C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Power seat modules -- help me get to the truth.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Power seat modules -- help me get to the truth.

After a few feeble efforts to replace my "bad" passenger power seat module (works fine, but creates a drain on the battery), I decided to get a quote from an independent shop. Here's what I got back from them:

1. They can source a "reman" unit for $250.

2. They recommend replacing BOTH driver and passenger because replacing one may affect the other.

3. They need to do it at the shop because the units need to be PROGRAMMED to the car in order to work.

4. They quote 4 hours of labor of the installs and programming. I've done an install, and if you're half-competent, it's 1/2 hour -- maybe 1 hour for two.

So, they quote like $1,000 for the job. Not a chance I'm going that way. I've had no success using "salvage" units; and new units go for $400. But I'll pay $400 if I can just plug it in and go. Does it really need to be programmed to the car???
Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i never heard of programming the unit to work?

thats crazy.

search for the W211 seat modules, those are the replacement units for the W203.

Probably can find in a salvage yard.

I have been holding off fixing my seats.. due to cost.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
After a few feeble efforts to replace my "bad" passenger power seat module (works fine, but creates a drain on the battery), I decided to get a quote from an independent shop. Here's what I got back from them:

1. They can source a "reman" unit for $250.

2. They recommend replacing BOTH driver and passenger because replacing one may affect the other.

3. They need to do it at the shop because the units need to be PROGRAMMED to the car in order to work.

4. They quote 4 hours of labor of the installs and programming. I've done an install, and if you're half-competent, it's 1/2 hour -- maybe 1 hour for two.

So, they quote like $1,000 for the job. Not a chance I'm going that way. I've had no success using "salvage" units; and new units go for $400. But I'll pay $400 if I can just plug it in and go. Does it really need to be programmed to the car???
When my 2nd seat control module went bad, I just did Temjinx2's cheap fix. Works perfectly and saved a ton of $$$.

I highly recommend it. Even if you don't think you can do it, any shop can do it for maybe $50?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/262131-temjinx2s-20-seat-control-battery-drain-fix.html#post3068555

Thanks again Temjinx2!!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA
I pulled two fuses from drivers side fuse box for the drivers and passenger seat modules. Its a quick way to stop the drain until you do the relay fix. You just wont be able to move your seats.