C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Project....Retrofit 05+ Center Console on C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
[QUOTE=OverDrive;3835662]In theroy im past one of the harder parts besides the sound.. Yes the navigation will work. Just getting the unit to power off and turn on with out any antitheft or coding involved... Keep in mind i have no fiberoptics hooked up to eather...and its still boots..Um ill have to look into the sirius not sure if this navi had that system. It came from an O5 C55 so the 05 55 guys Do you have sirius? The hard part is getting the sound to work......

Haha Pics of the car since im getting pms about it. My 190e that i picked up for $100.00 bucks is next to it (89 2.6 Manual 128k) Lots of mods... Wont post about it since this is a Console thread

Yes, I have Sirius on the C55 BUT do NOT have it connected!! I have a great portable that I use from car-to-car and its easier than paying separate subscriptions for each car at $13.00 per month each. The portable unit is great and I like Blue Collar Comedy and the 80s station (they also have a lot of great XM stations now that they've merged.) Is it worth it? I say it is (only if you have multiple cars would I get the portable). The portable is like taking a garmin from car to car.

As for the MB Nav, I prefer the new 5.5 inch Garmin unit (its big and easily updatable) on-line with a USB Cable. You can update a Garmin for up to 5 years for about $49.00 for a subscription. If I could avoid it, I'd never buy Nav from the factory again. Problem is, MB and Lexus and many others package it in with other options I do want!!

Last edited by Newzchspy; 12-03-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo
As i tend to agree with you... aftermarket way more support, cheaper, easy to upgrade... but im into classy look for C32, clean no wires no extras that don't look like they don't belong (As i do have a tom tom in the 190e so i hope im not offending anyone) so thats why im doing the project.... also its somethign to do haha, I have pretty much all the mods that the C32 offers minius teh HSTQC, NOS, LSD and a few others which are one my list of things to do

On Side note... Just got the correct buttons, so that one less thing now... Just need to take care of some of the wireing issues and then ill go ahead and install it

Last edited by OverDrive; 12-03-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Yeah my C55 came pre-wired for Sirus but I havn't bother hooking it up yet. Good luck with your retro fit. Looks good!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:29 PM

Volvo
Alright guys, I made some head way on the wiring.... I now have everything I need to get the sound working (In theory)

So as the Comand Unit can Come with or with out the the HK Sound system, it has speaker harness directly on the comand unit.... Since theres no way to get the amp to power up or talk to the new unit as The MOST Cables and D2B Cables are different, as before i discussed ill be adding a brand new amp and speakers.... but for now use the Comand Unit as the standard amp. Heres what i found.... After looking the BOSE amp and doing some research below...

I have found and identified the speaker wires going from the amp to the speakers.... (If you have the Bose system, Your headunit sends the Output sound through the fiberoptic cables, (instead of component cables) to the amp, then the amp applys power and sends the sound to the speaker using standard speaker wires) Below in the red circle are the speaker wires from the amp, going to the speakers

From my comand unit that i got from the wrecked C55... I cut the harness and got the correct adapter to plug in to the comand unit (The Output for the speakers for systems without HK System). I then adapted this to the new Wireloom for the conversion.

I now have 3 options on what i can do.....

Option 1: I can run the 8 wires from the trunk where the amp is.... Disconnect the factory amp, Splice into the speaker wires runing from the amp to the speakers....Connect them up to the harness that I modified and use the Comand unit as an Amp.

Option 2: Similar to option 1 but Instead of runing it from the trunk.... I would run them from each speaker.

Option 3: I can run the 8 wires from the trunk where the amp is.... Disconnect the factory amp, Splice into the speaker wires runing from the amp to the speakers. Then Use a Hi-Low Converter to get RCA's and Connect a Aftermarket amp.

Anyway guys I plan to have this tested soon... Its cold out/raining.... But this is the latest plan i have to overcome the sound issues.... If this works.. Everything will be 90% working... Only other issue will be using controls from the steering.

Ill make DIY if i can...Anyway guys Cheers!

Last edited by OverDrive; 12-06-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
That sould all work fine...

The steering wheel buttons wont work unless you get e cluster that works with MOST im afraid.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:24 PM

Volvo
Another Update:

So the last couple days i been working on running wires... making a new harness for the Button Cluster... Puting my dash back together...ect...

What i have found out.... 05 Button clusters use a differnt connector....so i had to make a new harness to convert the preface lift buttons to the new one....I use a cat 5 cable for the new harness. I ran all new speaker wire behind the glovebox and through the side of the car...Im not done wiring yet, however i am done with all the wiring i need to do for the New Console. I Tuck the GPS antenna near the middle speaker on the console. Its a tight fit to get the new comand system along with the new harness and added wires.

Pics:

Square stock harness for the Button Cluster

New Harness i custom made so i didn't have to splice any wires on the stock harness

The new button Cluster.... As you can see its different than the Preface lift ones

Everything is now coming together on the console

The Console wiring finshed.... Boots up and shows my car on gps.... I also tested the sound by taking out one of the bose speakers and hooking it up to one of the wires......and im happy to report that the console is able to broadcast sound to the bose speakers

Everything put in

Thats all for now guys... Hope to have another update soon as the bay area stops raining...

So far the Budget is still under 1000$

Last edited by OverDrive; 12-11-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
too bad this isnt more plug and play
Old 12-14-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Dan,
No doubt you'll be succesfull on this project just as you were on all the other stuff you've done on the C. Keep it up. R U in for the 1-9-10 LET tune in Fremont?
BTW I also have a '87 190e 2.3 with 334K on it. This car just keeps going!!
I actually like the road handling of this car better than the C32. I put KONI Sports dampers and Suspension Techniques Coils and 16" 2003 E320 rims. love the slug.
Doug
Old 12-15-2009, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
too bad this isnt more plug and play
As you can see in my original guide that inspired OverDrive to make this retrofit is that this is more plug n play than you think depending on what you have installed from the beginning: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ntg-2-5-a.html
Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Volvo
ok guys... sorry for the late update... Been raining in the bay area.... and my company had a small merger with a smaller company... so been busy with that.

So i just finshed up wiring the hi-low rca converter from the Output wires i made from the Comand unit... (Posted in my earlier post) (The converter makes it so i can use RCA cables as output to hookup an aftermarket amp) I then found out after i removed some of the carpet around the passanger area that theres a little space to mount the Converter which works out Great! Also on the passanger side theres a whole bunch of other Misc wires that are ran factory by mercedes with a wiretunnel which is even better so i don't have rip the entire side interior out . I then went to bestbuy and bought 15ft Sheilded Twisted RCA cables for Car audio for 30 bucks. I then ran the RCA cables from the highlow converter to the rear trunk where the old amp use to be... Some pics Below

Whats next.....????

1. Mount and Install the Aftermarket amp (This new amp works with 2ohm and 4ohm so the stock speakers will work for now until im ready to upgrade). Hook up the RCA cables i ran to the trunk.

2. Do a little more research and find out how to tap into the speaker wires from the old amp output connection.

3. Figure out how to powerup and powerdown the Amp when the car is off and on.

4. Try out my new sound system... I have already try out the speakers with the current comand system by directly connecting them, and they all work

5. The navi disk is old and needs to be updated, also for some reason the compass is off and when im driving it does not update my location instantly... only every 3 mins or so...Just need to look at that once the sound works
Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
5. Is a missing speedsignal. That is why it dont follow your moves in realtime.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
As you can see in my original guide that inspired OverDrive to make this retrofit is that this is more plug n play than you think depending on what you have installed from the beginning: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ntg-2-5-a.html
sorry but this is the part where i thought it wasn't very plug-n-play like

http://www.mbsca.com/images/guide/guide18.jpg

and then all the extra stuff that needs to be done to get the new navi to show up on the cluster
Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM

Volvo
Haha, Ya its not very plug in play.......and the way my car is setup (bose system) its the worst of the worst... (others with out the BOSE system, is way easier) but im already this far into it.... still havn't broken the 1000.00 mark yet (not even the 900.00)... and im well over the hardest parts..... The only issues that stand in the way is getting power to the amp, and splicing into the speaker wires in the back..... I will then have sound