Fading Display MFD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Fading Display MFD?

"Wingless" had posted a while back on the C-class forum about the problem with the multifunction display fading in and out on the W203. He said something about a zebra stripe needing to be cleaned. I sent him a PM asking for more info. Here was his response:

"A zebra stripe pad is a box-shaped rubber block. It has alternating insulating and conductive segments. Those are on a fine pitch.

The zebra stripe is compressed between the circuit board pads and the LCD pads. Those have a coarse pitch.

The result is the zebra stripe creates multiple electrical connections between the LCD and the PCB.

The problem is crud and oxidation. Those screw-up the connections.

The solution is to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Both the LCD and PCB are rectangular panels, with the zebra stripe compressed between.

Good luck."

Thought this might be helpful for those of us DIYers who are out of warranty and who have the "fading MFD" curse (especially when hot).

Thanks for the info, Wingless.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Vomit
"Wingless" had posted a while back on the C-class forum about the problem with the multifunction display fading in and out on the W203. He said something about a zebra stripe needing to be cleaned. I sent him a PM asking for more info. Here was his response:

"A zebra stripe pad is a box-shaped rubber block. It has alternating insulating and conductive segments. Those are on a fine pitch.

The zebra stripe is compressed between the circuit board pads and the LCD pads. Those have a coarse pitch.

The result is the zebra stripe creates multiple electrical connections between the LCD and the PCB.

The problem is crud and oxidation. Those screw-up the connections.

The solution is to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Both the LCD and PCB are rectangular panels, with the zebra stripe compressed between.

Good luck."

Thought this might be helpful for those of us DIYers who are out of warranty and who have the "fading MFD" curse (especially when hot).

Thanks for the info, Wingless.
Hmmm... interesting, although a bit over my head. If you're feeling up to it, a DIY on this (with pics) would be very useful to the forum, I'm sure.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Class Action

And then there's this too:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/299250-w203-multi-function-display-fading-class-action-suit.html
Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
I know that they fade when the car sits in the sun for awhile, then come back when the car cools down. Probably heat = increased resistance etc.

But mine never becomes illegible. Do you guys get to that point?
Old 05-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 768 Likes on 747 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
i should have mine fixed under warranty b4 it expires...