Autocrossed the C55 Kleemann today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Easy big guy, easy:

First of all, my 91 stang HAD 500 RWHP, and the TA was close behind it. Heck even that lonely little Zepher had 400. YES these cars would/could shred the tires as you put it.

The key is to A: Have R tires, or B: Wait till the car is balanced. These are the ONLY two ways that you can use all of that power. And YES I would/could push my pedal to the floor and put down that much power.

I didn't follow your cars ratings, as it really doesn't matter for an autocross with all of the classes. It takes about 3-4 autocross before you get the hang of it. What I was trying to convey was that fensis does NOT win in High HP rear wheel drive cars like these. Vette's are a different story being 50/50 WB.

If you car is that much beast, then it CERTAINLY needs some suspension work to cope with all of that power, aka being able to actually use it.

Look I am not busting stones here, just pointing out some tips/facts about autocrossing. I have seen MANY High HP cars work, and MANY fail. My points/tips were just what I have seen work BEST. Sorry to get your blood boiling, as that was not my intention.

Good luck and see yeah
Not really thinking your bustin my ***** here I value all advice and opionions. Like to see peoples perspective and suggestions.

I have had a handful of cars out there on the autocross course also, actually its my 10th year out there. I have ran everything from a 1998 Trans Am WS6, 2000 Mazda Millenia S (heavy pig), 2002 Porshe 911 non-turbo, 1982 Formula Ford (that i still own), 2006 Infiniti FX35 (yes, and i have video), 2007 Infiniti G35x (yes, i have a funny video), 2007 Mustang GT, aftermarket supercharged, cams, headers, exhaust (422rwhp), suspension and brakes, 2002 C32 AMG (asp pulley, renntech ecu), 2004 E46 M3 SMG, 2003 Mustang Cobra SVT Kenny Bell (502RWHP, 496RWTQ) and finally the 2005 C55k S7

All different in handling and power. The Cobra was the most handful and the formula ford obviously was the fastest around autox; the C55k has the power to makeup time on the short straights, brakes to slow down in before and the suspension / sways to handle most of the turns without filling to much like a heavy pig. I would rate it like a stock E45 M3 in handling, with a bit more power on reserve.

The tire pressure I ran was 42 all the way around; at winged warrior i ran 40 up front and 30 in rear... the car felt wobbly coming out of turns, so i brought temps back up.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM

2019 E63s AMG
here is an in car video from that event (not mine) ; but gives you a perspective of what the track looked like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zQwRIHJT7Q
Old 05-12-2009, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by alumar
Not really thinking your bustin my ***** here I value all advice and opionions. Like to see peoples perspective and suggestions.

I have had a handful of cars out there on the autocross course also, actually its my 10th year out there. I have ran everything from a 1998 Trans Am WS6, 2000 Mazda Millenia S (heavy pig), 2002 Porshe 911 non-turbo, 1982 Formula Ford (that i still own), 2006 Infiniti FX35 (yes, and i have video), 2007 Infiniti G35x (yes, i have a funny video), 2007 Mustang GT, aftermarket supercharged, cams, headers, exhaust (422rwhp), suspension and brakes, 2002 C32 AMG (asp pulley, renntech ecu), 2004 E46 M3 SMG, 2003 Mustang Cobra SVT Kenny Bell (502RWHP, 496RWTQ) and finally the 2005 C55k S7

All different in handling and power. The Cobra was the most handful and the formula ford obviously was the fastest around autox; the C55k has the power to makeup time on the short straights, brakes to slow down in before and the suspension / sways to handle most of the turns without filling to much like a heavy pig. I would rate it like a stock E45 M3 in handling, with a bit more power on reserve.

The tire pressure I ran was 42 all the way around; at winged warrior i ran 40 up front and 30 in rear... the car felt wobbly coming out of turns, so i brought temps back up.

Hey alumar:

Thanks for the heads up, and the good info. Glad to see you had fun, and did well my friend. It is also good to see you knew about staggered air pressures
I am inpressed that you would rate the handling in the E45 class. As typically the M's crush MB's in handling, mainly do to a 50/50 WB. I had an E46 and a 2001 M roadster with the E46 engine for a VERY short time, hated the day to day LACK of torque driving around town rowing through that buttery soft gearbox. Oh wait, that's why I went to AMG.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and sorry for Hijacking your thread about car facts

See yeah
Old 05-12-2009, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by spr
Get better tires. PS2's are junk and not worth the money. Try the re11r's yokos or Z stars or go full R coumpound. These cars just can't get enough tire under them unfortunately even in NA form. At least you have an LSD!
+1, I hate my PS IIs and opted per my discussion with MrAMg to go with the Bridgestone Pole Positions which really hang in there. I have not regretted them a bit. I still use the PS IIs for the drags BUT they spin too much there as well.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM

2019 E63s AMG
I have been pretty impressed with the Pilot Sport PS2 on drag strip for street tires, pulling a 1.9xx isnt to shabby. That being said, the next set of street tires i buy for it will be different. Looking at the Toyo's

Here is the drag run @ winged warrior using those pilot ps2's ...

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-18424.html

Last edited by alumar; 05-12-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:48 PM

2019 E63s AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey alumar:

Thanks for the heads up, and the good info. Glad to see you had fun, and did well my friend. It is also good to see you knew about staggered air pressures
I am inpressed that you would rate the handling in the E45 class. As typically the M's crush MB's in handling, mainly do to a 50/50 WB. I had an E46 and a 2001 M roadster with the E46 engine for a VERY short time, hated the day to day LACK of torque driving around town rowing through that buttery soft gearbox. Oh wait, that's why I went to AMG.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and sorry for Hijacking your thread about car facts

See yeah
oh no doubt on a stock C55 ... not in same class as the E46 on handling. It does take switching to H&R sways, full suspension change and proper track brakes to get the car to plant and position around some of the turns. Obviously the 'feel' is different than the E46 (i felt more through the wheel), but the recipocating result from the adjusted C55 vs stock is a large difference.

the car doesnt roll much and does turn in when I ask it to, well for the most part
Old 05-12-2009, 04:50 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All are correct save that the tire pressure and shocks changes are swapped. Reference real published authority not some online "shop how-to" when you're attempting to compel analysis or argument. I'm done wasting my time; pathetic.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001: Supercharged E55 AMG
Alumar >> Love your videos! You are a true enthusiast and your C55 is definitely my favorite C55 of them all Looks really bad ***

What tire pressure are you running on the strip on your Pilot Sport 2?

Highest trap speed?

// Mag