C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Seat controller fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
This is how you continue to stay in this forum with your car happily while some others have to leave cause' they don't know how to and don't want to learn or get their hands a bit dirty.
Sometimes, people just don't think it simple. They always make things complicated!

Good share!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by pullejo
Yep, you got it. In our cars...the seat controller modules pretty much always fail (well...their "memory" fails and they forget to turn off after 45 seconds of inactivity). What results is a constant draw on your battery. For me - because I travel a lot and my car will sit for over a week at a time at the airport, etc. - this resulted in a dead battery. Twice. And finally killed the battery.

My passenger side went about three months ago - and then my driver's side just went a week and a half ago. They're $700 each.

I just completed this mod and it works PERFECTLY. The only drawback is you can't move your seats when the car is off.

Memory on the seat controllers is still in tact.

Took 15 minutes, $2.33 for the line splices from Radio Shack...saved me $1400 and I can turn the car on whenever I need to move the seats. :-)

AWESOME!
Yup, MB of Westmont proposed to relieve me of $1,550 to replace both of mine after my battery died. Both of them were drawing and draining the battery.

FYI, an alternative is to buy a remanufactured unit from Programa. Got mine for $235 after core refund. My local shop put it in for 35 bucks. So that saved about $500 off the dealer cost. You, of course, saved a lot more than that but I wasn't thrilled about cutting and splicing the car's wiring harness. Call me a wimp but just didn't want to do it

Drawback to this is they only make the driver's side. The passenger side is only available new and costs over $400 even at the lowest end. So that one's still unplugged. I continue to look for a remanufactured passenger side or a used one from a very late W203 (which supposedly doesn't have the power drain issue).
Old 01-29-2010, 04:39 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Has anyone popped the cover of the "remanufactured" boxes to see what they actually fix? there should be plenty of evidence left of soldering etc if they are replacing parts. Someone will finally open one and realize that its probably something as simple as soldering a jumper or replacing one SMT part.

BTW both mine died. The passenger one was replaced with a newer A211 part and my drivers side is currently unplugged....ugh.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 PM

C32 AMG
Seat Modules Draining the battery

According to MB techs, this is a common problem for the W203. Any ideas on how to fix this issue without going through Mercedes' solution of replacing the modules for $1200 per side?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
Look down about 10 threads. There is one already there with pictures and everything.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Panzerknacker
Look down about 10 threads. There is one already there with pictures and everything.
Thanks. now im hoping they shop hasn't already ordered the modules...
Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
PM set buddy!! check check check!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by pullejo
Yep, you got it. In our cars...the seat controller modules pretty much always fail (well...their "memory" fails and they forget to turn off after 45 seconds of inactivity). What results is a constant draw on your battery. For me - because I travel a lot and my car will sit for over a week at a time at the airport, etc. - this resulted in a dead battery. Twice. And finally killed the battery.

My passenger side went about three months ago - and then my driver's side just went a week and a half ago. They're $700 each.

I just completed this mod and it works PERFECTLY. The only drawback is you can't move your seats when the car is off.

Memory on the seat controllers is still in tact.

Took 15 minutes, $2.33 for the line splices from Radio Shack...saved me $1400 and I can turn the car on whenever I need to move the seats. :-)

AWESOME!
Awesome indeed!

I just did this fix. I had the splice and tape already, so the fix cost me nothing and I did it in about 5 minutes.

Very easy! Very useful information!

Two thumbs up.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 PM

2001 C32 AMG
Bump!

My seats are giving me crazy battery drain..

Bought new alternator (brand new grr not cheap here in oz!) as that was busted then realised I had bad battery drain after a brand new battery was dead in a week.

I worked out I also had another issue of a badly scratched Nav CD still spinning after the car was shut off.

I'm SO not spending more money on seat modules.. so far I have them both unplugged.

I tried this fix to the drivers side but it does not work, what could I be doing wrong?

I wired the wires up in original state and the seat moves so I have not blown a fuse.

Any ideas?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 PM

2001 C32 AMG
So I left my car overnight and woke up to a full drained battery again. Remember this a 1 week old brand new battery..

Car was at 11.8V now at 7V roughly.

Both dirver & passenger seat modules have been unplugged for a few days.

The Nav CD has been removed due to spinning when it was turned off (was scratched)

What else can it be??
Old 03-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Try this for the seat control units, if you're a bit electrically/mechanically inclined - https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post3068555

Wish I had a better answer for what might be draining the battery, but I can't come up with anything. Any aftermarket stereo installed?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 AM

2001 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by evilsaint
Try this for the seat control units, if you're a bit electrically/mechanically inclined - https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post3068555

Wish I had a better answer for what might be draining the battery, but I can't come up with anything. Any aftermarket stereo installed?
Thanks, will give it a look.

I know by removing the scratched nav cd I've taken a lot of current down as the cd kept spinning once the car was off as it was scratched. I'm still quite over a healthy draw though and I think I have found the culprit. The comand fan still is on over 5minutes after I take the keys out, never used to notice this. I know it's a fairly common problem and from what I can read the only solution is a new comand unit (no way! lol) or a bypass switch.. both seem quite tedious for something that really should be quite simple.. bummer.