Looking to buy a 2005 c55 amg....need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Capri Blue 2005 c55 AMG
Looking to buy a 2005 c55 amg....need help

Well here goes

Lookign at a 2005 c55 AMG that's that dark blue/black.

The car has 19,800 miles on it. Now reason I'm afraid is it's for sale at a Pontiac dealer, and was bought at the auction. Now the carfax doesn't come back negative, but in 4 years the car doesn't have any maintence history or anything so that's what makes me a little leary about it

Now what should I look for. What should I intend to haggle with them about. Should I purchase their extended warranty too?

Or should I look for a diff car
Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by lookin4ac55
but in 4 years the car doesn't have any maintence history or anything so that's what makes me a little leary about it
Did you contact Mercedes? If it's been serviced at a Mercedes dealer the history can be pulled up.

You may ask if you can have it inspected by a Mercedes shop before you commit. I did this once with a Corvette just to be sure there was nothing wrong.

Now what should I look for. What should I intend to haggle with them about. Should I purchase their extended warranty too?

I bought an '05 C55 (22k miles) last November (in Ohio) and paid around $29K before taxes and the extended warranty. I didn't get Mercedes' pre-owned warranty as the 3rd party warranty was actually cheaper, for a greater period of time, and covered the same things. I had about 8 months left on the factory warranty at the time, which I already had to use due to a leaky valve cover, which is a common issue according to the guys on the forum.

Gook luck with the purchase.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM

Capri Blue 2005 c55 AMG
Thanks for the heads up, I might stop up at a Mercedes dealer tomorrow. Your saying they can pull up a vin number, and see if it was ever maintained anywhere????

Also, I have to see the color in the day light. It's Capri Blue Metallic
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM

06 C55
Carfax isn't the godlike resource they would like you to believe. You should be able to get the MB dealership to tell you what has been done to the car at any MB dealership. Take them the VIN and see what you can find out.

A lot also depends on the options, condition, and price.

Extended warranties, unless they are by the manufacturer, may make you feel better but in my not so humble opinion are rarely worth the money or the paper that they are printed on. Extended warranties are a MAJOR profit item for dealers so they are happy to sell them to you. And they can 'discount' them a lot and are still taking you to the cleaners. Also, you never know if the warranty company will do the right thing on claims. My next door neighbor, among others I know, bought a used M5 and an extended warranty. Transmission failure (from a known weakness in the M5 tranny, i.e. not through abuse) and the warranty company refused to pay until he sued them. Again, my opinion, you're better off saving the money for a rainy day. That way you know that you have it for whatever repair that you need done.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:46 PM

C55 AMG
So there is no record of it in the Mercedes-Benz maintenance history? I'd look up the VIN and take it to the dealer. CarFax isn't all you need and I wouldn't just solely rely on it.

Dealers buy "excellent" cars at auctions all the time. It's a strategy because sometimes people will either see it out front or look at it online--this car in particular probably is in excellent condition (no paint work or scratches plus the low millage). That means it's a great car to make a little profit off despite being off brand. Some people purposely look for non-brand cars in lots for deals, plus they stand out being of a different make.

I'd go over the car with a fine-tooth comb and check the VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry) at Mercedes. I am not 100% sure if you will be able to do this.

I just bought an '05 with 12,500 on it. I did my homework and the car is a gem as listed. Edmunds.com.

This car will be leaps and bounds from a Dodge Ram...

Last edited by Nuori; 09-20-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM

Capri Blue 2005 c55 AMG
Agreed, I come from a family who owns currently 6 BMW's, so I will still be the blackball. But now just a luxury one. I think the car is a go. I think I will ask them to let me take it and bring it to a dealer tomorrow when I go to look at it. Will probably cost me $150 but well worth it in the long run.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by viper501
Extended warranties, unless they are by the manufacturer, may make you feel better but in my not so humble opinion are rarely worth the money or the paper that they are printed on.
I've used Fidelity Warranty Services on several vehicles without issue, although no repairs have ever been major. The only issue I have with them is that you do have to pay upfront and submit the receipts for reimbursement. Usually takes about 3 weeks.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 PM

LS430
Originally Posted by drug delivery
I've used Fidelity Warranty Services on several vehicles without issue, although no repairs have ever been major. The only issue I have with them is that you do have to pay upfront and submit the receipts for reimbursement. Usually takes about 3 weeks.

Fidelity is a great warranty company, my dad has it for his Nissan Titan.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Mileage seems low for 05... I would get an 05 with higher mileage.... Why?? Most common problems are prolly fixed n u won't have to worry about it.

Oh, don't judge a car by carfaux report.... Exam the car throughly.. See if theres any doors, windows, or anthing is replaced with new parts or repainted..

Good luck
Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 AM

'00 E55, 05 C55, '99 328i
Well here goes

Lookign at a 2005 c55 AMG that's that dark blue/black.

The car has 19,800 miles on it. Now reason I'm afraid is it's for sale at a Pontiac dealer, and was bought at the auction. Now the carfax doesn't come back negative, but in 4 years the car doesn't have any maintence history or anything so that's what makes me a little leary about it

Is this the one in Pennsylvania? I came close to buying that - love the color, and the miles are great, but wanted the CPO and didn't feel like dealing with the shipping. Looks real nice though.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I got my car from a non-mb dealer that bought it at an auction. The car is in mint condition and running great, the only problem with buying from a non-mb dealer was that the extended warranty couldn't be transferred.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
I got my car from a non-mb dealer that bought it at an auction. The car is in mint condition and running great, the only problem with buying from a non-mb dealer was that the extended warranty couldn't be transferred.
This is the CAR (listing below) you should have purchased from a fellow forum member, unfortunately, it was sold last week

Tough Decision
I am selling my 2006 C55.

It is a Mars Red with Ash interior and has 16,700 miles

At roughly 5,000 miles I had the Kleemann supercharger, headers and ECU upgrade done in Colorado Springs by Kleeman USA.

It has brand new Michelin PS2 tires, 225/40ZR/18 front and 255/35ZR/18 rear.

The car has been serviced by MB of Hoffman Estates and they are familiar with the car's modifications.

I'm asking $28,000.

The reason I am selling it is that for some time now I have been working on a Stage 3 Audi S4. It is done now and having two cars like this is not practical.

The C55 has been fun and relatively trouble-free and it is difficult to part with it.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Capri Blue 2005 c55 AMG
Originally Posted by ZE55
Is this the one in Pennsylvania? I came close to buying that - love the color, and the miles are great, but wanted the CPO and didn't feel like dealing with the shipping. Looks real nice though.
Yes, it was that one. I did end up purchasing that one yesterday. The car overall is in great condition, I've really fallen in love with it. Now also, I can purchase their extended warrant (masterguard, or mcguard or something). I'm really debating on which warranty to purchase. Anyone have any recommendations on what warranty to buy.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
My S7 maybe up on the block soon ... maybe graduating to a CLK63 BS if that materializes I will make a formal posting. It will be priced very competitive!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:14 PM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Originally Posted by alumar
My S7 maybe up on the block soon ... maybe graduating to a CLK63 BS if that materializes I will make a formal posting. It will be priced very competitive!
Competitive to the other S7's we have on MB world?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
na to other C55's prob high 20's realistically

Its @ 66k miles, CPO Warranty till 2010 (NOV) - note all they take care of is, electrical, windows, ...pretty much everything but Engine, Transmission, Diff, Emission System, Brakes, Shocks... (ROFL i know... but all thats changed)

But the warranty does work just had a moonroof regreased no charge and a thermostat replaced no charge.

So i figure a 28-29k figure is a fair price for a 441RWHP monster
Old 09-22-2009, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Nice pickup. Although no pix means no believe-you. So post up!