C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Vinyl Wrap Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2009 | 12:30 PM

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
Vinyl Wrap Question

So, I've been toying with the idea for a while of making my ride a little more unique, and I think I've come up with a nice idea.

Instead of doing the normal blacking out of the chrome on my car, I'm thinking about going with a gunmetal color for the grill, chrome and wheels. The grill and chrome I would vinyl wrap and the wheels I would probably paint myself, unless I can find a very trustworthy powder coating place.

So to execute this plan I have a couple questions. First of all, where can I get the vinyl wrap, specifically in a gunmetal color. The closest I can find is this in steel gray:

http://www.rvinyl.com/wrapkits/vinyl/solidcolors.htm

Secondly, how much wrap do you think I will need?

Third, to wrap the chrome on my car do I need to remove the pieces, wrap them and put them back, or can I just apply the wrap directly onto the car? The grill I'll remove and wrap.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2009 | 01:40 PM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
def pull as many pieces as you can when wrapping-(1) its hella easier (2) looks much better. 3M sells all sorts of good wrap (ie lasts about 2 years outdoors)-measure the sq ft of your car and order up!
Old 07-24-2009 | 04:44 PM

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
So I just walked around the car, and honestly, I don't know if its worth wrapping the chrome strip around the sides of the car. It doesn't "pop" out as much as it does on a silver car and since there is no chrome around the windows or anywhere else on the car, it might look a little silly just having a dark strip around the car.

My new plan is to paint the wheels with Duplicolor HWP102 Graphite Wheel Paint, and wrap the grill.
Old 07-24-2009 | 04:55 PM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
if you care-use aircraft stripper to take the factory paint off-clean wheel well (not the wheel-well, clean the wheel ) primer (2 coats doesnt hurt) and apply paint-should last a couple years (buy an extra can for touch ups down the road (mix the 2 when painting for even mismatch (if that makes sense)).
I thought about pulling the chrome too (Mars Red on mine) and didnt see a huge advantage to it-black car-either add more-or go with a blacked out set up-silver, red, white-not a huge diff when changed.
GL on the painting!