C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

522wtq 449whp! the car is complete!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by jturkel
when hooley was NA, he had the renntech intake, a custom race gas tune (100 octane), full true dual exhaust with deleted secondaries, renntech shorty headers, and DRs. i think he still had the stock crank pulley

regarding the weight of the car.....hooley isn't exactly a lightweight per se. he weighs in over at least 200 (sorry hooley if you read this lol)
I'm pretty sure they were the Evosport shorty headers..
Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by wawy
I'm pretty sure they were the Evosport shorty headers..
ah. you are correct. i stand corrected! thank you! i do remember they were of mild steel and there were some areas that were leaking b/c of that material.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Turk you $#%*@! i was just about to get a cheese stake sandwich! Now I think I'll have a salad. For the record I'm 6-1" 218lbs. If you think the c55 looked funny with me in it.. You should see the SL. And yes, I had Evosport headers.

NA mods:
Renntech airbox
evosport headers
custom true dual exhaust
random tech primary cats.
renntech tune (no 100oct when I was NA)
max power on a dyno dynamics was like 355whp on a good day.
best 1/4 when NA 12.8

I did E55 cams and seen zero gain when I was supercharged
Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
hooley - so is Dynocomp still a Renntech dealer? I'm thinking I should probably get a map for the airbox one of these days...
Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Thanks Hooley!
You blazed some serious trails with this car for us late-comers.
We're all hungry for any tech help on the n/a 55 cars.
Unlike the fox mustang or LSX motors there is little published data on combo's that REALLY work.

Last edited by betrezra; 12-28-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: PC
Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 AM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None fast enough!
ah. you are correct. i stand corrected! thank you! i do remember they were of mild steel and there were some areas that were leaking b/c of that material.
John, this is not a true statement and I am not sure why you are attempting to bash on our product.

We ELECT to use Mild Steel as it is a superior product when dealing with high exhaust gas temps as compared to standard stainless. The higher carbon content allows for more elasticity and they will not become brittle with time like 305 SS. The down side is rust, but we offer a LIFETIME warranty against corrosion and rust.

Thanks
Brad
Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 PM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
Agree. My C32 set leaked at the collector. Sounded like a diesel engine. I found that out after I installed them. I removed them like two or three years ago. I welded the crap out of them to try and fix it. Finally said screw it and used them as high performance art deco in my game room...LOL I bought them off a member so who knows.....They looked brand new

Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
John, this is not a true statement and I am not sure why you are attempting to bash on our product.

We ELECT to use Mild Steel as it is a superior product when dealing with high exhaust gas temps as compared to standard stainless. The higher carbon content allows for more elasticity and they will not become brittle with time like 305 SS. The down side is rust, but we offer a LIFETIME warranty against corrosion and rust.

Thanks
Brad
Brad,

Last time I checked, you were not present when I inspected the headers on and off the car with Hooley and saw the sources of the leaks with my own two eyes. Being that you weren't there, it is impossible that you were able to discern whether there were leaks present or not. So unless you have access to a spy satellite that can zoom in on a pin hole inside a garage OR are invisible and undetectable by my superman-like keen senses OR are my evil twin OR are able to access the knowledge in my brain through some kind of supranormal powers, buzz off. And i suppose that mdncn2762 must also be saying incorrect information about his headers....i guess you had your powers to use then too.

Regarding Evosport, I am not bashing your product and I take offense to your post..... as a former Evosport customer (i purchased an Evosport 178mm Dampened Crank Pulley Kit for the c32), I do not appreciate your reaching out and attempting to discredit and question what I say. Such exemplary (cough, cough, sorry i have TB) customer service will make me think twice before considering purchasing a performance product from your company again when I upgrade to a new AMG in the near future.

I am glad you offer a LIFETIME warranty (nice shameless plug in another person's thread). I am also glad you elect to use what you wish to use for your products and continue doing. That's what makes this a free country.

Yours truly,

Josh
Old 12-28-2010, 03:39 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Josh, (edited)

I never said there were not leaks, I said that they were not due to material choice, which was your allegation.

I take great offense to your post, as it is a clear bash at the product and the choice of materil used to build it.

Moreso, had Hooley (or any customer) contacted us with issues, they are taken care of, period.

As for the record, I was brought into this thread by your comments, so I will not "buzz off" - that comment is just condescending and rude.

Thanks
Brad

Last edited by brad @ evosport; 12-28-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
John,

I never said there were not leaks, I said that they were not due to material choice, which was your allegation.

I take great offense to your post, as it is a clear bash at the product and the choice of materil used to build it.

Moreso, had Hooley (or any customer) contacted us with issues, they are taken care of, period.

As for the record, I was brought into this thread by your comments, so I will not "buzz off" - that comment is just condescending and rude.

Thanks
Brad
The guy's name is Josh. If you didn't know his name before, he signed his post at the bottom.

I also don't know what is better, use a questionable material or shipping a defective product.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
John,

Thanks
Brad
First off, stop calling me John. You must have missed the bolded part of my post, clearly showing my name is NOT John. I suppose I could start calling you Brittany in my posts....

Regarding your comment on electing to choose mild steel reinforced with carbon to make it stronger and more resistant blah blah.....

not sure if you took chemistry, organic chemistry, or biochemistry like i had to in college to get into medical school, but if you did you forgot a couple important things about solids, energy, alloys, and some important reactions...

your rust resulting in leaks comes from the higher carbon content of your mild steel. Sure, it is needed for hardness (carbon fiber anyone?) but it is the higher content of carbon that is responsible for corrosion at high temperatures. To dumb it down as much as i can, when when the typical chromium-nickel steel is heated to a higher temperature range experienced from exhaust, the carbon in the steel reacts with chromium to form chromium carbides (carbide precipitation). This reduces the corrosion resistance of the steel. There are stainless steels that have low carbon grades to minimize this carbide precipitation.

Regarding thermodynamics and heat transfer, mild steel conducts more than twice the amount of heat per foot than stainless steel. You are therefore losing heat. More heat stays inside of the stainless steel headers as it has a MUCH lower coefficient of thermal conductivity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity) and is not lost to the surroundings. Therefore exhaust gases in stainless steel do NOT cool nearly as much as what is seen in mild steel, the molecules maintain their high kinetic energy, and a higher exhaust velocity is seen, which is better for exhaust scavenging. Velocity and high temps are gooood. That is what results in a more efficient header. It is the high heat conductivity properties of the mild steel that destine it for failure. Too much heat retention = fail, breaks, etc

Thanks Brad,

Josh
Old 12-28-2010, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
And I did forget to mention that increased carbon means increased rigidity and therefore decreased elasticity. Elasticity is crucial to have to conduct high temps through headers to allow for expansion
Old 12-28-2010, 04:23 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Josh, (Sorry, I do tend to call you John as I knew a John Turkle very well and it is default)

Your post is correct about facts, however it does not address our headers and does not apply. What you stated would be accurate without coating.

Our headers have a 2 stage TBC and offers a lifetime of resistance. ANY customer that has such an issue only need to contact us and the header will be replaced (this has happened 3 times in 10 years).

This coating will reduce the heat transfer to the metal a tremendous amount. For example, on a car with EGT temps of 1300 degrees, you would typically see header surface temp of 890 and a radiated heat of 190. With the coating, the radiated heat drops to 70, a drop of 120 degrees.

Also, for your record, your posts continue to be rude and condescending. No, I did not have to take the same chemistry classes on the way to my JD/MBA as you did to your MD - however, your implication and attempt to make yourself look superior by dropping your education is not missed.

You know there are ways to have discussions without such aggression. I hope that you can reach that level on this forum, it would benefit all involved.

thanks
Brad
Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Brad - do you all make long tube headers for the clk55 w209? I'm thinking that is the next step for my ride.

Hooleys car is a BEAST!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Thanks for the question. We do not, but I am sure that Mike (Hooley) can get those fabbed up for you.

Thanks
Brad
Old 12-28-2010, 08:14 PM

05 C55
well...I read this a few times over, and while its not the most favorable position on the material that other manufacturers have chosen to make their headers from, I hardly see it as a bash. this forum has become such a joke lately, and the posts that follow the one that turkel made, are evidence of that. I remember a ways back, advising a previous manufacturer with a snake oil TCU tune, that they should hire someone to post in their name... someone who simply wont **** people off, and force their consumers to look at another manufacturers product...well, anyone in this forum need a PR job???
Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Yikes! what happened here? For the record my evosport header didn't leak. the exhaust leak I had was from my random tech cats. I bought the evosport headers from evosport, because I felt they were the best design for a shorty bolt on header. If fact they still might be the best design for a shorty header currently available.

Then I had a leak with my long tubes after I separated the the slip joint collector from a dug out speed bump that the city was replacing. So I did have some exhaust leaks, but the were from a missed weld when I installed my random tech cats int he primary location. Right by the headers. So I can see why Turk may have thought it was coming from the evo headers. In fact I thought it was at first.

As for mild steel vs stainless steel... You can google that and find out.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Yikes! what happened here? For the record my evosport header didn't leak. the exhaust leak I had was from my random tech cats. I bought the evosport headers from evosport, because I felt they were the best design for a shorty bolt on header. If fact they still might be the best design for a shorty header currently available.

Then I had a leak with my long tubes after I separated the the slip joint collector from a dug out speed bump that the city was replacing. So I did have some exhaust leaks, but the were from a missed weld when I installed my random tech cats int he primary location. Right by the headers. So I can see why Turk may have thought it was coming from the evo headers. In fact I thought it was at first.

As for mild steel vs stainless steel... You can google that and find out.
no header leak? perhaps my mind is failing me too soon. I guess I stand corrected.

Brad, I apologize for incorrectly saying that the evosport exhaust headers were there the source of the exhaust leak. i hope you can accept my sincere apology

regarding my comment about the types of material from which headers can be manufactured, i still stand by that.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Ive been on slkworld and wondering about a setup like this. Nice to see someone did it. I also that car is no more. Ever think about running a piggy back to convert to map (speed density) to lose the maf calibration/flow restriction issues. In the supra world other then standalone, we use mapecu
http://www.mapecu.co.nz/ I wonder if this would be compatible, i know other tuning would still be required but this would simplify the intake flow problems. Im an mb tech and in the future plan to do this to an slk55, and just swap the pistons to the lower compression ones while in the process. Originally i pondered about oem kompressor, harness and m.e. but it wont be compatible or able to communicate properly with the central gateway and 7speed transmission. Then i found this thread and the build thread. Great work, and thanks for sharing all the information. I never really though about just running the supercharger clutch as a constant on, and disabling the bypass, but it all makes since and simplifies things. Id much rather stick to oem as im very familiar with it and its readily available.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
Ive been on slkworld and wondering about a setup like this. Nice to see someone did it. I also that car is no more. Ever think about running a piggy back to convert to map (speed density) to lose the maf calibration/flow restriction issues. In the supra world other then standalone, we use mapecu
http://www.mapecu.co.nz/ I wonder if this would be compatible, i know other tuning would still be required but this would simplify the intake flow problems. Im an mb tech and in the future plan to do this to an slk55, and just swap the pistons to the lower compression ones while in the process. Originally i pondered about oem kompressor, harness and m.e. but it wont be compatible or able to communicate properly with the central gateway and 7speed transmission. Then i found this thread and the build thread. Great work, and thanks for sharing all the information. I never really though about just running the supercharger clutch as a constant on, and disabling the bypass, but it all makes since and simplifies things. Id much rather stick to oem as im very familiar with it and its readily available.
I'd PM Mike (Hooley) or call him.....he's got all the knowledge about this project!!!

I think it would have been easier for him to just go with a Kleemann for the C55 engine, but he did what he did!! Too bad car was totaled in wreck. The car was an 11.7 car at about 120. (at that time, modded C63 territory). Now the 63s are in the 10s at 131.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
I need to figure out the best way to go with a supercharger kit.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by MBfinatic
I need to figure out the best way to go with a supercharger kit.
I suggest you get a used Kleemann twin-screw. Blackbenzz holds the overall MB quarter-mile record at 10.57.

As for my car, I am resuming my project this month when my tax refunds of $27K is deposited into my account. So Dynocomp or Evosport if you guys are reading this you will be expecting a phone call from me in a matter of days.

My car has been running very strong on only 5psi but am planning to install my smaller SC pulley combined with the larger crank pulley to get to 1bar psi.

With Hooley's long tubes, a new 109/91 oct tune from Renntech/Dynocomp and weight saving vented CF hood, drag radials, lighter wheels I have aspirations of shooting for the overall record myself early this year.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
ok.
are u interested in a cf hood group buy?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by MBfinatic
ok.
are u interested in a cf hood group buy?
Yes I am but I'm not going to wait forever on this process to get going.

I'm waiting on the Ebay vented hood. I'm either going to pay him $1400 shipped for a silver Euro style vented one or we get a group buy on this hood at a price in the neighborhood of what the previous poster stated.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Yes I am but I'm not going to wait forever on this process to get going.

I'm waiting on the Ebay vented hood. I'm either going to pay him $1400 shipped for a silver Euro style vented one or we get a group buy on this hood at a price in the neighborhood of what the previous poster stated.
well you want to help us get this group buy started. I dont know how to get this going..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 522wtq 449whp! the car is complete!