C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Got the iPhone/iPod app "Rev" with PLX OBDII/WLAN

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 '02
Got the iPhone/iPod app "Rev" with PLX OBDII/WLAN

For those of you who own an iPhone or iPod Touch you may probably already heard of this product which came out last year. I'm eagerly in the process of getting a LET/Eurocharged 185mm pulley & tune and wanted to have some "baseline info" of how my car is running. Without going WOT, the max boost pressure I got was 13PSI. Average IATs were around 112 degrees, i guess not too bad considering the ambient temperature was 90+ degrees. I choose this route cause it was the cheapest way to go, i already owned an first gen iphone, i just needed to get the software and the OBDII/WLAN adpater. Trust me, if I had more spare cash laying around and not saving for the 185, I would of just bought DashDaq. Total cost was 150 for the adpater, 39 for the software and 40 for shipping! I must say that a dedicated datalogger such as the dashdaq or dashdyno is definitely worth the extra price IMO. If i didn't have an iphone/iPod Touch to begin with I would have probably gotten dashdaq or similar dataloggers. Now that's enough ranting about what if and want not...Overall the application I felt was quite solid, the version I have now is 1.7 and it doesn't support multiple displays, thankfully the developers said it will support multiple displays in the coming new version. I constantly had to change views cause I could only show one parameter at a time, which was quite tedious. I ended up using the data logging feature which only allowed 3 parameters to be logged. I just now need to find a way to secure the iPhone and have a power source to it. The WLAN connection eats up the batteries pretty fast. I estimate it can last less than two hours from full charge. One thing I liked about this setup is that the iPhone has a nice colorful screen and can support touch input/gestures. A newer version of the OBDII/WLAN adpater supports iMFD which you can add more devices; such as EGT, AF and/or other sensors/devices. There you have it, this thing works on my C32 and would recommend it especially when the software 2.0 is coming out.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails Got the iPhone/iPod app "Rev" with PLX OBDII/WLAN-save1.jpg   Got the iPhone/iPod app "Rev" with PLX OBDII/WLAN-save2.jpg   Got the iPhone/iPod app "Rev" with PLX OBDII/WLAN-save3.jpg  

Last edited by ML500K; 08-11-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Thanks for the review! I am thinking of getting one of these too, but wasn't positive if the regular setup still would give us IAT's and boost pressure without having to get the IMFD version and multiple monitors.

Can you tell me exactly what you don't get that you think would be necessary?

TIA!!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo
Ya i talked about this like acouple months back, and even before a C55 tired it on his w203, Works well, Heres my Vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91aPZiBNzf4
Old 08-11-2009, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by OverDrive
Ya i talked about this like acouple months back, and even before a C55 tired it on his w203, Works well, Heres my Vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91aPZiBNzf4
Great video Dan, thanks much!
Think I am gonna pick one of these up.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM

C32 '02
I got this setup for the purpose getting an idea of what my car was doing. I don't think its a replacement for dyno-tuning. The good thing is that PLX can do an upgrade(just send in the old version) to the iMFD version (add 100 dollars ) But so far right now, I think the regular model serves my needs. Probably the only reason anyone would want to get the iMFD version is to hookup a wide band A/F sensor, Tap an Oil pressure and EGT, (i'm sure there are probably more reasons )

However kinda , having these extra sensors might shed light on the 185mm on WOT, which was the reason why I wanted to get a datalogger in the first place to compare before and after on Boost & IAT's.

So the "regular" version does give me Boost, IAT's, throttle position, engine load, MAF, Timing Advance, Vehicle speed. However Fuel related info such as fuel pressure wasn't available. I can also check and clear engine codes. From the website of "REV", they said version 2.0 can also calculate wheel HP...wonder how that works
http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

cheers~
Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 PM

C32 '02
Great Video OD! If I did hear you correctly, you have the 185 installed? And does your OBDII/WLAN adapter provide you with Air/Fuel ratio info?

thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
Originally Posted by ML500K
I got this setup for the purpose getting an idea of what my car was doing. I don't think its a replacement for dyno-tuning. The good thing is that PLX can do an upgrade(just send in the old version) to the iMFD version (add 100 dollars ) But so far right now, I think the regular model serves my needs. Probably the only reason anyone would want to get the iMFD version is to hookup a wide band A/F sensor, Tap an Oil pressure and EGT, (i'm sure there are probably more reasons )

However kinda , having these extra sensors might shed light on the 185mm on WOT, which was the reason why I wanted to get a datalogger in the first place to compare before and after on Boost & IAT's.

So the "regular" version does give me Boost, IAT's, throttle position, engine load, MAF, Timing Advance, Vehicle speed. However Fuel related info such as fuel pressure wasn't available. I can also check and clear engine codes. From the website of "REV", they said version 2.0 can also calculate wheel HP...wonder how that works
http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

cheers~
it calculates that based on calibrating the iphone with the REV product for your dash orientation using the built in G meter functions within rev. Essentially you put in your car weight "including you" and it will calculate it based on your G meter (forward acceleration, matched with speed its reading from ODBII, by the hundredth of a second)
Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
If you don't mind me asking - where'd you get the WLAN/OBD2 adapter that cheap?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by evilsaint
If you don't mind me asking - where'd you get the WLAN/OBD2 adapter that cheap?
You can get it direct from PLX:

http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/buynow.html
Old 08-13-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz

Thank you kindly =)
Old 08-14-2009, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Any recommendations for what iphone cradle works best to hold the iPhone?

I think I like the suction cup one that mounts on the windshield, as it will be higher up and easier to see while glancing away from the road.

But then again, I like the simplicity of the ones that snake up from the cigarette lighter and have a power cable built in.

TIA!

Some examples:

http://www.macmall.com/ttsvr/p/PcUSA-Cellular-Telephony/product~dpno~7530587~pdp.ejbijee

http://www.macmall.com/ttsvr/p/Kensington-MP3-Players-&-Accessories/product~dpno~7210110~pdp.eahfhfb
Old 08-17-2009, 04:12 AM

C32 '02
i got one of these http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auct...u=carpdaholder
cause i thought it would be safer to view at when driving, I'll post a pic when i have a chance. The only thing is that you have to run a separate power cable.

cheers~
Attached Thumbnails Got the iPhone/iPod app "Rev" with PLX OBDII/WLAN-photo.jpg   Got the iPhone/iPod app "Rev" with PLX OBDII/WLAN-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by ML500K; 08-17-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz

what's the difference between the two types of connector they sell?

the itouch has wifi too right?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:11 AM

C32 '02
One has iMFD support and the other doesn't. iMFD can support additional gauges such as oil pressure etc...( but you'll have to tap it somewhere )

Yep, you can also use the iPod Touch for this app.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
One has iMFD support and the other doesn't. iMFD can support additional gauges such as oil pressure etc...( but you'll have to tap it somewhere )

Yep, you can also use the iPod Touch for this app.
I see. thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 04:17 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
just ordered PLX. got an itouch to use for now.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:35 AM

C32 '02
nice, I hope devtoaster releases 2.0 soon. can't wait for the multi-gauge display and also each metric u can set ur own Unit type. For example I use celsius for temps, but would rather use psi for boost pressure.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:56 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
nice, I hope devtoaster releases 2.0 soon. can't wait for the multi-gauge display and also each metric u can set ur own Unit type. For example I use celsius for temps, but would rather use psi for boost pressure.
I'm looking at the PLX site they list another software DashCommand for iPhone / iPod Touch that has the multiple gauge feature.

btw, how did you secure the PLX to the under side of the dash? I saw Overdrive's video which he stuff it into the fuse box, but still leaves a wire hanging. wondering if there's a L-shape type connector that we can buy and extend it so the wire can be tape flushed under the dash.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:13 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
hmm...having issue with REV recognition of the information. all gauges shown does not move...wonder if I plug in the plx wrong...

boost gauge stuck at 18psi...IAT reads 33? rpm reads 33? lol.... going to play with it some more.

edit: nvm...my stupid iTouch firmware is only 2.2. I thought I have 2.2.1 already....

Last edited by FrankW; 09-13-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 AM

C32 '02
Right now my set up is the dirty and nasty way, plug right up to OBD2. I'm thinking of doing a two way switch so that i can connect the PLX internally in the steering column and switch over to the external one when I need to connect to a star device. The other benefit is that I can use this as a power switch. But that is probably for another day. DashCommand does support multiple gauges, BUT the gauges are fixed, so its not customizable.

I did have that problem showing everything at 33, but that was because I was using a hack iphone/iPod version of REV at first. But i purchased the real deal and everything is working beautifully.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:37 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Right now my set up is the dirty and nasty way, plug right up to OBD2. I'm thinking of doing a two way switch so that i can connect the PLX internally in the steering column and switch over to the external one when I need to connect to a star device. The other benefit is that I can use this as a power switch. But that is probably for another day. DashCommand does support multiple gauges, BUT the gauges are fixed, so its not customizable.

I did have that problem showing everything at 33, but that was because I was using a hack iphone/iPod version of REV at first. But i purchased the real deal and everything is working beautifully.
ah ha...that is my problem here then. lol

i'll wait till I purchase the 3G then. trying to buy this guy's 3G 8gb locally. wonder if I can buy the software right now for the itouch I'm using from my friend and then transfer the software over to 3G when I get the phone.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-14-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:48 AM

C32 '02
yep, you can get the software first and enjoy it. Make sure u buy the software in itunes with ur account, sync the device. Once you get your 3G iphone, you can do a restore and it will copy everything over to your new phone. fry, I actually have two iphones, first gen and the latest one, both have the same copy of REV.

Last edited by ML500K; 09-14-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
yep, you can get the software first and enjoy it. Make sure u buy the software in itunes with ur account, sync the device. Once you get your 3G iphone, you can do a restore and it will copy everything over to your new phone. fry, I actually have two iphones, first gen and the latest one, both have the same copy of REV.
cool, thanks for the info.

would it matter if i have it jailbreaked? really noob with iphone/touch. previously only used a ipod nano even with that I had trouble uploading video clip. updating my iTune to the newest version right now.

guess I need to setup a account for the apple store?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:58 AM

C32 '02
Its alright to have a Jailbroken phone/Touch. My first gen iPhone was JB, and I was able to copy everything over to my new phone. Its the OS that get jailbroken, but you get to keep all the apps/data you paid for. ( of course the free ones you DLed from iTunes as well )

Yep, you have to set up an account in iTunes.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:53 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Its alright to have a Jailbroken phone/Touch. My first gen iPhone was JB, and I was able to copy everything over to my new phone. Its the OS that get jailbroken, but you get to keep all the apps/data you paid for. ( of course the free ones you DLed from iTunes as well )

Yep, you have to set up an account in iTunes.
thanks for the great infos.

I just got it done. although my stupid *** has no clue on how to keep the cracked application while syncing the REV software over it delete couple of my games that I have progress on, but oh well. I have much more to learn on the iphone/touch world.

it's 3am and I was out on the driveway messing with the REV.

btw, between boost pressure and intake manifold pressure which one actually reads our actual boost pressure?

the "boost pressure" reading from REV at idle is showing -8 psi, but on the throttle it jumps around sporadically the max I saw it indicate is 11psi. on a short run...without going wot to wake the neighbors.

the "intake manifold pressure" however is showing around 5-6 psi on idle and a max of 23 psi when I'm on the throttle. right now outside temp is around 66F.

somehow the IMP feels more like what is our boost pressure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got the iPhone/iPod app "Rev" with PLX OBDII/WLAN