C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

no response from gas pedal...help please

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
no response from gas pedal...help please

my car is a 03 c32 with 39,000 miles. the only upgrade it has is a code 3 intake. when i start the car in the morning everything is normal, then sometimes when i press on the gas pedal while on the freeway the car just doesn't respond, doesn't rev or anything. then when i reach a stop for instance and get on the car it still goes like hell....100% power available. then the problem would re-emerge every now and then. it feels like the gas pedal is disconected or something.
any ideas as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.
lastly, I did the reset for the gas pedal thing and the car ran well for about a day.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG - in Pewter
Originally Posted by W203Ramos
my car is a 03 c32 with 39,000 miles. the only upgrade it has is a code 3 intake. when i start the car in the morning everything is normal, then sometimes when i press on the gas pedal while on the freeway the car just doesn't respond, doesn't rev or anything. then when i reach a stop for instance and get on the car it still goes like hell....100% power available. then the problem would re-emerge every now and then. it feels like the gas pedal is disconected or something.
any ideas as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.
lastly, I did the reset for the gas pedal thing and the car ran well for about a day.
Very likely faulty throttle position sensor, I dealt with that. It will have to be replaced - straightforward procedure.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Sounds like a Throttle Position Sensor problem.
I am experiencing the same thing. Last time I took it in they said that a connector to TPS was lose, and scrued it back in. But the problem is back and I am taking it in today.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:41 PM

'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
thanks for your input. I am going to bring the car to the dealer this w/e. but just to be more detailed about the problem.....it happened again today so i kept on driving the car and i realized that when i step on the gas pedal I don't hear the intake (code 3 whine) and when floored the pedal it down shifts and all, just no supercharger whine and very little power. I do hope it's just the TPS and nothing to do with the supercharger. will keep you guys updated.......by the way Z06 NICE
Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
thanks for your input. I am going to bring the car to the dealer this w/e. but just to be more detailed about the problem.....it happened again today so i kept on driving the car and i realized that when i step on the gas pedal I don't hear the intake (code 3 whine) and when floored the pedal it down shifts and all, just no supercharger whine and very little power. I do hope it's just the TPS and nothing to do with the supercharger. will keep you guys updated.......by the way Z06 NICE
From that description it sounds like the SC clutch is not engaging because your IAT's are too high from a bad IC pump.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:58 PM

Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
I got that problem. You have all the power from a stop, but if you are cruising around at 40-60ish and try to push the pedal for the transmission to downkick, nothing happens. The car slowly revs, but wont go anywhere. It sounds like its searching for a gear. I am trying to solve this myself. Please keep us updated. I called MB and asked them how much a tps sensor would cost, they told me I need to buy the entire throttle body because the sensor did not come separate. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
From that description it sounds like the SC clutch is not engaging because your IAT's are too high from a bad IC pump.
I would tend to lean towards the intercooler pump from your description as well. Mine went out a little while back and the symptoms are very similar to what you describe.

Car has power untill you start to push it, then when your intake temps reach a certain point it pulls boost and you are driving a benz powered by hampsters. Plenty of threads around dicussing the problems and fixing it yourself. Easy part to change on your own.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Panzerknacker
I would tend to lean towards the intercooler pump from your description as well. Mine went out a little while back and the symptoms are very similar to what you describe.

Car has power untill you start to push it, then when your intake temps reach a certain point it pulls boost and you are driving a benz powered by hampsters. Plenty of threads around dicussing the problems and fixing it yourself. Easy part to change on your own.
thanks for your reply, I did check the ic pump and relay and they seem to be working fine. I also changed the ic pump and relay about a year ago. the symptoms were very similar but constant, this time it sort of comes and goes. I did the throttle reset and power is good from stop light to stop light but when I'm on the highway and cruising that is when symptoms happen. I noticed that if i floor it, the transmission does kick down but no throttle response. the reason I am pretty sure...I hope....is because I cant hear the intake. the when I reach a stop it works fine and the car's intake screams...man I just hope it's something simple. will let you guys know when i go to the dealer
Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
will let you guys know when i go to the dealer

I'm 99.9% sure that you will need to replace the whole accelerator/gas paddle.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
I got a call from my SA today and they told me the Trottle Actuator needs to be replaced. I am going to talk to the SA about the posibility of it being the TPS. Just don't want to spend 15% of the cars' worth on some BS part.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by kindafast
I got a call from my SA today and they told me the Trottle Actuator needs to be replaced. I am going to talk to the SA about the posibility of it being the TPS. Just don't want to spend 15% of the cars' worth on some BS part.
Please let us know what they did on your car. The sh***y throttle response has been bugging me for about a year now. I really hope it is something cheap cause I just cant spend ANY more money than what I already spent on this car. If it is the TPS sensor, let us know where you ordered it from or if you ordered the entire gas pedal assembly.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:12 PM

so after driving the car for a while and the symptom appears....I did notice that the car does everything it's supposed to when accelerating. when i stomp on the pedal it downshifts starts to rev (slowly) just no supercharger. this will happen for about 30-60 sec the the car returns to normal and runs strong. I've read numerous posts and threads and I think my ic pump is dead.....can anyone tell me how to check the ic pump if it is working? thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 05:50 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
so after driving the car for a while and the symptom appears....I did notice that the car does everything it's supposed to when accelerating. when i stomp on the pedal it downshifts starts to rev (slowly) just no supercharger. this will happen for about 30-60 sec the the car returns to normal and runs strong. I've read numerous posts and threads and I think my ic pump is dead.....can anyone tell me how to check the ic pump if it is working? thanks
The intercooler pump runs for about 5 seconds after you shut the car off. After driving the car (long enough for the pump to activate) listen for the humming by the right front tire after you turn off the engine. Recruit a friend to help you out if you want, but you can make it over there if you are quick. No humming=no pump. According to fellow MBworld posters the stock units are a frequent source of failure even if you had it replaced recently.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:22 PM

'03 C32
any updates??? Really want to know if the TPS is the cause of this problem.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by tokyo0one
any updates??? Really want to know if the TPS is the cause of this problem.
+1, that is what I would like to know as well as the price of the TPS or the entire gas pedal assembly.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Panzerknacker
The intercooler pump runs for about 5 seconds after you shut the car off. After driving the car (long enough for the pump to activate) listen for the humming by the right front tire after you turn off the engine. Recruit a friend to help you out if you want, but you can make it over there if you are quick. No humming=no pump. According to fellow MBworld posters the stock units are a frequent source of failure even if you had it replaced recently.
Thanks...did what you said and no sound, nadda, zippo it's dead. will be ordering upgraded pump and do the install probably next w/e. thanks again hope it solves my issues.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by alkrstev
+1, that is what I would like to know as well as the price of the TPS or the entire gas pedal assembly.
according to the service manager at mb....if it was a tps sensor you would see cel's if not most probably the i/c pump. he said that the years 03+ will cut off s/c if iat's are over 199 degrees...and istead of a cel you would only see elevated iat's when connected to diagnostic compu
hope this info helps you guys......getting a bit frustrated with the whole guessing thing
Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
according to the service manager at mb....if it was a tps sensor you would see cel's if not most probably the i/c pump. he said that the years 03+ will cut off s/c if iat's are over 199 degrees...and istead of a cel you would only see elevated iat's when connected to diagnostic compu
hope this info helps you guys......getting a bit frustrated with the whole guessing thing
yah sounds right. you wont see a CEL with bad I/C pump, and s/c will shut off. mine is an 02 and did the same when my i/c pump went out.

going with a CM30?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by jturkel
yah sounds right. you wont see a CEL with bad I/C pump, and s/c will shut off. mine is an 02 and did the same when my i/c pump went out.

going with a CM30?
yes I am! I just hope that it's plug and play....re the wiring harness thing/connectors. will order it from eurocharge tom after i get an answer re: the connectors. thanks to all for the responses and suggestions
Old 10-18-2009, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
yes I am! I just hope that it's plug and play....re the wiring harness thing/connectors. will order it from eurocharge tom after i get an answer re: the connectors. thanks to all for the responses and suggestions
just call up jake or jerry at eurocharged. they'll answer it for you. i'm pretty sure its plug and play. i dont have it though so cant confirm this.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
OK, this is my experience. I hope it helps, but maybe not. Either way, good Luck!

When my IC pump went out and I floored it, there was a big jerk and loss of power. It was pretty clear it was the IC pump from researching others having the same experience.

I have also rebuilt my Throttle Body Actuator in lieu in buying a new one. It has a lifetime guarantee and done by a longtime reputable company for $400 with a two week turnaround time.

The bad news is, I think I have experienced exactly what you are describing to some extent. When I had issues with my TPS, the car went into limp mode and threw a CEL. Most of the codes pointed to the TPS, which is why I had it rebuilt. I have also been driving on the freeway and every blue moon, the S/C will totally shut off, I'll have zero power and it will not go back to normal unless I restart the car. No CEL, no limp mode. It would happen every few months or so. I do have to say that since I had the TPS rebuilt, I haven't had it happen again....YET. If you decide you do want to get it rebuilt, I got it done by this company:
http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx

I have also bought the REV application for my iPhone and can now monitor IAT's, timing, intake manifold pressure, etc, so I can know what's going on with the car.

Hope you get it all worked out! Trust me, I know how frustrating it is!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 AM

GL 350 Bluetec
Thanks...did what you said and no sound, nadda, zippo it's dead. will be ordering upgraded pump and do the install probably next w/e. thanks again hope it solves my issues.
I installed a CM30 just a little bit ago on my car thats why me experience with it was so fresh. It is in front of the right front tire, all you have to remove is the inside fender guard and its right there. The hardest part of the install is getting the old clamps off of the hoses. After that its just off with the old on with the new. Buy some new hose clamps and some coolant. It is just plug and play other than that, I just cut wires and connected them with some clamps. No fancy harnesses or anything needed.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:57 PM

THANKS

thanks to all the members that have helped me with their suggestions. it turned out to be the ic pump after all. I replaced the pump myself with a johnson cm30 pump which cost me $145 shipped....so far so goodTHANKS AGAIN!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM

c 32 amg
thanks to all the members that have helped me with their suggestions. it turned out to be the ic pump after all. I replaced the pump myself with a johnson cm30 pump which cost me $145 shipped....so far so goodTHANKS AGAIN!!!
my car has the same problem but did not start until i replace my ic pump and then it start a couple hundred miles later it was solid until i put the johnson ic pump in
Old 12-14-2023, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
that's tricky I have issue where the gas surges at idle I bought a brand new accelerator pedal and when I hit gas nothing happens like pedal dead I'm wondering if there is a fuse I can check and replace it if popped?