C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Servicing/Rebulding their SC

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 '02
Servicing/Rebulding their SC

I found something interesting and wanted to see if anyone has "rebuilt" their SC which includes changing the oil part no. A000 989 62 01. and also replacing the bearings and gaskets etc... Here is a pictures of the OEM oils.
Attached Thumbnails Servicing/Rebulding their SC-b43998552-ac-7484xf5x0600x0450-m.jpg  

Last edited by ML500K; 12-13-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 AM

C32 '02
Originally Posted by ML500K
I found something interesting and wanted to see if anyone has "rebuilt" their SC which includes changing the oil part no. A000 989 62 01. and also replacing the bearings and gaskets etc... Here is a pictures of the OEM oils.
Anywayz I'm gonna do the overhaul real soon. I'll see if I can take some pics during the process. keep you all posted.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Wow. I have always thought that this was nearly impossible for mere mortals to accomplish. Good luck to you during this endeavor.

Please do keep us updated with photos.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i believe people have already done it on the srt6 forum. i think it around 2k.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...r-upgrade.html
Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
long read and no results ;(
Old 12-14-2009, 10:41 AM

C32 '02
wow, impressive work! The full SC rebuild will cost about 400 tops, I'll double check the prices...
Old 12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wow, impressive work! The full SC rebuild will cost about 400 tops, I'll double check the prices...
if its only $400...then its a pretty smoking deal.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Questions is: Why?

Is the S/C shot? Why not just buy one off of ebay? (I got one, re-built, for $300)
Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 PM

C32 '02
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Questions is: Why?

Is the S/C shot? Why not just buy one off of ebay? (I got one, re-built, for $300)
300 for a rebuilt SC? wow, thats a deal!
Peace of mind I guess heh. The SC is working fine now, i think changing new oils and bearings will close the tolerance to new and the guy said the SC will def run smoother. I used to have a C200K with the eaton SC, and i can tell you that our IHI SC is a much better unit. I had that eaton unit rebuilt as well with about the same mileage. At that time, the SC was quite loud, due to worn out bearings. and man does the oil smell like !@#$%...
Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 AM

C32 '02
I'm in for a shocker!

First of all I want to clear something up, the full rebuild costs about 800 dollars. Oil, bearings & gaskets. Bearings according to him are custom made and of a higher quality that stock (he said it is very difficult if not impossible to source those bearings)

The guy suggested that I didn't need a full rebuild and the bearings felt like they still turned pretty smoothly. So I just went for the SC oil change. The procedure is very easy and can be DIYed by anyone handy with tools. You probably need some sort of suction device to suck the SC oil out.

Now what I was shocked was that only about 30CC of oil got sucked out. Had I not thought about changing the oil, the SC was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode imo. The cost of the oil is fairly cheap, just one bottle is enough. Cost about 100 dollars to get it done. PN for the oil is on my first post and yes its a real MB number; called a few local parts vendor to verify it before i went to change it.

So my recommendation to you all is to have it checked/changed ASAP, your SC might be running "dry" without any lubrication. Make sure you get the oils before unplugging the screw.

So here's the procedure:

1) take off the secondary air pump plumbing
2) take of the small pulley next to the SC ( if you still have one )
3) On the front of the SC and on the left side is a small hole with a screw,
you need to unscrew that , You should put some rags below it cause the oils might flow out and it really stinks. But in my case nothing...

4) use a oil suction device, put it through the hole and start sucking away.
1 bottle of oil is like 120CC, not very much.
5) The guy attached a long tube to the bottle and put it through the hole and started squeezing it out. It did take a while to squeeze all of the oil in. about 10 mins.
5) put the screw back on, ,install the pulley and plumbing and your ready to rockin roll.

First pic is sucking it out & Second pic s squeezing some fresh juice into the SC.

I do plan on changing the oil really soon again as mine was really dry to begin with and cause the oil probably has never been changed ever. Sort of like a "flush". The guy recommended that the SC oil be changed every 40K KM. I think every 30K Miles is good enough.

Conclusion:
After this procedure, I can say that the SC runs quite smoothly, considering it now has oil in it And it does spin up a little faster. The way i can distinguish this is by cruising on 4th gear at about 60km/h (37mph) then pushing the throttle deep enough but without letting the gears kick down. I can hear the SC engaging. Before, the sound after the engagement you can hear the the SC is spinning slower as compare to now, it spinning a bit faster. I have a code3 style intake so its easy to hear the pitch difference of the SC whine.

So fellas there you have it, go get the SC oil changed/added and might get a few lost ponies on the way, and a peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails Servicing/Rebulding their SC-.jpg   Servicing/Rebulding their SC-2.jpg  

Last edited by ML500K; 12-15-2009 at 09:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
purplecat001 (10-20-2016)
Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Wow. I have always thought that this was nearly impossible for mere mortals to accomplish. Good luck to you during this endeavor.

Please do keep us updated with photos.
+1
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
First of all I want to clear something up, the full rebuild costs about 800 dollars. Oil, bearings & gaskets. Bearings according to him are custom made and of a higher quality that stock (he said it is very difficult if not impossible to source those bearings)

The guy suggested that I didn't need a full rebuild and the bearings felt like they still turned pretty smoothly. So I just went for the SC oil change. The procedure is very easy and can be DIYed by anyone handy with tools. You probably need some sort of suction device to suck the SC oil out.

Now what I was shocked was that only about 30CC of oil got sucked out. Had I not thought about changing the oil, the SC was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode imo. The cost of the oil is fairly cheap, just one bottle is enough. Cost about 100 dollars to get it done. PN for the oil is on my first post and yes its a real MB number; called a few local parts vendor to verify it before i went to change it.

So my recommendation to you all is to have it checked/changed ASAP, your SC might be running "dry" without any lubrication. Make sure you get the oils before unplugging the screw.

So here's the procedure:

1) take off the secondary air pump plumbing
2) take of the small pulley next to the SC ( if you still have one )
3) On the front of the SC and on the left side is a small hole with a screw,
you need to unscrew that , You should put some rags below it cause the oils might flow out and it really stinks. But in my case nothing...

4) use a oil suction device, put it through the hole and start sucking away.
1 bottle of oil is like 120CC, not very much.
5) The guy attached a long tube to the bottle and put it through the hole and started squeezing it out. It did take a while to squeeze all of the oil in. about 10 mins.
5) put the screw back on, ,install the pulley and plumbing and your ready to rockin roll.

First pic is sucking it out & Second pic s squeezing some fresh juice into the SC.

I do plan on changing the oil really soon again as mine was really dry to begin with and cause the oil probably has never been changed ever. Sort of like a "flush". The guy recommended that the SC oil be changed every 40K KM. I think every 30K Miles is good enough.

Conclusion:
After this procedure, I can say that the SC runs quite smoothly, considering it now has oil in it And it does spin up a little faster. The way i can distinguish this is by cruising on 4th gear at about 60km/h (37mph) then pushing the throttle deep enough but without letting the gears kick down. I can hear the SC engaging. Before, the sound after the engagement you can hear the the SC is spinning slower as compare to now, it spinning a bit faster. I have a code3 style intake so its easy to hear the pitch difference of the SC whine.

So fellas there you have it, go get the SC oil changed/added and might get a few lost ponies on the way, and a peace of mind.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
I will definetly look into doing this given that i dont think it has ever been done in my car im getting close to 110K and I stoped going to the stealership at 60k miles since its a system that requires lubrication and spins at a pretty fast rate its only normal that it would have some kind of consumption and perhaps the stealership wont tell us that so we can just replace the whole sc when its shot due to lack of lubrication. keep us posted.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:53 PM

Marsaydees
replacing sc oil every 30k miles seems excessive to me
Old 12-15-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Great thread! Did you add all five bottles of lubricant from your first picture or was only one of those bottles a lubricant? What is the maximum of lubricant that the sc can take in and how did you know to add enough not to overflow it with oil(given that there is a chance you might not have sucked out all of the old oil)? Sorry for the questions, and thank you for discovering this for us.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM

C32 '02
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
replacing sc oil every 30k miles seems excessive to me
Yeah i was thinking the same thing, but considering its so cheap to replace. I'm gonna do it every 30K Km along with tranny fluids changes.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 PM

C32 '02
Originally Posted by alkrstev
Great thread! Did you add all five bottles of lubricant from your first picture or was only one of those bottles a lubricant? What is the maximum of lubricant that the sc can take in and how did you know to add enough not to overflow it with oil(given that there is a chance you might not have sucked out all of the old oil)? Sorry for the questions, and thank you for discovering this for us.
Thanks! From what I saw, he tried to suck everything out until nothing comes out. May sure your car is level. I'm in contact with another guy who is also specializing in doing this. He claims to be a Ex-MB mechanic. He recommends adding two bottles after sucking everything out. So there is a disparity here. I will try and find out more info and keep you all posted.

I just called the other guy and he said to fill up all the way until oil starts flowing out of the hole. Looks like i don't have enough oil then and makes me wonder why he only added one bottle. hopefully its not because he's expecting me to do a full rebuild, now that would not be cool. Now that i know the procedure, i'm going back to my regular mechanic and have them do it. I think its always better have someone you trust fix your car.

Last edited by ML500K; 12-16-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
How many miles does your C32 have on it?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 PM

C32 '02
Originally Posted by gt4awd
How many miles does your C32 have on it?
about 75K Miles, which is not much at all imo.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Nearing 95k, and after reading this I'm a little worried... It looks very easy to change the oil though...
Old 12-16-2009, 03:31 AM

C32 '02
Getting it done right

Here is an update DIY instructions: And I replaced the oil again!

Tools & Mats needed:
-E10 & E12
-largest syringe you can find , 100CC if possible
-12 inch r/c car fuel tubing or similar that can be attached to the tip of the syringe
- 1 bottle of A000 989 62 01 Supercharger Oil ( ONE bottle is all we need! ) Cost of oil is 60 dollars
- Some pipe thread white stuff, not sure what that is called ( see pics)

1) Use E10 to take off the secondary air pump plumbing brackets

2) Use E12 to take off the small pulley next to the SC ( if you still have one )

3) Use E10 to turn the belt tensioner to take off the belt

4) On the front of the SC and on the left side is a small hole with a screw,
you need to unscrew that , You should put some rags below it cause the oils might flow out and it really stinks.

5) Use a syringe to suck up the oil, this way you know how much was still in your SC to begin with. You will have to suck a few times to get all of it out.

6) Purge all oil from the syringe and tubing

7) Pour the new oil directly into the syringe ( as shown in the video ) and pump it in slowly. Repeat until the whole bottle is in. You might want an extra pair of hands to help you hold the syringe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olKmcCVjAb8

8) Thread the sc plug with white piping film

9) Screw the plug back into the SC until its tight. The plug should be a bit lower than flush to the sc

10) reinstall piping, brackets and make sure your belt is all lined up

11) start engine and check for to see if everything is in order.

Note: As you can see in the last pic the oil which is being sucks out, it was still quite dirty. I had this procedure done just yesterday. But now i'm sure its nice and clean. so depending on your situation, you might need to flush or not. In my case there was almost no oil to begin with, hence "flushing" it was a good idea imo. ymmv.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails Servicing/Rebulding their SC-oil_1.jpg   Servicing/Rebulding their SC-oil_2.jpg   Servicing/Rebulding their SC-oil_3.jpg   Servicing/Rebulding their SC-1.jpg   Servicing/Rebulding their SC-sc_front2.jpg  

Servicing/Rebulding their SC-sc_oil_remove.jpg  

Last edited by ML500K; 12-16-2009 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:34 AM

C32 '02
sc plug with white piping thread film. Two rounds around the screw at most.
Attached Thumbnails Servicing/Rebulding their SC-sc_plug.jpg  

Last edited by ML500K; 12-16-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Here is an update DIY instructions: And I replaced the oil again!

Tools & Mats needed:
-E10 & E12
-largest syringe you can find , 100CC if possible
-12 inch r/c car fuel tubing or similar that can be attached to the tip of the syringe
- 1 bottle of A000 989 62 01 Supercharger Oil ( ONE bottle is all we need! ) Cost of oil is 60 dollars
- Some pipe thread white stuff, not sure what that is called ( see pics)

1) Use E10 to take off the secondary air pump plumbing brackets

2) Use E12 to take off the small pulley next to the SC ( if you still have one )

3) Use E10 to turn the belt tensioner to take off the belt

4) On the front of the SC and on the left side is a small hole with a screw,
you need to unscrew that , You should put some rags below it cause the oils might flow out and it really stinks.

5) Use a syringe to suck up the oil, this way you know how much was still in your SC to begin with. You will have to suck a few times to get all of it out.

6) Purge all oil from the syringe and tubing

7) Pour the new oil directly into the syringe ( as shown in the video ) and pump it in slowly. Repeat until the whole bottle is in. You might want an extra pair of hands to help you hold the syringe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olKmcCVjAb8

8) Thread the sc plug with white piping film

9) Screw the plug back into the SC until its tight. The plug should be a bit lower than flush to the sc

10) reinstall piping, brackets and make sure your belt is all lined up

11) start engine and check for to see if everything is in order.

Note: As you can see in the last pic the oil which is being sucks out, it was still quite dirty. I had this procedure done just yesterday. But now i'm sure its nice and clean. so depending on your situation, you might need to flush or not. In my case there was almost no oil to begin with, hence "flushing" it was a good idea imo. ymmv.

Cheers,

Getting the feeling this is bad news Now everyone is going to want to change their SC fluid. I dont know if thats a good or bad thing.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 AM

C32 '02
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Getting the feeling this is bad news Now everyone is going to want to change their SC fluid. I dont know if thats a good or bad thing.
I really think this can be a DIY job so the cost is pretty cheap. I'm sure glad I did it, one less thing to worry about...Well now we know how well the IHI SC is built...

If there is any consolation, I ran without much oil for God knows how long and looks/sounds like everything is fine after the change. Higher mileage cars I would def get it checked out soon.

Last edited by ML500K; 12-16-2009 at 09:48 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Servicing/Rebulding their SC