Test drove a C55 last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by blacksage
So I test drove both...C32 seems faster but I liked the C55 exhaust note and interior. Here are my choices and I dont really care either way

Black C32 68k $18.3k no navi
Silver C55 87k $17k with navi

I am actually leaning towards the C55 cause of the navi, interior, reliability and exhaust note. Since this will be a weekend car the mileage will become normal eventually.
fyi......nav sucks if that is what is making your decision on the car......please dont base it on nav
Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by jturkel
fyi......[B]nav sucks if that is what is making your decision on the car......please dont base it on nav
[/B

] +1 Better off with a Magellan or Garmin (USB Updateable) and a good one can be had for about $200 or less. The Command is awful and the update discs are expensive and not all that good.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 C55
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
So whats it going to be????
After carefule consideration...I got the C32

Hours ago actually. I want to thank everyone for their help. I was hesitant especially after driving a few C55, but this thing hauls ***. I wonder if it is stock...I will miss the V8 exhaust note though, but that is my only complaint. I am already on here looking for parts.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS430

Hours ago actually. I want to thank everyone for their help. I was hesitant especially after driving a few C55, but this thing hauls ***. I wonder if it is stock...I will miss the V8 exhaust note though, but that is my only complaint. I am already on here looking for parts.

Congrats bro! Even more nasty instant torque. Look into a Pulley and tune for packing some extra thrust. Eurocharged.com/LETMotorsports.com is the place to go for C32 tuning. Whats great about the C32 is you can debadge out the AMG badge or all badges and look like a regular C-Class until people hear that loud Cobra sounding SC whine (once you have intake you'll get that sound) and go WTF is that, that's a Merc?

One thing you must know is that some Mags had the C32 running quicker than C55. That SC is nasty. Some mods and you'll easily be in the 12s with some drag radials. Intake, Pulley, Tune, and I believe Eurocharged got some new long tube headers out for the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkJkohqkOo8

I also found a parts site that prices cheaper than OEM MSRP, www.genuinemercedesparts.com, I did a quick spec of C32 brake parts (Rotors and Pads front and back) and it came up to $435.20, they charge $8.99 for shipping which is a great deal. There is also parts.com which had the pricing cheaper but I've read in another thread their shipping charge is much higher vs. genuinemercedesparts.com The MSRP retail for the Rotors and Pads front and back is $544. It looks like other members used genuinemercedesparts.com and had no issues.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' BMW M3

Congrats on the C32...what year is it?...also I'd be very curious to know how you would compare the C32 to the e46 M3,so let us know what you think after driving the C32 a few days/weeks...

..on a side note...I realize you got rid of your ///M,but did you ever consider installing 4.10 gears in it?....this would improve the low end "pulling" power without messing with the engine...
Old 09-06-2009, 01:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
Wow, i was just reading this post a few hours ago then you walked away and came back with a C32 ///AMG
Congrats to you.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Nice pickup. Pix now please.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
[QUOTE=blacksage;3702480]After carefule consideration...I got the C32

Hours ago actually. I want to thank everyone for their help. I was hesitant especially after driving a few C55, but this thing hauls ***. I wonder if it is stock...I will miss the V8 exhaust note though, but that is my only complaint. I am already on here looking for parts.[/QUOpulley withTE]

I had the same dilemma almost two years ago when I picked up the C32. The reason I went with the 32 was the easy mods it takes. The C55 is probably a "nicer" car all around, BUT the 5.4 engine is a real PITA to mod and expensive too, just ask Hooley. I was the first to install and report on the Code III pulley. Without a LET Tune, its not that much different from stock and I believe (and Jerry did too!!) that my car was running lean with the pulley and no tune. All I run is the Code III pulley, the Code III intake and a LET tune and I am at a 12.7 qtr mile at almost 110 MPH (and this was with a great reaction time and bad 60 foot because my car was spinnin on the stock Michelin Pilot II street tires. Do the same mods and your almost certain to be in the 12s. Other than those mods, my car is totally stock down to the spark plugs etc etc. Thus, those mods gave me about a 3/4 sec drop in qtr mile times from stock.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 PM

C55 AMG
Congratulations on the new purchase.

I just picked up a 2005 C55 for $26,400 with under 12,000 miles--fully loaded. I picked it up in Spokane, WA and then drove it back home to Sacramento. I just did an "A" service for $130. I do work for Mercedes and the guys at the dealer couldn't believe how "clean" and "unbroken" in it truly was. I do believe I got a once in a lifetime deal...it was parked from fall to spring in Montana and the guy never drove it because of all his other toys. It has the extended warranty 'til 2012.

Here was the listing: http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vd...e&rdpage=thumb

I'm used to BMW's (like many of you) and the Mercedes just feels more luxurious and quicker all around. It also also a more "luxurious/sport" look in the interior than my E46 had just a more sport feel. I also do fully agree with how more mature the Mercedes crowd is compared to the BMW community. I was a member of E46Fantaics and it's full of kids these days. You are constantly reminded how my AMG cars you see verses M cars and you quickly remember why...their resale values and production numbers.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 C55
How does the C32 compare to the M3? Well it is definitely not as raw as the M3, but the acceleration is insane. I honestly do not think it is stock! There is no way this car has 350HP! It pulls like a freight train. I am extremely happy with the straight line performance. On the way home from the dealership I took a couple of turns in the C32 I used to take in the M3 without any hesitation...not good, but it was expected. I love the cd change and the stock systems BLOWS away the HK package even with my upgraded speakers.

Mod list as follows.

I will start with the intake, pulley, and a tune.
LED tails
Pioneer avic unit and other related accessories
front spoiler
shift knob (mine is starting to show wear)
new visor (more wear again)

I posted some pics for you guys, better ones tomorrow.

What the hell is this phone thing and how do I get rid of it

Did these cars come with clear headlamps?

Is this trim stock or aftermarket?

I am scared to buy engine mods cause I dont think this car is stock! I dont want to show up at the shop with a bucket full of parts!

Old 09-07-2009, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
congrats on the new ride.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:57 AM

LS430
How does the C32 compare to the M3? Well it is definitely not as raw as the M3, but the acceleration is insane. I honestly do not think it is stock! There is no way this car has 350HP! It pulls like a freight train. I am extremely happy with the straight line performance. On the way home from the dealership I took a couple of turns in the C32 I used to take in the M3 without any hesitation...not good, but it was expected. I love the cd change and the stock systems BLOWS away the HK package even with my upgraded speakers.

Mod list as follows.

LED tails
front spoiler

I am scared to buy engine mods cause I dont think this car is stock! I dont want to show up at the shop with a bucket full of parts!

Wow! Great condition IMHO. The clear headlamps are due to having the Bi-Xenon option on the car. Either that or the previous owner bought bi-xenon headlights and changed out the halogen frosties. I wonder if your car is stock, if it is, you're in for a great experience if you think it's current performance is great. Perhaps it's the the helping of a ton of torque that starts quite early in the powerband that makes you feel like this. Only way to know is the dyno and of course the strip.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
like the acceleration huh? maybe its the massive torque difference you're feeling between the M3 and the C32....the C32 has quite a bit of torque available down. and yah, cd changer and sound system is decent i think....have you found the tape deck yet?

Mod list as follows.

LED tails
front spoiler

nice list. know which intake and pulley you're planning on?

front CF spoiler? thinking about maybe a trunk lip too?

important mod to add to your list: resonator delete......you will not regret it. it is by far the most common mod for the c32. i think everyone has done it that has come to this forum. no gains in power (unless you do headers down the road), but slight weight reduction and the exhaust sound the car should have come with from the factory. as a side note, for me, it has always taken a day or two for the muffler to rebreak in after mods and for the sound to adjust. but trust me, you'll love it! and its cheap. 100 max (i paid 80 for parts and labor)

i'd dyno first before your mod though to....
1) get a baseline number
2) see if you're already modded
2a) you can check out your A/Fs and power numbers to see what you're putting down.....and from there you/we can help you determine whats done to it if something is done

lol. i dont know anyone who has the phone thing. unplug it?

if its an 04, then it was an option then i believe. if its an 02 or 03, bixenons were swapped in the by the previous owner. lucky you got 'em. they look much better than the frosties and are quite expensive too
stock trim. mine's the exact same. what color are the inserts on your seats?
again, dyno your car to see what kind of power you make and what your A/Fs look like. i can tell from your pictures that you have the stock C32 air intake.

if you take off engine cover and take pics for us to analyze your pulleys, we can see if it has aftermarket pulley(s) on it (pulleys that could be changed are water pump, idler, supercharger, and crank).....or you could measure the diameter of the crank pulley and supercharger pulley and verify it yourself.

Last edited by jturkel; 09-07-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
if you take off engine cover and take pics for us to analyze your pulleys, we can see if it has aftermarket pulley(s) on it (pulleys that could be changed are water pump, idler, supercharger, and crank).....or you could measure the diameter of the crank pulley and supercharger pulley and verify it yourself.[/QUOTE]

Engine bay looks stock to me?? Under the cowl, there could be a pulley, but unless the previous guy was a "modder" I doubt it. There would be either a crank pulley at bottom of engine or a Code III pulley (at top where supercharger rests).
Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 AM

LS430
He's quite lucky to have Bi-Xenons on the car, really gives it an updated look. The C32 can pass as a usual C230 or C320 especially if you debage it. Talk about a sick sleeper.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by E55AMGFan
He's quite lucky to have Bi-Xenons on the car, really gives it an updated look. The C32 can pass as a usual C230 or C320 especially if you debage it. Talk about a sick sleeper.

+1., reverse badge it and just throw some C230 badges on there and that'll really throw em off; do a reverse of what I see in Chicago all the time, AMG this and AMG that. I saw a ML 350 with badges that said ML 600 AMG on it.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 PM

LS430
It is a great idea IMHO, only thing that will give you away is the SC whine if you have an intake and the exhaust note if you take out the resonators. I would do what you said or just pull off all the badges and leave the MB Star on the trunk.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
I test drove the e46 m3 smg before the clk55. It was night and day trq wise. The e46 m3 didnt have much at low rpms until you go past 5k rpms. The Clk55 from idle its just explosive.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:41 PM

C55 AMG
BMW's traditionally have high-end torque, hence why you noticed the big difference.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:14 AM

C32
mannn, i am reading this post at 2 in the morning!

im sitting here reading every post start to finish, thinking this guys gettin the C55. OUT OF NOWHERE you get a C32....

obviously i have a c32, and i am about to post it for sale... but I just can't get over how much i LOVE this car...and don't want to let it go. You cannot appreciate it until you DRIVE it for a while. The temptation to stomp the gas is always there, but I never get over how safe this car is. There was this one time i moronically gassed it left from a stop sign and somewhere at the end of the turn was a bump... and as I skid towards that curb while my esp was off, the car just brought itself back.... it is ALIVE!

A 325i definitely "feels" the road (as all bmw's, no doubt), but the C32 is all around

C55 is still officially the beast, but the C32, I don't know what it is, maybe its because 32 is a lucky number, but this car is FULL of surprises. Look inside your rear passenger speaker -- first aid kit. The stereo is kick ***. The oil level sensor SUCKS, but you learn to understand it.

Congrats

Here is an old school commercial, just for ****s and giggles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rv2-...eature=related

Last edited by C32_Underdog; 09-13-2009 at 05:23 AM.