C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Ooops, Broke my blower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Crossfire SRT6
Sorry to hear about your car. Come out and practice the tree with the mini-van. Went again last night and won $125 bucks.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Koru_Kinshi
Oops??? That's a pretty relaxed response for your SC blowing up. :P
most of my parts on my car are MB OEM parts so and were bought new so I'm not to worried. things happen so it is what it is. Hoping to have the best cooling mods this forum has ever seen when I'm done. My IAT's were about 100 degrees so that was only 12 degrees over ambient temps. Under WOT they would climb to 135 degrees. (IAT's monitored just after intercooler) I hoping with the new Eurocharged Heat exchanger and some intercooler mods I will be able to lower My IAT's to a nice cool temp.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Was the charger bought from a MB dealer? Warranty on it might be hard to pull off if it's on a modified vehicle. MB requires this type of parts warranty done through their own service dept once they see the C55 .........
+1, I would be concerned about this as well, if it were me. Taking an OEM part for a different vehicle, bolting it up with a lot of custom parts (crank pulley, intake, no S/C clutch engagement, etc.) to get it to work on a vehicle that didn't have it from the factory... might really need your dealer's SA to go to bat for you with MBUSA to get this warrantied. If you bought factory new SL65 turbos and then custom-fabbed parts to fit them to your C55... would you think MBUSA would warranty them if they failed within a month after install?

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
After reviewing my paper work I guess I bought a New "refurbished" supercharger from the Dealer. When I read that I was like" Well that explains it" I will have a new blower in this week. The parts guys at my local dealer are really good guys and they will take care of me.
Do the refurbs carry the same warranty as a new, factory-fresh unit? Probably do, I would think - but it'd be worth confirming. Best of luck with your repairs - sounds like it'll be even more of a beast once this bump in the road is past.

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 04-26-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Yes refurbs come with the same warranty. The problem is that it's really not up to the parts dept. If he is doesn't have much experience with the MB warranty process you might be lucky and get the S/C out of him, but over the counter you don't process much warranty claims if at all. Unless it's for a broken umbrella or key chain which usually justs get written off because it's not worth the hassle. If you do end up getting the SC the parts counterman will end up in some heat because MB requires that you return the defective items back to corporate for quality evaluation once they notice the price of the item and its not done through the proper warranty process the dealer will get a charge back. I use to work in this dept for two years sending back defective products and let me tell you I only remember two instances when I sent back a S/C so they will be putting the claim under a microscope. This really isnt your concern though as long as you get a new SC
Old 04-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Here is my take. Lots of take there car to an independent service facility for work. If the part fails and its a new OEM mercedes part, those people are still given the same warranty. I do not expect any problems from the dealer

Yes the supercharger will be send to Mercedes for inspection and They will find that the supercharger has a faulty part.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
hooley maybe you could start a thread showing all your cooling mods. im very interested in keeping mine mostly stock but cooling th s/c always helps!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Will do.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is my take. Lots of take there car to an independent service facility for work. If the part fails and its a new OEM mercedes part, those people are still given the same warranty.
That is all true - the one important distinction you're either overlooking or dismissing is that this OEM MB part isn't OEM for your vehicle. JonMBZ's comment (if I'm reading it right) is that the "typical warranty process" is that the dealer's service dept. has to do the R&R on the failed part, document their findings, and submit the warranty claim to MBUSA. If they don't, they have to eat the expense - not many dealers are going to want to do that, especially in this economy. If they do the work and submit a warranty claim for a Kompressor off of a modded C55 with several aftermarket and/or custom parts and software installed, MBUSA might just reject it outright anyway.

In the end, there definitely isn't anything to lose in trying to obtain warranty coverage of the failing S/C... I just don't think it's a "lock" to have it covered when it was installed on a car that didn't come with one in the first place. For the record, I hope you can beat the odds and get a replacement for free.

Yes the supercharger will be send to Mercedes for inspection and They will find that the supercharger has a faulty part.
That is also likely true - but reasonably speaking, with this expensive of a replacement part, won't MB want to know about the car it came off of? VIN#, documentation of the original install, analysis of any visible damage and/or mods to the part itself or any parts that directly affect it, etc.?

I wouldn't expect that you'll walk into the parts dept. with it already uninstalled, hand them your current S/C and say "um, I don't think this one's good, I'd like a replacement under warranty" and have them say with a smile "wow, sorry about the inconvenience - let me get you a new one from the back" and a few minutes later you leave with a new one. Then again, I've been wrong before...
Old 04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
That is all true - the one important distinction you're either overlooking or dismissing is that this OEM MB part isn't OEM for your vehicle. JonMBZ's comment (if I'm reading it right) is that the "typical warranty process" is that the dealer's service dept. has to do the R&R on the failed part, document their findings, and submit the warranty claim to MBUSA. If they don't, they have to eat the expense - not many dealers are going to want to do that, especially in this economy. If they do the work and submit a warranty claim for a Kompressor off of a modded C55 with several aftermarket and/or custom parts and software installed, MBUSA might just reject it outright anyway.

In the end, there definitely isn't anything to lose in trying to obtain warranty coverage of the failing S/C... I just don't think it's a "lock" to have it covered when it was installed on a car that didn't come with one in the first place. For the record, I hope you can beat the odds and get a replacement for free.

That is also likely true - but reasonably speaking, with this expensive of a replacement part, won't MB want to know about the car it came off of? VIN#, documentation of the original install, analysis of any visible damage and/or mods to the part itself or any parts that directly affect it, etc.?

I wouldn't expect that you'll walk into the parts dept. with it already uninstalled, hand them your current S/C and say "um, I don't think this one's good, I'd like a replacement under warranty" and have them say with a smile "wow, sorry about the inconvenience - let me get you a new one from the back" and a few minutes later you leave with a new one. Then again, I've been wrong before...

I hear you. My mind is set to totally not think about the possible bad side of this.

I got a good team of guys that are directly affiliated with the dealer that will go to bad for me. Dyno-Comp has a great relationship with the dealer even so much the dealers website as a video bit of what Dyno-Comp does for Mercedes. Not to mention My good friend who happens to be the West Coast Renntech Rep and is affiliated with this dealer. And The guys in the parts dept. are good buddies of mine. I feel really good that this will be a smooth process. This dealer is one of the best dealers around for customer service.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
doh just read this... hope they figure this out!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 PM

MB C32 AMG
When I had my SC replaced (on a C32 that is) the dealer said they need to take a look a the old one to make sure it was not abused in order for them to provide me with a "new" one and me giving them the core so that they don't charge the full price. I was also told that their "new" SC is always a refurbished one, they don't sell brand new SCs
Old 04-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
New supercharger will be in tomorrow. Thats the dealer coming through for ya.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New supercharger will be in tomorrow. Thats the dealer coming through for ya.
LOL... congrats man!

It's not what ya know, it's who ya know, eh?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
LOL... congrats man!

It's not what ya know, it's who ya know, eh?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
glad to hear! Hopefully the new one works out for you. I would hate to see this happen again. Make sure dynocomp takes all the precautions necessary to make sure that it isn't being pushed too hard because these blowers don't give out hardly ever.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
glad to hear! Hopefully the new one works out for you. I would hate to see this happen again. Make sure dynocomp takes all the precautions necessary to make sure that it isn't being pushed too hard because these blowers don't give out hardly ever.
My boost low. I monitor it from the surge tank. They take care of me over there. Even when I ask them to push it they tell me to come back to Earth.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
lol well that's good to know hopefully it works out since you know I am really interested in your setup and I was disappointed when I saw what happened.