C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

So, I'll be needing front brakes soon...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Being a SCCA road racer for over two decades, I can say without ANY question EBC red stuff are a GREAT pad. They NEVER faded on the track on my C32, after the stockers quit SEVERAL times. No noise, no dust, what more could you want.

I just installed the EBC red pads on mine car and I HATED !!! The dust is the same as factory pad and the noise are constant and embarrasing when make complete stop.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Klinh
I just installed the EBC red pads on mine car and I HATED !!! The dust is the same as factory pad and the noise are constant and embarrasing when make complete stop.
I would suggest that you did not bed them properly my friend.

I had them on my C32, which I tracked HARD, and they NEVER squealed. As far as dust, I was MAINLY concerned with good grip, aka stopping power with NO FADE. My stock brakes would fade after about 17-18 minutes of tracking. When I switched to EBC red stuff, I could stay out for a full 30 minute session with NO FADE.

There was a gentlemen on the W211 section that had the squeal you are referring to, and when he used my bedding procedure below, it went away.

Note: an old racers trick for quick bedding. Go out to an interstate and do 10-12 reasonably hard slow downs NEVER STOP WHILE DOING THIS PROCEDURE, aka 60-40 3 times, 60-30 3 times, 60-20 3 times. At the point when you can smell the brakes fairly easy, this is when you now drive for about 10 minutes WITHOUT touching the brake pedal. You may have to do a few 60-10 to get them hot enough. Drive home, let them sit over night and they will NEVER squeal for you, just FYI

Now, as far as dust, they were MUCH less than the stockers, NEVER faded, good pedal feel, and they DID not eat my rotors.

As was mentioned above, EBC actually changed their compound SEVERAL times. To the best of my knowledge they still change their compound from time to time. I do not know which formula I bought from Summit racing, nor do I care because they WORKED
Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Yeah, this sounds safe. I don't know any roads where this can realÍstically safely be done. Are you realy suggesting people go out on a highway and decelerate from 60-30 or 20mph multiple times?

So, in summary, you could try playing the EBC brake pad lottery, risk getting some really poor performing pads and have to go though a crazy bed-in process OR

You can just buy Akebono, Hawk, or Porterfield pads that users on this forum have had much better luck with, perform as good, if not better than EBC and cost about the same. Again, as far as akebono's go, they are a ceramic based, very low dust pad intended for street use. I believe porterfield and maybe hawk make race application pads for the C32 and C55.

I'm still amazed people even consider EBC pads at all. They are a relatively small company as far as making automotive beake pads. As far as I know, they don't provide pads to any car companies as a OEM supplier, and I personally haven't seen any well-funded race teams use them either. The other pad companies mentioned in this thread however range from the largest OEM pad supplier in the world to companies proven by race teams at the professional level such as F1 all the way down to SCCA.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by e1000
Yeah, this sounds safe. I don't know any roads where this can realÍstically safely be done. Are you realy suggesting people go out on a highway and decelerate from 60-30 or 20mph multiple times?
Where did I state to do this in traffic Around my way, you pick the right time and no issues, but I know you know better

So, in summary, you could try playing the EBC brake pad lottery, risk getting some really poor performing pads and have to go though a crazy bed-in process ORNo, I stated that they revise the pads, NOT go backwards my friend. And ALL pads require a bed in procedure that is in the box when you by them. If you look

You can just buy AkebonoNO not even close and not track rated, HawkAh again NO as they do not make them for our car last time I checked, or Porterfield If money is no object and you do not want to stop as well, surepads that users on this forum have had much better luck with, perform as good, if not better than EBC and cost about the same. Again, as far as akebono's go, they are a ceramic based, very low dust pad intended for street use.Agreed I believe porterfield and maybe hawk make race application pads for the C32 and C55.

I'm still amazed people even consider EBC pads at all. They are a relatively small company as far as making automotive beake pads. As far as I know, they don't provide pads to any car companies as a OEM supplier, and I personally haven't seen any well-funded race teams use them eitherThe you are NOT arouind any tracks. I'll take some pictures for you from Beaverun in trhe spring my friend. The other pad companies mentioned in this thread however range from the largest OEM pad supplier in the world to companies proven by race teams at the professional level such as F1 all the way down to SCCA.
Good luck, and have a nice day
Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon

I just wanted some brake pads... ;.; Why is everybody arguing now???

I've used EBC Greens on my C230 coupe back in the day, and they behaved fine. I was going to do the same for the 32, but now I'm worried...and now I'm not sure if I should replace the rotors. I guess I'd find out when I put the brakes on.

I see everyone used Red stuff. What about Green Stuff?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Good luck, and have a nice day
Why do you keep insisting on recommending track purpose pads on a street application? We've already seen the downsides of this voiced my several forum members.

So now who's the person that's got the "heavy opinion" and can't back himself up?

You have a good day too pal.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
Why do you keep insisting on recommending track purpose pads on a street application? We've already seen the downsides of this voiced my several forum members.
It's kind of funny, there are those who "think" they need track pads on the street. Problem is, you can't drive on the street like a track, can't be done. You'll either kill yourself, someone else, or end up in jail. If you have the need for speed, that's cool, sign up and do track days.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by Koru_Kinshi

I've used EBC Greens on my C230 coupe back in the day, and they behaved fine. I was going to do the same for the 32, but now I'm worried...and now I'm not sure if I should replace the rotors. I guess I'd find out when I put the brakes on.

I see everyone used Red stuff. What about Green Stuff?
You can measure your rotors for minimum thickness. If they are still within spec, show no signs of abnormal wear such as cracking, and you do not feel any pulsation in your brake pedal, you can keep the rotors.

As far as pads, I, and other forum members like the Akebono ceramics for a low dust street application. You can order them easily through tirerack.com. Hawk and porterfield are also good choices.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
let's start a new poll
which AMG drivers use brake pads and are satisfied with it?
A) Akebono
B) Porterfield
C) Hawk
D) OEM
E) other (includes EBC)

Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

I see everyone used Red stuff. What about Green Stuff? My personal opion is that if you are thinking about EBC go with the REDS. They are a MUCH better product
I am sorry my friend, as I never wanted to start an argument with ANYONE. I just hate responses that have no merit to them.

Hey use whatever you want. My point was/is that EBC reds are a GREAT MULTI purpose pad.

Are there better street only pads, I guess

However it truly is hard to beat them for ALL the benefits that they give you. That is/was my point.

Again SORRY for all the confusion my friend.

PS I REALLY wish they still made Bendix Friction Kings II. Now THAT was a PAD for all you old timers out there
Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

So now who's the person that's got the "heavy opinion" and can't back himself up?When and at what track my Friend

I talk the talk and walk the walk

Here in lies the difference between us

Good night Gracie
Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Once again, Hawk does not make a pad for the c32 front . They only offer a pad for the rear. I was told this from a Hawk distributor and followed it up by searching the Hawk site.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
I talk the talk and walk the walk

Here in lies the difference between us

Good night Gracie
You talk but I don't see anything else. I think the biggest difference between us is that I've made a solid recommendation to the OP whereas you just got all worked up over what I thought of EBC pads. Unfortunately you can't seem to backup your point of view.

Walk the walk eh? Since you felt the need to call me out and even question what I do for a living, why don't you give us some proof. Numbers? Tests? Statistics? I bet you'll just keep spewing your fanboyism. Sure it's your opinion, and unlike you, I respect it. Rest assure you've proven nothing so far.

I said it once and I'll say it again. EBC pads are pure garbage and I wouldn't put them on a lawnmower!!!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
I'm sure MRAMG1 would say my problems with the EBC rotors, and pads were at my fault... Can't do much beyond having them professionally installed, and correct bed-in process. After my experience with EBC I would never buy them again for any of my vehicles. Front/rear rotors, and pads with only around 5k miles on them. **** was already cracking, and the vibration was ridiculous.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by gt4awd
I'm sure MRAMG1 would say my problems with the EBC rotors, and pads were at my fault... Can't do much beyond having them professionally installed, and correct bed-in process. After my experience with EBC I would never buy them again for any of my vehicles. Front/rear rotors, and pads with only around 5k miles on them. **** was already cracking, and the vibration was ridiculous.
No I wouldn't my friend. I have simply stated all the GOOD results that me and others at the track have had. If they gave you a bad set, which I do believe could happen, then get them off. ALL companies make mistakes.

I LIKE EBC red stuff, why because they have worked for me on ALL my cars which now have them on at least one axle.

I have NEVER stated that EBC are the ONLY pad out there. I have simply stated that they are a GREAT multi purpose pad, and will continue to state this as I have proved it with hundreds of laps at Beaverun.

Good luck to all, and sorry to hear about your headaches.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Why do you keep insisting on recommending track purpose pads on a street application? We've already seen the downsides of this voiced my several forum members.Again you are wrong, as RED stuff are track capable, NOT track only. That would be their yellow brand if you did not know

So now who's the person that's got the "heavy opinion" and can't back himself up?I would be glad to

You talk but I don't see anything else. I think the biggest difference between us is that I've made a solid recommendation to the OP And I guess I did not?whereas you just got all worked up over what I thought of EBC pads. Unfortunately you can't seem to backup your point of view.See below

Walk the walk eh? Since you felt the need to call me out and even question what I do for a living,Never did this, I simply asked what your background is? A fair question IMHO when giving advise why don't you give us some proof. Numbers? Tests? Statistics? I bet you'll just keep spewing your fanboyism. Sure it's your opinion, and unlike you, I respect it. Rest assure you've proven nothing so far.I do not feel the need to prove anything to you my friend.

I said it once and I'll say it again. EBC pads are pure garbage and I wouldn't put them on a lawnmower!!!!!Again an opinion based on what

Okay some facts about me and red stuff since I have NOTHING to back up my talk according to E1000

Beaverun

91 Mustang SCCA world challenge series prepared, lap times 1:04
02 BMW M Roadster, factory stock lap times 1:14
04 C32, stock 1:12, Red stuff and pulley, 1:09 Note: Stock brakes would fade around 17-18 minutes, red stuff NEVER would fade during a 30 minute session as stated above.

All of the above were at Beaverun

The Mustang was based at Nelson Ledges from 94-98 where it under went numerous modifications for different class rules.

At Nelson ledges, stock 1:24 on street tires, after all was said and done 1:17

Note A stock class SCCA mustangs typically lap here at 1:22

Your turn E1000
Old 11-07-2009, 08:34 AM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
Okay some facts about me and red stuff since I have NOTHING to back up my talk according to E1000

Note: Stock brakes would fade around 17-18 minutes, red stuff NEVER would fade during a 30 minute session as stated above.
Sorry, but these aren't any facts that prove anything other than the pad material used in red stuff operates in a slightly higher temperature range than stock. With the amount of track time you've spent, I'm sure you know there are dedicated race pads that are a heart attack when cold and no way in the world to fade when hot, that's the other end of the spectrum.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Phil C55
Sorry, but these aren't any facts that prove anything other than the pad material used in red stuff operates in a slightly higher temperature range than stock. With the amount of track time you've spent, I'm sure you know there are dedicated race pads that are a heart attack when cold and no way in the world to fade when hot, that's the other end of the spectrum.Yes I am and that is why I NEVER recommend Yellows for a street car. Even though one gentlemen here has them for the street.
Yes, you are correct that it only proves that the material is of a higher temperature capacity. But also note, my lap time went down, aka they have a better co efficient of friction to boot

Hay, I am just saying that I LIKE THEM, period. I am not a brake God, or a mechanical engineer that works for a brake firm. I am a avid road racer with an engineering degree that has been road racing for over 20 years, and I just happen to have seen what works and what doesn't.

I have tried just about EVERY pad maker under the sun when I was tracking my stang HARD, and found out what pads work, and what pads do not.

Buy WHATEVER you like

Trust me I REALLY don't care what is on your car my friend. I was just defending EBC pads as they DO work. I have proof that they work. And they are on my 06 SRT 300, Freestyle, Fusion, EX C32, and would have been on my S600 had they not sent me the wrong part number.

Okay, GOOD LUCK to the OP, and I am done here this has been beaten to death.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 11-07-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
i had EBC green on my honda years ago and hated them... stock pads were better!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time

Beaverun

91 Mustang SCCA world challenge series prepared, lap times 1:04
02 BMW M Roadster, factory stock lap times 1:14
04 C32, stock 1:12, Red stuff and pulley, 1:09 Note: Stock brakes would fade around 17-18 minutes, red stuff NEVER would fade during a 30 minute session as stated above.

All of the above were at Beaverun

The Mustang was based at Nelson Ledges from 94-98 where it under went numerous modifications for different class rules.

At Nelson ledges, stock 1:24 on street tires, after all was said and done 1:17

Note A stock class SCCA mustangs typically lap here at 1:22

Your turn E1000
My turn? Hah. I don't know if you've noticed, but the WHOLE THREAD has been going my way. Other members of this forum, who I honestly don't usually talk to, have chimed in and agreed with me. I think that's proof enough.

Besides, I wasn't the one who started questioning people and their experiences nor did I ever blame bed-in process, or if anyone confused red for green either.

I sincerely hope this is my last post. You keep using your pads and I'll keep using mine. As to the OP, I hope you don't take our bit of bickering negatively, but you sift through the mess and find the bits of good information.

Sorry for the late reply I'm relaxing in Cancun!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=e1000;3800604Sorry for the late reply I'm relaxing in Cancun![/QUOTE]

Enjoy the beach
Old 11-07-2009, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
Sorry for the late reply I'm relaxing in Cancun!

Cancun sucks!!! Hawaii's better!!!

Sorry, I figure I get an argument in, too.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:19 PM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash

Cancun sucks!!! Hawaii's better!!!
*******s, I'm just a broke dick that hasn't been to either.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Hah! You guys are killing me! Here for a wedding. Been raining a lot but still enjoying myself and overall, the resort is pretty nice. Hey phil next time I have to go to a destination wedding you can fill in for me. BTW, my buddy that got married is from Chicago and so is most of the wedding party!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Well, obviously, many members uses Akebono or Porterfield (seems to be fav)..
I tried something different by switch'n to EBC YELLOW.. So far so good so you can either go with the main stream or try something different and like it... or hate it...

FYI, Ive used many different sets on various cars before (Rx7, Supra, Audi A4), EBC, Hawk pads were reliable on the street / track..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So, I'll be needing front brakes soon...