C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

'05-'06 C55 AMG or Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG Sold 2010 E550 Coupe totaled '13 SL550 current and loving it!
Originally Posted by Kompressor21
Any specific car color your looking for?
Looking for either Black or white, why are you looking to move your red one?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by griza
These are great responses, thanks! I have all but made up my mind to go for the C55. Is there any quirkes that bother any one? Like when I had my Cayenne Turbo S, it would start in second gear if I didn't shift it down. It would shift into the next higher gear immediately before you got a chance to step on it, like around a slow turn. Stuff like that is what I am looking for, annoying attributes. Weird controls, like someone mentioned the A/C and the harmon kardon stereo....anything else? It will be my daily driver so I would like to know as much about it as possible including the bad. It will be difficult to spend any time around one since they are so few around. Do all '05-'06 C55's have nav? Bluetooth? Auto up windows all around? Why are the headliners gray even in cars that have black interiors?
1) Comfort mode starts in second. I personally hate it because you need to really push the pedal to get the car to move. It moves just fine, but at that point I'd rather be snapping some necks.. Sport starts in first (I leave it here) and Manual does too.

2) For the most part, the transmission does a good job. Not always 100% perfect, but with so much power it'll erase it's mistake. In sport, it'll also hold the gear for a few seconds if you floor it and let off really quick (in case you're gonna get back on it).

3) The a/c controls are fine. There's an auto function (which I don't use), and the analog knobs work perfectly. I personally find I can move and set them quicker than having to push push push push push push a button to increase temp.

4) The HK stereo is good, but not fantastic. If you're an audiophile and heard/had good systems, you'll definitely learn where they put the curves at certain volumes and frequencies. I hated it at first but now I'm used to it I guess. It's too much work to get it to sound better (with aftermarket, and I'm no stranger to lots of work).

5) Yes they do come without nav. Even without nav, I think the stereo fits the center console very nicely. I know because I have one. I also have the rare dark maple wood instead of the aluminum...which I absolutely love. It really really sold me.

6) Auto up and down for all windows and sunroof. You can also raise/lower the windows by holding the lock/unlock key near/pointing at the driver side door handle.

7) All manufacturers use tan/beige headliners regardless of interior color. This is because it makes the interior appear bigger, makes it seem more luminous, and less of a sense of claustrophobia.

8) Audi interiors/seats - Like I said, my brother owns a '06 S4, and I don't feel like his interior is better than mine. I'd say they're on par. And yes he's got Recaro's, but I don't think they're better than mine. The AMG seats are nothing to scoff at - I think they're pretty awesome. I don't know why people think the word Recaro is so incredible. It's a nice seat, but it's not world ending.

I've made my C55 my daily driver and I absolutely love driving it. Highway, wind, rain, etc, it goes through it all with no problem (except hail, none of that). The car is fun to drive and excellent in all areas of performance. The suspension feels solid and stiff, but not back breaking stiff. I've owned stiff suspensions before, and find that this one is tuned very well. The car itself also has the AMG "baller" status (lol) and gets people's attention. I also like to brag that I own 1 of 1750 total US C55 AMG models ever produced between the years of '05 and '06. Audi's S4 really doesn't really "command" that anymore. The RS4 and S8 do.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG Sold 2010 E550 Coupe totaled '13 SL550 current and loving it!
Viper tremendous post Thanks!! Is there any difference bewtween '05 and '06? Did the '06 come with any more options that would be worth choosing between the two years? When you guys talk about changing the rear brakes to slk brakes, are you refering to the rotors, the calipers or both? What are door pins? I have seen talk about brabus door pins. Sorry for so many possibly dumb questions. I did search for some of the info, I am just getting anxious. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2009, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by griza
Viper tremendous post Thanks!! Is there any difference bewtween '05 and '06? Did the '06 come with any more options that would be worth choosing between the two years? When you guys talk about changing the rear brakes to slk brakes, are you refering to the rotors, the calipers or both? What are door pins? I have seen talk about brabus door pins. Sorry for so many possibly dumb questions. I did search for some of the info, I am just getting anxious. Thanks!
i cant answer the rest of your questions, but the door pins are the pins (little cylinderical plastic or metal pieces) that move up and down when you lock and unlock the door. i guess brabus makes different looking pins (and some other companies make similar styles or knockoffs).