C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Add oil message....something wrong?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Add oil message....something wrong?

I've had my C55 about a year with about 13K miles on it since purchase. Just about the time the Service A was due I got a message to add a quart of oil. I thought nothing of it since it was basically time to change the oil. Service A was performed by dealer and now about 4000 miles later I get the add oil message again. It tells me to add 1.5 quarts. I can't believe this car should normally burn through that much oil in 4000 miles. The car runs fine. I never smell oil or see smoke out the back.

Is this a sign of trouble to come or should I look the other way and just keep adding oil when it tells me to and change it when Mercedes says so?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
No, nothing is wrong. I use to have this happen when it was time for my oil change. If you do the onboard oil check through the lcd, it will tell you how much oil you need to add. My c32 burns a bit of oil or I may not have added enough oil when I did the oil change. You can always add some in. Use Mobile 1 synthetic w0-40 I think, double check to make sure.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:12 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Use Mobile 1 synthetic w0-40 I think, double check to make sure.
It's w0-40 although Winter is approaching up here so a bit thicker weight will be called for. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by drug delivery
]... so a bit thicker weight will be called for. Thanks.
This is the only (originally) approved oil for our rides. The w0-40 should be adequate for all seasons.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
It's w0-40 although Winter is approaching up here so a bit thicker weight will be called for. Thanks.
You have it completely backwards. you want LIGHTER oil in the winter, and thicker oil in the summer... Although 0w-40 is fine for most conditions.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:23 AM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
Beleive it or not, most manufacturers don't consider a motor having a consumption problem until it uses a quart every 600 miles. Most of us are accustomed to cars not needing any oil between changes, but there are some motors that use some oil and it isn't always a sign of trouble. A quart every 600 sounds ridiculous to me, but I have read this.

Yeah, 0-W40 Mobil 1 is what should be used year round.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Oil Consumption

A small amount of oil consumption, especially toward the end of the longish MB service schedule is nothing to loose sleep over. Especially if you drive the car hard. Still, the following has been my experience with a variety of vehicles.

Porsche 944S 2.5L DOHC 4 cyl - 124k mi - Never ever used a drop of oil. Ran on Mobil1 all its life with 3k between changes

C36 AMG 3.6L DOHC 6 cyl - 103k mi - Never ever used a drop of oil. Ran on Mobil1 all its life with 3-4k between changes

C32 AMG V6 Kompressor 3.2L - 62k mi - Never ever used a drop of oil. Ran on Mobil1 all its life with 5k between changes (that is half the recommended MB interval). I am never going to go 10k between oil changes.

Toyota MR2 Turbo 2.0L DOHC 4 cyl - 126k mi - Began using oil after many years of use and abuse. Rate increased to about 0.5 quart/500 mi. Engine failed (siezed), running on Castrol semi-synthetic blend. Oil changed every 3k mi

Honda Prelude SH 2.2L DOHC 4 cyl - 112k mi - Has used oil as long as we have had it at rate of 0.5 qt/500 mi. Running Castrol long milage oil. Many track days and auto-x's. Still ticking

Honda Civic Si 1.6L DOHC 4 cyl - 99k mi - Has used oil as long as we have had it at rate of 0.5 qt/500 mi. Running Castrol long milage oil.

Oldsmobile Cutlass 3.1L V6 - 162k mi - Never uses oil unless the change interval is pushed past 5k mi. Runs like a champ on Penzoil's cheapest 5w30 and still gets 30mpg.

Pattern, the Japanese engines seem to be looser and use more oil, even when no real problem exists. The German engines which I admit were treated to the best synthetic oils at sooner than recommended intervals remained tight and never used oil. The old lo-tech American pushrod V6 in the Olds is also a great example of an engine that performs way better than it deserves to. I have had it for over 6 years and put more than 90k on it and have yet to even change the spark plugs.

I don't know how many miles are on your C55 or how you drive it or maintain it but if it is using any more oil than when you bought it, (a change has occured), ask yourself what is different? Is there oil on the pavement, signifying a leak. Is there smoke on start-up? This would point to valve guide seals. Is one spark plug black and oily while the others look normal? That would point to one cylinder going down. Is compression on all 8 cylinders normal and nearly equal? If all these are OK, then I would just drive it and not worry. If one is out of spec, then dig deeper.

Irish
Old 11-02-2009, 12:49 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by JG26_Irish
I don't know how many miles are on your C55 or how you drive it or maintain it but if it is using any more oil than when you bought it, (a change has occured), ask yourself what is different? Is there oil on the pavement, signifying a leak. Is there smoke on start-up? This would point to valve guide seals. Is one spark plug black and oily while the others look normal? That would point to one cylinder going down. Is compression on all 8 cylinders normal and nearly equal? If all these are OK, then I would just drive it and not worry. If one is out of spec, then dig deeper.

Irish
The car has just a tad over 30,000 miles. I drive it hard but not as hard as my Corvette, which is 2 years older and about the same mileage and it uses zero oil, even when doing high speed track events. I've had the C55 to the drag strip once this year (6 passes), which was after the Service A. The only time i've seen smoke on start up is when I have moved the car out of the garage without letting it idle down first and shutting if off right away. I do this to pull the lawn mower out. Now I just let the car idle down first before pulling out and this issue went away.

If I have to add more by the time the Service B is due then I can have the dealer check it out then, if not sooner.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
It's normal to burn some oil in our cars..
Do check for some leaks around valve covers..
Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM

c32 AMG
Not sure about C55s but I know the C32s don't come with an oil measuring dipstick. So i purchased an aftermarket one and always make sure through that. Good investment!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 PM

08 M5, 06 X3, 05 C55
my rear main seal is leaking a bit of oil on my C55 and I've been too cheap/lazy to fix it. so it loses about 1 quart every 6 month or so. you might want to check that out, i hear it's a common problem.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
my rear main seal is leaking a bit of oil on my C55 and I've been too cheap/lazy to fix it. so it loses about 1 quart every 6 month or so. you might want to check that out, i hear it's a common problem.
If I get a chance to get the car on a lift I'll take a look.

I had the right valve cover resealed earlier this year because it was leaking quite badly. It's clean as a whistle right now.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 AM

08 M5, 06 X3, 05 C55
If I get a chance to get the car on a lift I'll take a look.

I had the right valve cover resealed earlier this year because it was leaking quite badly. It's clean as a whistle right now.

I actually had the same thing done. The rear main seal won't be as easy to change. you'd have to unhook the tranny from your engine to fix.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM

C55 AMG 2005
I've had my C55 about a year with about 13K miles on it since purchase. Just about the time the Service A was due I got a message to add a quart of oil. I thought nothing of it since it was basically time to change the oil. Service A was performed by dealer and now about 4000 miles later I get the add oil message again. It tells me to add 1.5 quarts. I can't believe this car should normally burn through that much oil in 4000 miles. The car runs fine. I never smell oil or see smoke out the back.

Is this a sign of trouble to come or should I look the other way and just keep adding oil when it tells me to and change it when Mercedes says so?
Before I change the engine oil was Taatzar me an increase of oil Chilli to 1 liter and then changed the engine oil and filter and I know that there must be 7 liters and a half because of a lack of 1 liter the C55 need for 8.5-liter I was surprised by the presence of 6 liters just about any missing is 2.5-liter and the type of oil used is Mobil 1 specifications 0-40W

What is the problem? Is the type of oil or oil sensor does not work accurately??

What is the solution??