C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Power steering went out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Power steering went out?

I tried to get out of a snowy spot yesterday, so i cut off the ESP to have more throttle control. eventually, after spinning tires for a minute or two, I got out of the spot, but then noticed the power steering went out. i checked the fluid level and it was fine. there are no errors on the cluster display.

any ideas on what the issue could be?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...a panty dropper...
Originally Posted by Prodigy1120
I tried to get out of a snowy spot yesterday, so i cut off the ESP to have more throttle control. eventually, after spinning tires for a minute or two, I got out of the spot, but then noticed the power steering went out. i checked the fluid level and it was fine. there are no errors on the cluster display.

any ideas on what the issue could be?
The MB PS pump is weak and most likely malfunctioned because mine had the same issue. The pump actually sent metal shavings down into the rack and pinion causing the PS to go out which made me pay $1600 in repair to get my PS back. One PS pump and rack and pinion later it was like new. Good luck on getting it fixed. Take it to a local shop before the stealership unless its still under warranty. This seems to be a more common problem with all Mercedes because of the extended steering radius with the front wheels. GL
Old 12-24-2009, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
did the car handle better with the power steering out?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
If your pump has failed, and you will be doing the removal/installation, I can provide you with a DIY thread I wrote up...
Old 12-24-2009, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by BigBodyBenzC240
The MB PS pump is weak and most likely malfunctioned because mine had the same issue. The pump actually sent metal shavings down into the rack and pinion causing the PS to go out which made me pay $1600 in repair to get my PS back. One PS pump and rack and pinion later it was like new. Good luck on getting it fixed. Take it to a local shop before the stealership unless its still under warranty. This seems to be a more common problem with all Mercedes because of the extended steering radius with the front wheels. GL
Thanks for the advice. Unfortuanately i don't think the car is under any warranty. I purchased it earlier this year from a private seller.

Originally Posted by moosejaw
did the car handle better with the power steering out?
Not really, but i get a good workout trying to get in and out of parking spots

Originally Posted by gt4awd
If your pump has failed, and you will be doing the removal/installation, I can provide you with a DIY thread I wrote up...
This is my only source of transportation over the winter, so a DIY may be something i'll have to hold out on until spring, when I can ride the bike again