C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

suspension tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55 & 06 C230 SS
suspension tuning

so guys im just wondering whats the difference between adjusting ur caster and camber with control arms and caster and camber plates......and which is is better if i want autocross my car k-mac or renntech cam/cast plate
Old 04-26-2009, 11:35 PM

C32
Originally Posted by jayton41
so guys im just wondering whats the difference between adjusting ur caster and camber with control arms and caster and camber plates......and which is is better if i want autocross my car k-mac or renntech cam/cast plate
Usually my street / track alignment setting is:

Camber: -1 to -2 (Subject to which car u have, ride height)
Caster: as front as possible, quicker repsonse to trun the steering wheel to center
Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
The control arm set up is actually a camber bolt-whatever bolt you can get-thats what the setting is-with plates you would have some finer adj avail to you-set up wil depend on what type of track you'll be on, corner weight, tires, speeds-its kinda hard to say "Run -1.5 in the front and -0.5 in the rear and you should be set"-I was constantly adj my camber and sometimes toe on prev cars-castor you shouldnt have to mess too much with-like djoa said-front as possible (you want the engine over or behind the fronts as much as you can get)-
get a set of KW V2-3 (or better yet, club sport)- and you wont need another set up-
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 PM

05 C55 & 06 C230 SS
Originally Posted by rockjock
The control arm set up is actually a camber bolt-whatever bolt you can get-thats what the setting is-with plates you would have some finer adj avail to you-set up wil depend on what type of track you'll be on, corner weight, tires, speeds-its kinda hard to say "Run -1.5 in the front and -0.5 in the rear and you should be set"-I was constantly adj my camber and sometimes toe on prev cars-castor you shouldnt have to mess too much with-like djoa said-front as possible (you want the engine over or behind the fronts as much as you can get)-
get a set of KW V2-3 (or better yet, club sport)- and you wont need another set up-
how do u know that kw is better than pss9
Old 04-29-2009, 10:26 AM

I've driven on both (along with Robi spec, BC, ect ect)-def try and head to an Auto X or road and track meet with similar vehicles and gain the confidence of drivers to (1) ride with them when they drive-and (2) if you are lucky-try and drive the car too-
experiance is priceless-Bilstein makes decent stuff no doubt-but if you're going to spend $ (big money at that in some cases)-try and look over the weekend warrior stuff and get a long term set up. My $0.10
Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 PM

05 C55 & 06 C230 SS
I've driven on both (along with Robi spec, BC, ect ect)-def try and head to an Auto X or road and track meet with similar vehicles and gain the confidence of drivers to (1) ride with them when they drive-and (2) if you are lucky-try and drive the car too-
experiance is priceless-Bilstein makes decent stuff no doubt-but if you're going to spend $ (big money at that in some cases)-try and look over the weekend warrior stuff and get a long term set up. My $0.10

i dont get wat u mean by weekend warrior stuff is ...just tell me which one in ur opinion is better for the track billstien or kw
Old 04-30-2009, 02:21 PM

its not that simple-if you are a junk driver, get the bilstiens-they're cheaper and you wont notice they are there-if you plan and needing/wanting different set ups becuase you will be at several diff tracks-KW offers a more complete adj package (as well as a little better wear on the componants themselves)-weekend warrior is more of the if you track once a month, never break 100mph and brake early/often and are not pushing the car or yourself that hard-save the $-if you're like me-and tracking all over the US, and out pushing the car hard every single weekend you can-you need/want kw's-simply asking which is better is very subjective-have you been tracking cars in the past? if this is your first year at the track-dont spend a penny on the car-see if you like it or not-then learn to drive it stock, and have someone teach you what you would need to do to the car to help your driving style-believe me-my set up wont work for you, and yours wouldnt work for anyone else (sure, you and i could swap cars and drive, but it wouldnt be as fast as we could go)-
Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Hey djoa and rockjock, Is there anything ajustable in the stock system that can be done to help eliminate the quick wear of the outer corner of the tires? I'd hate to granny drive this car to balance the wear on the tires, but this crap is expensive, especially since the rest of the tire is usually around 40-50% remaining. Is my only option KMAC? BTW im lowered on Renntech springs and on 19" wheels.
Sorry jayton41 for jacking your thread!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Suspension

Originally Posted by calimax
Hey djoa and rockjock, Is there anything ajustable in the stock system that can be done to help eliminate the quick wear of the outer corner of the tires? I'd hate to granny drive this car to balance the wear on the tires, but this crap is expensive, especially since the rest of the tire is usually around 40-50% remaining. Is my only option KMAC? BTW im lowered on Renntech springs and on 19" wheels.
Sorry jayton41 for jacking your thread!
Increasing the Neg camber helps with the poor tire wear on the C32/55. The stock set up can get to about -0.7 deg on the camber at the limit of the adjustment. You might be able to get more with crash bolts? and definately can get more with the various adjustable systems. So far, I have adjusted my front camber to -0.7 deg using the stock adjustment and found this to improve both feel and wear. On the track it is OK but still exhibits slight understeer on the slower, or off camber corners. It is a OK street setup but sub optimum for track and not even close for Auto-x. With auto-x the tires never have time to get hot, the course is often dirty and slick, and you almost always need more neg camber to get her to stick. My C32 is not my auto-x cars so for me, that don't matter, but, I still would have liked to got to 1.0 or 1.3 deg if I could have.

The Bridgestone Re050-PP's also helped a ton. The Pirellis stuck just as good but the amount of flexion in the carcass of the Pzeros was enough to unbalance and upset the car. The B-stones feel far more stable when transitioning from left to right and back or over bumps. The Pirellis would oscillate after a hard steering input making the entire car feel less planted. I don't sell tires and could care less about Bridgestone but that was the best handling mod that I have made to date. Sadly they are costly $$ and wear out, lol.

Irish
Old 05-04-2009, 11:15 AM

+1 on the RE0's-but I avoid the Pole's (either 50 or 70's are good) (I'm going to those when the crap Pirelli's wear out this summer ) and with a facotry camber bolt (I learned this at a tech event here in MN 2 weeks ago) there is a camber bolt (that is the adj method on MBZ) that can get you to -1.2 in the front-hope that helps!
Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
+1 on the RE0's-but I avoid the Pole's (either 50 or 70's are good) (I'm going to those when the crap Pirelli's wear out this summer ) and with a facotry camber bolt (I learned this at a tech event here in MN 2 weeks ago) there is a camber bolt (that is the adj method on MBZ) that can get you to -1.2 in the front-hope that helps!
ooohhh, I wanna find out more about this bolt! Im going to try out the Bridgestone RE760 on all 4's they look promising. I've had RE's Pzero rosso and I think the Bstone was a little soft, but gripped very well, I liked the Pzero Rosso for its stiff feel and the sidewall looks much better than the Bstone.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Its a camber bolt that goes in the rear of the lower front control arm-hard to miss-I dont have any part #'s tho-sorry!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 PM

C32 AMG
Possible?

Is it possible to approach S2000 kind of go-kart feel with aftermarket suspension for the C32? I used to have the S2k and kind of miss that feeling... Do I need to invest in PSS9? What kind of anti-roll bar setup would be needed?
Old 06-22-2009, 04:16 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

The bolts only give .3. I run -1.75 f/r same as clk63bs, works well.