Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
My GMR pics and video

Hey guys,

Its kind of a repost but i know some of you guys don't check the w203 forum. So i thought i'd share my GMR cruise.

here some quick pics. I took with my e46 friend and my w203. Videos to come later.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 02-20-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here a vid, my e46 is the chase car. I"m driving up hill on GMR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gijRB5WULI

Second part of the down Hill. My friend calmed down a bit. I made the mistake of driving his line instead of my own. Kinda messed me up a bit. But obviously he is a crazier/ better driver then me. Anyways he lucked out...after all those near misses, no damage to his car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SurzsNjgGwY

Last edited by TemjinX2; 02-20-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Nice, just gotta be careful
Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
That is a helluva road, nice vids!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:33 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
nice vid mike.

e46 does not understeer much unless you f-ed up. the one time I f-ed up it ended up totaled.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah the 50/50 weight distribution and lighter weight helps. I told him, that the turns are deceptively short on the downhill. But yeah he was trying to tackle those turns at 60-70 when instead it should be closer to 45-55.

My friend brakes really late and then turns. I brake before and throttle once i get to the apex. I did that more on the uphill.

I made the mistake of following his lines and driving style on the down hill, so it was messing me up.

My friend did the same mistake up on the uphill, you can see he almost lost it few times on the uphill because he was following my driving style..lol.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Nice looking road - which we had 'em like that around here. Thanks for sharing the vids. Your S/C whine is prominent - C3P intake? Also, what is the sound in your car through most of the vid that sounds like slowly shaking a paint can? Change in the center bin?

BTW - "crazier," definitely, but "better" driver than you... I'd say no. No disrespect to your friend, but to go off on the shoulder on the wrong side of the road is way out of control. To follow it up a couple turns later and go way off on the right side suggests limited comprehension/experience with how to drive at or near the limit, and/or not enough seat time in that particular vehicle.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, and of course JMHO, but pushing that hard on a road with blind turns, opposing traffic, cyclists, etc. is poor judgement and just asking for trouble. Maybe take it at 7/10ths instead of 11/10ths...

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 02-20-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah i see your point. Thankfully, that road is usually only droven by enthusiasts since that road doesn't lead to any camp sites or picnic areas.

The police patrol the other roads in the area where usually there campers to keep people from speeding.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 PM

corolla
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Nice looking road - which we had 'em like that around here. Thanks for sharing the vids. Your S/C whine is prominent - C3P intake? Also, what is the sound in your car through most of the vid that sounds like slowly shaking a paint can? Change in the center bin?

BTW - "crazier," definitely, but "better" driver than you... I'd say no. No disrespect to your friend, but to go off on the shoulder on the wrong side of the road is way out of control. To follow it up a couple turns later and go way off on the right side suggests limited comprehension/experience with how to drive at or near the limit, and/or not enough seat time in that particular vehicle.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, and of course JMHO, but pushing that hard on a road with blind turns, opposing traffic, cyclists, etc. is poor judgement and just asking for trouble. Maybe take it at 7/10ths instead of 11/10ths...
I'm pretty responsible, and stay on my side of the road when I drive, when I can...

I usually brake late and hard, because I could, if you the watched other videos (and I stay on my side of the road) and the car is capable of it, or was. The problem with this last run was that I barely put on new pads and rotors, and hadn't break them in or bedded them properly. Yes, that was dumb on my part, because the way my car brake before and on this run was totally different so it took me by surprise and I'm very, VERY fortunate that I didn't crash on that first two down hill turns. But I adjusted and . On the uphill, I was too busy being a camera man in the beginning

BTW DTM, Mike didn't exactly stay on the road the whole time either and he has no problems with his car, but thanks for pointing out my flaws.

Just in case you guys are wondering, the rotors are just Brembo blanks and pads are Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Z rated. A lot of people say the pads perform well, but I'm having doubts.

Hope to see some of you out there next time, it's a fun road.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did do some lane crossing when i can see pretty signicantly a head of the road to see if there is opposing traffic. I never lane cross around a blind corner. Those who have been on that road know what i'm talking about.

Given its a road only driven by enthusiasts and it was during the middle of the work day. The risk was very minimal.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:00 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
just saw the first vid mike...why the hell does your tail light blink like that? lol
Old 02-20-2010, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Love the vids ! what time frame is this during the day?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by korupt
BTW DTM, Mike didn't exactly stay on the road the whole time either and he has no problems with his car, but thanks for pointing out my flaws.
korupt, I think you're taking my post the wrong way.

You were fortunate to "catch" your car through those few turns and avoid damage (the right-hander where you went completely left of center and onto the left shoulder, and the left-hander where you went completely off-road and Temjin followed), but that was certainly skill and reflexes on your part.

You were really fortunate that there didn't happen to be another car (or worse, cyclist) coming the other way (as seen in other parts of the videos) when you over-drove some of those corners and lost control - which has nothing to do with skill, and is just dumb luck that it thankfully wasn't the case.

Anyway, to each his own - wish you many miles of enthusiastic and trouble-free driving; be safe out there.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FrankW
just saw the first vid mike...why the hell does your tail light blink like that? lol
the contacts on the tail light plate where the bulbs go in has some corrosion. So the car thinks my tail lights out. Took out the plate and cleaned all the contacts, seem to fix the problem.

If it continues, i'll probably just directly connect the led harness to the head light harness.

In my personal opinion the contact plate is kinda of a dumb idea. They should just went with the traditional harness and twist.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 02-20-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1qikctr
Love the vids ! what time frame is this during the day?
early afternoon on friday. Basically there was no one on the road. It was really nice. Its lot more busier on a saturday.

We passed a white e92 m3 on the way down. Its the white blob we passed on the 3rd video..lol.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 PM

corolla
korupt, I think you're taking my post the wrong way.

You were fortunate to "catch" your car through those few turns and avoid damage (the right-hander where you went completely left of center and onto the left shoulder, and the left-hander where you went completely off-road and Temjin followed), but that was certainly skill and reflexes on your part.

You were really fortunate that there didn't happen to be another car (or worse, cyclist) coming the other way (as seen in other parts of the videos) when you over-drove some of those corners and lost control - which has nothing to do with skill, and is just dumb luck that it thankfully wasn't the case.

Anyway, to each his own - wish you many miles of enthusiastic and trouble-free driving; be safe out there.
You must have missed the part where I mentioned that those two turns were the first turns where I EXPECTED my brakes to work as they used to, but didn't. Like I said, that's not what I normally do, and it was a result of unanticipated brakes performance failure, and very glad that no one was hurt and nothing damaged. Then, I adjusted. When my car was no longer in the video screen, I slowed down because there was no point for me to go faster.

I actually pulled over after those two corners and the anti squeal on the brakes were smoking, that's how new the brakes were. Yes, I'm dumb on that part, and never will I do something this stupid again, that is not getting to know new parts before pushing them.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DTM makes some valid points, but anyways i just wanted everyone to enjoy the vids, not to turn into a flame fest. Take the vids for whats its worth.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:02 PM

corolla
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
DTM makes some valid points, but anyways i just wanted everyone to enjoy the vids, not to turn into a flame fest. Take the vids for whats its worth.
Yeah, his points would have been valid if the only vid he watched was the "under steer" vid with no explanation. In the longer down hill vid, you can see I started braking half a mile out before a turn.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, his points would have been valid if the only vid he watched was the "under steer" vid with no explanation. In the longer down hill vid, you can see I started braking half a mile out before a turn.
to be honest, even if your brakes worked like you said they did before. The same thing would've happened in that video. You were just going way too fast. Like you said you can't over come physics.

I already cautioned you that those turns are deceptively short and what happened to other people that didn't take that caution in mind.

You experienced first hand what i was talking about. Thankfully, you recovered better then the others.

Just take the comments in stride, and let it go like DTM is.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 PM

corolla
Dude, you were right behind me going at the same speed. Besides, I didn't see a point of posting that vid anyways, but whatever. Those turns weren't the ones that most people screw up on anyways, but much later.

When you step on you brakes and your car keeps going, that's what you'll see, it's not understeer.

What pisses me off is that he criticized me on TWO freaking turns, and even after I gave my explanation still goes on. I don't know if he watched the other two vids, and make any comments on the time you spent on the other side of the road.

At any rate, I'm done with this.

Last edited by korupt; 02-20-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Agreed; and again, nice road and thanks for sharing the vids, TemjinX2.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
I'm pretty responsible...but thanks for pointing out my flaws.
Hold up. No one here is pointing out your “flaws.”

Rather, they’re merely questioning your woeful lack of judgment and callous disregard for others’ well being on a public highway. Not belittling anyone, as I went cattywampus in plenty of machines during my misspent youth. Only dumb luck saved me from taking out innocent victims. Prompted a fair to middling aptitude of properly preparing ‘em, too.

Certainly a bright BMW pilot like you is aware of the potential legal and financial ramifications from negligently causing damage to another’s property or contributing to their injury/death. If you end up buying the farm, so be it. Operating a vehicle haphazardly, such as you’ve readily demonstrated doing on a public highway, can far exceed even the most generous PL coverage when the fit hits the shan. Running headlong off the road from “unanticipated brakes performance failure” is hardly a legitimate defense, particularly when a friend felt compelled to share your antics with the world.

That’s why leaving an appropriate margin from the limit constitutes responsible and appropriate motoring on public highways.

GMR with the guys..

Hardly a Debbie Downer, c32AMG-DTM. A well-intentioned voice of reason is the way it reads.

Was recently thinking of your NJMP HPDE participation while signing up for yet another OTR Willow Springs track day. Damned if they’re not the most fulfilling and rewarding driving legitimate performance aficionados can enjoy. Save for a scant few, local members have invariably chosen to forego the safe and legal thrills they provide.

Next time you’re out this way, know you’ve an open invitation to catch up - in the LH seat - to compare our respective setups.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok i deleted the vid, since its been causing too much controversy. I apologize for posting it, my original intent was not to start a flame war.

There has been enough of that the last few days in that gay m5 thread.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
A few comments after viewing those videos.

1) Is that high pitched "whine" the sound of the C32 engine's supercharger? Never knew it sounded like that. Sounds nothing like what the C55 sounds like.

2) Regardless of how empty the roads are, I can't help but think that doing this type of thing on a public road is a very bad idea. There were cyclists, there were on-coming cars, and if you screw up, you could kill somebody. With no run off areas and such a narrow road, damaging your car is also a huge risk. I'm all for having a spirited drive on a twisty road, but if you have to cross the yellow line onto the opposing traffic's lane or start going off into the shoulder, you're going TOO FAST.

3) Take your car to a track (road course) if you really want to enjoy your car to the fullest.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
A few comments after viewing those videos.

1) Is that high pitched "whine" the sound of the C32 engine's supercharger? Never knew it sounded like that. Sounds nothing like what the C55 sounds like.

2) Regardless of how empty the roads are, I can't help but think that doing this type of thing on a public road is a very bad idea. There were cyclists, there were on-coming cars, and if you screw up, you could kill somebody. With no run off areas and such a narrow road, damaging your car is also a huge risk. I'm all for having a spirited drive on a twisty road, but if you have to cross the yellow line onto the opposing traffic's lane or start going off into the shoulder, you're going TOO FAST.

3) Take your car to a track (road course) if you really want to enjoy your car to the fullest.

Yes its the code3 intake with the weather stripping removed for that day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My GMR pics and video