ECU reset 2 days ago, but it was nowhere near as efficient as disconnecting the battery.
The quick ECU reset isn't really a reset. The process does not clear or reset the adaption data in the ECU. It only fools the drive by wire TPS because you held the kickdown switch with the key in the ignition. You can do the same thing while you're driving. Just punch the throttle a couple of times, and after the second time it will have a quicker throttle response.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:51 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by D_Star
This is what makes me think about the Throttle Body. I did a search and read that there are 2 cables from the TB; one from the gas pedal and one to the transmission.

"The one to the tranny is often called a 'kickdown cable', because it tells the transmission when to 'kickdown' to a lower gear. Pressing hard on the gas pedal makes the car downshift (should anyway) because the kickdown cable to the tranny gets pulled tight also. The tighter the pressure on the kickdown, the less pedal pressure it will take to make it downshift."

The drone sound is usually associated with the jerk at heavy throttle. The car feels lack of power and very lean, if you know what i mean. IMO, this is because the car doesn't downshift. Does it sound logical?

I don't think and I try to hide from the fact the problem is due to glycol contamination. However, I do have reasons to support this. I looked up many threads related to Glycol Contamination, most people who experienced GC would feel the jerk at 1500-2000 rpm from 1st gear to 2nd. In my/our case, the jerk is usually from 2nd to 3rd. If it were the Torque Converter, it wouldn't really make sense that we don't get the jerk from 1st to 2nd, but instead from 2nd to 3rd. Now the droning, since alkrstev has had everything replaced and still experience the drone, it doesn't seem like the drone is transmission related. Plus C32_Underdog is getting the drone even with glycol tested negative. Therefore I don't think the problem is glycol related. Just what I think, I have no knowledge in this stuff.
I hope you do find someone to truely fix the problem, so you can enjoy your car. There is no cable to the throttle body, its fully electronic. the gas pedal is a sensor. also there is no cable to the transmission, it is also electronicly controlled, other than having a physical connection with shifter. However, it is somewhat difficult to completely diagnose a problem like this without even driving the car to feel what it is doing. There is a FACTORY service bulletin for this specific complaint, including the droning noise and torque converter characteristics, shaking/shutter on accel and decel. it has to do with Glycol contamination. But dont get me wrong, you may truely have a different problem. I wish you the best.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:59 PM

2002 C32 AMG
If you had the radiator replaced with a Behr, a new transmission and torque converter, and TCU, then there should be absolutly no reason for you to have a problem with transmission, other than a failed part(should be under warranty). the work and parts should have atleast a 1 year/ 12,000 mile warranty...right? who did the work? rebuilt or brand NEW transmission? But, Ya, you should not have a problem. sorry to hear that.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:36 AM

[QUOTE=hammertime21;3422646]If you had the radiator replaced with a Behr, a new transmission and torque converter, and TCU, then there should be absolutly no reason for you to have a problem with transmission, other than a failed part(should be under warranty). the work and parts should have atleast a 1 year/ 12,000 mile warranty...right? who did the work? rebuilt or brand NEW transmission? But, Ya, you should not have a problem. sorry to hear that.[/

I dont have any serious problems with the transmission that I cannot live without. I am used to almost all the problems this car has to offer. All my parts were replaced by Mercedes (with an extended warranty), and I dont think that I have any other issues besides the adaptation of the torque converter. My transmission was brand new, and I am not sure which radiator they have put in, but I am going to check it on monday. I wont have any extended warranty on the car in 3 days. I honestly dont think that there is anything seriously wrong with my car. Thank you for your advice hammertime21, I completely forgot that it matters which brand radiator you have in your car. I am taking my car into the dealership for realignment (they did alignment twice, and my car still pulls to the right), so I am going to ask them which brand of radiator they put in it.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 AM

2005 Silver E55
Are you serious?.?... I would like to know how you think the dealer caused the IC pump to go bad.... please tell me. the factory ones fail all the freakin time, its so common. you can count on the factory IC pump to fail like clockwork. I would also like to know how a ECU update will cause problems, it WILL NOT. Ok, You own a 2002 C32 AMG. Same as mine (02 C32). guess what... it has or had a crappy valeo radiator, it leaks coolant(glycol) into transmission. this obviously causes all kinds of really bad symptoms. do a glycol test. 100ppm and you need to replace radiator with a Behr and flush entire trans system. if symptoms still exist after that, flush system again and replace torque converter. if you have over 400ppm glycol, your transmission is JUNK. the only way to have over 400 ppm glycol, is that you have had glycol contamination for a LONG TIME. All your sypmtoms are exactly what glycol contamination will do. Please dont try to blame it on the dealer, lets just be honest here. You can send me a sample of your trans fluid, and I will do a glycol test, for FREE. 90% of the benz's with the bad valeo radiator were fixed properly years ago. because they had their cars serviced at the dealer, because the dealer knew about the problem early and fixed it under warranty. they replaced the radiator before it caused serious contamination. People had no idea there was glycol in transmission until the glycol contamination got SO HIGH, it caused serious drivability problems. Good luck getting a transmission to perform properly after glycol has been in transmission for 4-5 years!! I dont care how many times you flush it.
I'm sorry if I'm being a little harsh, but just stating the facts.
What I know FOR SURE is that my car had none of these issues before I brought it to the dealer. They performed the recall fix for the air pump relay (or something like that) and an ECU flash. I have read on this board that many other owners have the same IC Pump failure and drone symptoms after the ECU flash and air pump relay fix. You are right though! It makes no sense whatsoever... Why would something like that cause these issues? Sounds like MB isn't telling the truth about what they are doing to our cars. Point blank... Never had a drone, or a shimmy, or strange vibrations, or an IC pump failure until right after I got the car back from the dealer. Years of trouble free operation... You do the math! Maybe it is a scam for MB to get you to buy a new car or something like that. Whatever, I never take my car to MB dealer to fix anything anymore...
Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 AM

2005 Silver E55
- BS
Old 05-08-2009, 02:46 AM

I hope someone finds a solution to this problem. I am still experiencing the drone and the slight surge at partial throttle. The thing that bothers me the most is when you turn, and you try to get on the gas a little to accelerate out of the turn, the car surges forward a little and than it stops, and then slowly gets up to speed. Also,, I got another problem with the car pulling to the right. I did alignment 3 times( after putting 4 brand new tires on) and still pulls to the right. MB told me that it pulls because the street tilts to the right which is . This car has been nothing but problems. Sooo expensive to maintain.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Wow. I dont know/havent really checked to see if I have similar symptoms (is this common in/on these cars?) but I just googled glycol contamination-and the fix seems...spendy. 50/50 Union Carbid mix with mineral oil, then a 60/40 R&O with kerosene, then remove and inspect journal bearings, cranks, ect-sounds like an issue not to get!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by rockjock
Wow. I dont know/havent really checked to see if I have similar symptoms (is this common in/on these cars?) but I just googled glycol contamination-and the fix seems...spendy. 50/50 Union Carbid mix with mineral oil, then a 60/40 R&O with kerosene, then remove and inspect journal bearings, cranks, ect-sounds like an issue not to get!
c55's will not have this issue with glycol contamination, dont worry. the glycol contamination is with coolant getting into transmission, not the engine.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 AM

SRT-6
A little story for Mother's day. I have a SRT6 Crossfire that had similar symptoms. I didn't think much about it at the time because they were present from the day I drove the car off the lot. I just thought MB built weird, bad shifting transmissions for these cars. At around 1200 miles I noticed a fluid leak under the car, took it in, had the tranny TSB done and they told me it was 1 quart low. Got the car back and it's never shifted so good. The vibrations that I suspected were the tires from sitting on the lot for 2 years were also gone. Have the dealer check the level again and check for contamination. (on Xfires you need a starscan to check the level properly, I'm told)

Les
Old 05-12-2009, 08:43 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ptirado961
- BS
so you are calling BullS$!T. Sorry, but there is a FACTORY MERCEDES BENZ SERVICE BULLETIN that has been out for years about this:
I'm reading it right now:

Harsh transmission engagement followed by Droning/Buzzing noises during acceleration. Glycol Contamination

Thats the basic jist of it, it does go on and on into greater detail though(5 PAGES!). No BS here, just facts.

Ptirado961, how is your transmission shifting right now? I know mine is absolutly Perfect. Keep driving your car like that and see what happens....

You know, Kia has a 10 year/100K warranty, you might consider looking into that..

Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
Guys my story is weird!!!
On 5\5\09 i received my ECU from Jerry, he was doing me a retune cause i have a lean issue, but the weird thing is that I noticed that the jerk that i have from 1500 to 2000 rpm has gone. The jerk was very hard, if I don't want to say that it has gone 100%, I can hardly feel it now. So what do you say guys????????????
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Jerry has once again shown that he can fix all. good job Jerry (and Robert-if the prob is gone, lets pretend it never happened )
Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
he didn't solve the Lean problem at high rpm.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:46 PM

He cant do it ALL at once-that'd be almost well....you know
I'm sure he's working on it right now-and creating something uber kewl for us 55 guys....right?