C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Signed up for auto-x this weekend, any tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Signed up for auto-x this weekend, any tips?

Never done one before (in any car), so I signed up for the Novice class. Any tips to keep my C55 in line? Keep it in Manual 2nd gear? Stay off the gas around a curve etc etc.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
sounds like fun!! keep it on the track so you can do the 1/4 on the 23!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
Check my youtube vids ; lots of autocross stuff

Click on right side (view all) http://www.youtube.com/user/alumarventrue

first few runs i would recommend leaving all technology on, just get used to the car around corners etc.

if you feel comfortable ... turn of TC and brake straight line, turn in accelerate through
Old 10-13-2009, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Depends on courses... You'll prolly never go over 2nd gear..
Get there early and walk around the course.. Ask others for tips.. Go slow on first few runs then push ur car to limit..

Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Get there early and walk around the course.. Ask others for tips.. Go slow on first few runs then push ur car to limit..

Enjoy!

The FIRST mistake by a new autocrosser is that they get lost. It is EASY to do, as after awhile it simply looks like a sea of cones. I ALWAYS walk the course atleast 3 times. Last time solo so that I am not distracted.

Second, forget EVERYTHING you have ever learned on a road course. AKA fast in slow out, heel toe, apexs, etc, etc. There simply is NO time for faniese here my friend. If it is a WIDE open course, take the SHORTEST distance around. If it is a TIGHT course, just try not to hit anything and make every gate.

Third as others have said, GO SLOW your first run, afterall you have many more. Learn the course. Put it in S mode, and let God sort it out. You DO NOT want to be manually shifting, as you WILL have your hands full the first several laps.

Fourth, HAVE FUN. TALK to similar cars, aka class, and talk with WHOEVER is fast. It never hurts to get pointers from BETTER drivers/Cars.

Bump up the pressure in the fronts to about 38-40, and drop the rears to about 30-32. This will HELP make the car more neutral. It will still understeer, aka push, but it will be better I can assure you.

I just had the S600 out, PM for Details.

By the way, my first EVER driver instructor was there, and reminded me that He taught me some 27 years ago

But I did still beat him

Last edited by MRAMG1; 10-13-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXx3qbJdckY
Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo

Enjoy!
I did this for many years. +1 on walking the course (some SCCA Clubs don't let you and I don't know why? ) Although they all do NOT allow "pre-runs". Get to know the Pointer Cones which are the cones that point the way for the corner, that's what my eyes always go to for next corner. I was always looking to the next corner at the APEX of my current one. The C55 is a decent handling car and you'll probably never get out of second and maybe hit third. I agree with Alumar to let the Electronic nannys monitor the car for a few runs and then take em off. Check tire pressures as well as they can vary over the course of a day!! Like Mike says, Slow in the straight and hit it coming off the apex. Our cars do not turn and brake real well.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Had a great time. Obviously was much slower than everyone else, but it was my first time, and in this car.

Kept it in Manual 2, and that got me all around the course. First few runs I kept ETS on, and it helped at times but didn't at others. Took it off the last run, and I did better, but definitely slid around the course more. Ran off the course a few times, got sideways too many times (even with ETS on), etc etc.

One thing my "coach" was telling me is that I need to be less abrupt on and off the gas. I know I do that (because I'm used to it from street driving, when you need to quickly prepare to slam on the brakes due to other idiot drivers on the road), but it's only more pronounced with the large amount of torque this V8 produces. So I'll have to work on my smoothness.

And regardless that the C55 is only 3600 lbs and relatively small and lightweight (compared to the rest of the MB line), it still is no "nimble" automobile.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:47 PM

03 C32 AMG
Sounded like you had a blast bro...Where was the auto-x? In Lawrenceville? I live just an hour and a half to Atlanta and may consider doing this at a later time.

How much to enter? Also, was it a sponsored event?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It was held at Turner Field (in the old stadium parking lot) by the Atlanta Region SCCA (ARSCCA). It was their 10th and final points run of the season (I think they also have additional test-n-tune and time-only days). Normally they do it there or at Road Atlanta.

Cost was $40 for non-SCCA members, and $30 for SCCA members. You get a $15 voucher towards an SCCA membership if you are not a member. Everyone pretty much got 4 runs in. They split it into two sessions, morning and afternoon, each which was also split into work or drive, then flip flop. So you only had to be there half a day, whenever your group was going.

Signing up for novice class gives you a good beginners lesson, and an instructor also rides with you on how to work the course.

The website is www.soloatlanta.com

PS - I also got a compliment from someone saying that they liked that someone brought out an AMG to do what it was meant for.