Odd Error Message - Oil Overfilled?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Odd Error Message - Oil Overfilled?

I changed my oil and filter about a week ago. I siphoned out almost an exact 8.5qts and put back 8qts before checking after everything had settled and run for awhile. The next day check the level and the readout said 8.1qts exact. I added another half qt and then the reading went to 8.7qts after warming up and settling again.
That should be spot on. When I watched the levels on the readout with the car running, the level would drop down to as low as 6.6qts, obviously due to the oil being circulated in the system.
Since changing the oil I've probably put almost 500 miles on the car and just hit the dyno this weekend and romped on her with no issues (overboost CEL but separate deal).
This morning I am almost to work and got a red screen that said my oil level was too high and to check immediately. When I parked the car I checked the generic screen and it said to perform service on time. After it cools down more I will go back out and check the actual level again but this has me perplexed. Was it a fluke warning? My fear is something else is added to my oil adding volume.....i.e. coolant or something. More to come.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
could be fluke-do you monitor with any gauges (coolant temp, ect)? If you heated up a little-you could be getting some coolant in there-but it would take a little to get there-
did you drain from both plugs (I only bring this up as it was just mentioned in another thread)...
Check it cold and see where she sits-but I think it might be a fluke...
Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Checked the level at lunch before starting the car and it read 7.8qts. Must be a fluke, but it definitely wasn't because it was too warm or anything like that. Stupid electronics....
Old 03-31-2009, 02:56 PM

yeah....we own the wrong cars if you're complaining about electronics....I'm afeered of swaping brake pads on this thing....
Old 03-31-2009, 04:29 PM

06 C55
I'd say you've got a sensor that had a hiccup. Hopefully, not a fatal hiccup but possible. i *HATE* that these cars don't have a real honest to goodness dipstick. I mean, c'mon, how much did Mercedes really save with that one? Idiots.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by viper501
I'd say you've got a sensor that had a hiccup. Hopefully, not a fatal hiccup but possible. i *HATE* that these cars don't have a real honest to goodness dipstick. I mean, c'mon, how much did Mercedes really save with that one? Idiots.
+1......you can actually purchase a dipstick specific for the car. i found one online the other day for like 15-30 bucks (i honestly dont remember the exact price, thus the wide range lol)
Old 03-31-2009, 04:41 PM

plz post where at....I want a dipstick-that'll add like 7.2 whp fo sho.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:48 PM

03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
It's not how much money MB can save on the dipstick. It's how much money MB makes over its customers when they have to bring the car back for such warning. It would be $165 just to tell you you need to add or extract 1/2 quart lol.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Kinda off topic but How did u get ur display to show oil level (8qt, 7qt)? I thought the display only shows "Add 1qt" "Engine oil level OK".....
Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Mine has prompted the same spurious ‘engine oil level above max’ warning on occasion.
Although the ‘02’s manual lists 8.5 quarts as its refill capacity, it has never needed that much after an oil & filter replacement – whether drained via extraction or the plug – to reach its specified level.

Early in the model run, MB issued a DTB revising the M112’s sump capacity to address this issue. Could very well be a defective sensor, too. The electronic bits fitted during the DaimlerChrysler AG era were seldom their strongest suit.

I use MB’s workshop method to establish the proper level after an oil change. A ~172mm level reading in the sump equates to ~8.0 quarts in dyno mode, and an ‘OK’ on the conventional measuring display.
It’s more accurate to use a #120 589 07 21 00 measuring rod, IMHO.

Last edited by splinter; 10-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Wow.. C32 shows that on the display huh?? That's pretty cool! But yea.. Can't beat a real dip-stick though..
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Great info as always Splinter.
It gave me the same message as I was driving home from work. I siphoned .2qts (reads exactly 8qts now) and will see if it does it again to me tomorrow. If it does, time to see if warranty will cover it. Those warranty folks are never going to let me renew!haha
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM

06 C55
In looking at the C55 pdf, it makes me wonder whether the stick can be left in situ or if you have to remove it each time. Anyone know?

And, to comment on Quicktwinturbo's post, I thought that there was a software way to read the engine oil level.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
In looking at the C55 pdf, it makes me wonder whether the stick can be left in situ or if you have to remove it each time. Anyone know?

And, to comment on Quicktwinturbo's post, I thought that there was a software way to read the engine oil level.
I know that a software that displays amount of fuel in the tank... Not sure about oil level.. It's prolly a lot cheaper to get a dipstick for the most accurate meassure though
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
I know that a software that displays amount of fuel in the tank... Not sure about oil level.. It's prolly a lot cheaper to get a dipstick for the most accurate meassure though
Please read the sticky about the Dyno Mode. It will tell you how to put the C55 into dyno mode and get the oil level read out, similar to the picture splinter posted up here.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Please read the sticky about the Dyno Mode. It will tell you how to put the C55 into dyno mode and get the oil level read out, similar to the picture splinter posted up here.
I know how to put the car in dynomode.. as I flip'd through the screen, I didn't see any thing about oil.. I'll check out the sticky thread again

Thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
I know how to put the car in dynomode.. as I flip'd through the screen, I didn't see any thing about oil.. I'll check out the sticky thread again

Thanks
On my car, as soon as I enter dyno mode, I turn the ignition one more click (second position) and it reads the oil level then.