"12.5" second s2000 vs c55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by dlwiser
Thats exactly what i mean when I say the manufacturers are sending their product to two completely different consumer markets. "import tuner" cars are aimed for younger budgeted people where your high end MB, Audi, etc. cars are geared for the older or established crowd. There can be an argument had for quality of aftermarket parts made but that could go on forever. I would say there is a ratio of about 100:1 for "import tuner" guys to MB modders. Thats the reason, IMO, for the significant price difference. They can afford to drop the price no matter the quality bc they will make it up in quantity of sales. Like you said, it took me forever to find someone to do head work on my C32, then i had to wait forever to get a throttle body to match. My s2k was done from start to finish in a week (minus tuning). Even after all that I still have no TQ, lol haha
you have head work done on the C32? what kinds of gains did you pick up with that? any other motor or supercharger work? or just the usual pulley, tune, headers, and intake?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by jturkel
you have head work done on the C32? what kinds of gains did you pick up with that? any other motor or supercharger work? or just the usual pulley, tune, headers, and intake?
i think he meant, if he wanted to find someone to find do headwork on the c32 it would be diffcult to locate someone to do the work and he would have to wait forever. Just like how we have to wait forever for our c32 parts to be fabricated or shipped versus other makes where it gets shipped in a day or two.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
hahaha nice kill!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Actually the transmission in the GTR is made by borg warner which is a american company. So the part that fails in the japanese nissan is the american part...

The solid feel in the mercedes just the weight of the car. In the past japanese manufacturers preferred a lighter weight and low displacement, where the germans and domestics tended to have more weight and high displacement.
If Borg Warner does indeed make the transmission, it's to Nissan design spec and Nissan accepted it. If the problem was BW, Nissan would have made them replace all the "bad" transmissions they made, but they didn't because it was made to spec.

On the solid feel part you are 100% wrong, sorry. Porsche 911s were under 3000 lbs. and felt like they were carved out of a single piece of steel. No, solid feel comes form a chassis that has a very high natural frequency. The ONLY way to attain this is by design, materials, and execution. Most people don't realize cars flex, they all do, it's to what degree that they flex that a solid feel comes from. I have actually been to classes about this and a lot goes into it.

Standing outside or sitting in a car, you can't see thickness of the steel, the grade or quality of the steel, how many welds are used to hold panels in place, where or if reinforcements are used, or the design.

In 1997 when Chevrolet came out with the C4 Corvette, it was a huge leap forward for them. One of the biggest things was how strong the chassis was. For a single frame rail side (from the front bumper to the back) they went from 14 pieces welded together to one piece of hydroformed tubing. The difference was in strength was huge. That strength carried over in solid feel. This is an example of not being able to see what makes a car solid or not.

Way back in the mid 80s Toyota took their Supra and decided to make a Targa top. The chassis was so weak when they cut the center section of roof out, the car sagged and nearly collapsed under it's own weight.

All manufactures buy other makes products and take them apart to try and learn what the other guys are doing and what they maybe have figured out that their own people haven't. The German cars have been known for their solid quality feel forever. My wife had a 2003 Passat that was very solid and very strong. There is SO much more than meets the eye on what makes a car solid it isn't even funny.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 AM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
GTR (POS in my opinion) BUT name me one MB that is faster than it around the nurburg ring? not one! Also you say the tranny suck-ED. It DID. but what about ALL the problems with the c32 and c55 tranny's? Ive had m c32 trans replaced twice already not to mention the mess of electronics that go bad on the inside. Every car has it fair share of problems that go with it.

To your voided warranty statement, take a enzo, or scuderia, or CCXR and put different wheels on them or even put them on a track under the driving of ANYONE besides a licensed race driver and guess what..... voided warranty.
I haven't read about any MB transmissions failing at 3k miles.

Um, the voided transmissions were NOT on track cars, just regular people driving on the street and using the features that came with the car. The transmissions let go after a few hard launches and a few thousand miles. Nissan says the feature was put in the car to get out of deep sand, not normal driving. Yeah I know next time I want to try the Baja 1000 I'll pick up a Nissan GTR . That's as weak as a kitten and anyone with a brain knows it. The bottom line is Nissan used it to get the performance figures they advertise, yet if you (the sucker who laid down $70k) use it, you are improperly using the car and have void the warranty. That's 100% BS.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 AM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
I'm kind of curious, with all these stone reliable 500-700 hp four cylinder Hondas out there, isn't there some unlimited racing series where they would just mop the deck with the poor fools with V8s and the like? Seems a little odd they don't take advantage of their vastly superior engines.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
Yes...but nothing major. Just a port and polish and had the head decked.

But as far as gains the car was just at 400hp when I bought it. It had all the renntech upgrades done to it. That mated with the head work, throttle body, peak and hold injectors, and custom ground cams, with a re-tune i got 450.8hp to the wheels on a dynojet w/correction factor. Worth the money? nah. BUT i did smash a SRT 300c today.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Phil C55
If Borg Warner does indeed make the transmission, it's to Nissan design spec and Nissan accepted it. If the problem was BW, Nissan would have made them replace all the "bad" transmissions they made, but they didn't because it was made to spec.

On the solid feel part you are 100% wrong, sorry. Porsche 911s were under 3000 lbs. and felt like they were carved out of a single piece of steel. No, solid feel comes form a chassis that has a very high natural frequency. The ONLY way to attain this is by design, materials, and execution. Most people don't realize cars flex, they all do, it's to what degree that they flex that a solid feel comes from. I have actually been to classes about this and a lot goes into it.

Standing outside or sitting in a car, you can't see thickness of the steel, the grade or quality of the steel, how many welds are used to hold panels in place, where or if reinforcements are used, or the design.

In 1997 when Chevrolet came out with the C4 Corvette, it was a huge leap forward for them. One of the biggest things was how strong the chassis was. For a single frame rail side (from the front bumper to the back) they went from 14 pieces welded together to one piece of hydroformed tubing. The difference was in strength was huge. That strength carried over in solid feel. This is an example of not being able to see what makes a car solid or not.

Way back in the mid 80s Toyota took their Supra and decided to make a Targa top. The chassis was so weak when they cut the center section of roof out, the car sagged and nearly collapsed under it's own weight.

All manufactures buy other makes products and take them apart to try and learn what the other guys are doing and what they maybe have figured out that their own people haven't. The German cars have been known for their solid quality feel forever. My wife had a 2003 Passat that was very solid and very strong. There is SO much more than meets the eye on what makes a car solid it isn't even funny.

I really doubt Nissan would hire one of the largest transmission manufacturers in the world, in order to say you know nothing about transmissions and to go with my design that your implying.

I agree Nissan should've just replaced the transmissions since the volume of gtr's are so low and the occurance of bad transmissions is relatively low, its not worth the bad press.

911's weigh 3075lbs, the boxster weights around 2943. The s2000 weights 2800lbs. You see the philsophical differences i stated before?

Modern cars, aren't the 1980 toyotas or hondas your thinking of. You forget that the large manufacturers like Honda and Toyota are much larger then mercedes or BMW. So they have more financial resources to put into R & D.

Even the Hyundai genesis coupe has a chassis rigidity 70% greater then a E46 M3 and that car starts at $22k.

Other then the drive train and styling, much components in modern cars come from third party suppliers, which are used by multiple brands. The differences between the brands are much smaller then they use to be.

You even see it in the J & D power associates ratings, that differences are becoming much smaller in the top 5.

You can have a preference for german cars, but the differences are much smaller then you think. You can even see the very close performance numbers in comparison tests between different car mags and online sources.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm kind of curious, with all these stone reliable 500-700 hp four cylinder Hondas out there, isn't there some unlimited racing series where they would just mop the deck with the poor fools with V8s and the like? Seems a little odd they don't take advantage of their vastly superior engines.
My buddy has had a 400hp supercharged civic for the last 3yrs on stock internals with no problems and its his daily driver.

There are series like that. Just do a search on a car forum where people do more racing.

I think there domestics vs imports, mustang vs world. There couple track events like the Redline series, and your normal autox stuff. Then separate track events at individual tracks like willow springs and such.

As stated before any car can be made fast, its tuning japanese and some domestics are much cheaper since there more after market part manufacturers and greater number of people doing it.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But as far as gains the car was just at 400hp when I bought it. It had all the renntech upgrades done to it. That mated with the head work, throttle body, peak and hold injectors, and custom ground cams, with a re-tune i got 450.8hp to the wheels on a dynojet w/correction factor. Worth the money? nah. BUT i did smash a SRT 300c today.
wait, your saying you hit 450whp with just headwork? or do you have pullies too? You have a dyno graph?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by moosejaw
S2k will bolt ons will get their *** handed to them by a c32 and c55. Turbo or supercharged S2ks are a different story. My neighbor has a comptech S2k and it puts down 360 to the wheels. Im pretty sure it will walk me.

Which car, the Benz or the Mazduh??
Old 03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG

450 to the wheels? damn. that would make you one of the fastest C32s

i'm sure the head/cam/tb work and injectors cost a pretty penny. are you on the stock exhaust manifolds or have you upgraded to headers? and i'm taking it you are running the renntech 178mm pulley? upgraded heat exchanger as well?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah i'm interested. I remember vladim said he only gained like 15whp with slr cams.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I use to know this guy with a C55 that raced a S2000

here are the results...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxZ_39eFlgQ
Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
[QUOTE=jturkel;3996386]450 to the wheels? damn. that would make you one of the fastest C32s

Certainly faster than Jakes,(or at least more HP) who still holds the fastest Dragtimes qtr mile!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hooleyboy

here are the results...

Your C55 was a monster RIP..
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/U][/I][/B]

Which car, the Benz or the Mazduh??
The benz of course
that S2k wont touch me
Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 AM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
You can have a preference for german cars, but the differences are much smaller then you think. You can even see the very close performance numbers in comparison tests between different car mags and online sources.
Yeah, but at the end of the day you are still left with a cheap Japanese car. I guess German cars cost more because they are still bitter about losing the war and they carry a grudge longer.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG

What is a correction factor?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Originally Posted by loudandheard
What is a correction factor?
SAE correction - accounts for atmospheric effects to standardize dyno readings (ambient temp and pressure.. etc)
Old 03-23-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, but at the end of the day you are still left with a cheap Japanese car. I guess German cars cost more because they are still bitter about losing the war and they carry a grudge longer.
I'm just saying with modern globalism, I wouldn't really make the distinction that its just a japanese car or german car.

The new camaro was designed by a korean guy, the previous gen mustang was designed by a vietnamese guy, the new kia koup, soul and hyundai genesis were designed by a german and the new acura ZDX was designed by a American.

The toyota camry passed the Ford F150 as the most american car using more american parts and labor.

The major car manufacturers are multi national now, so doesn't really make sense just to judge a car by the car brands national origin. But more on what the car has to offer.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 PM

C32 AMG
wait, your saying you hit 450whp with just headwork? or do you have pullies too? You have a dyno graph?

no, no, no! that would be nice though. lol.... When I bought the car from a member on here, it already had a pulley, cams (but cant verify or deny that), and a tune. All of which are from Renntech (that I can verify). I immediately had it dyno'd when i got it legal. It put down 390ish on a dynojet. I then had the head work, custom grind cams, throttle body, injectors, headers done and a re-tune. Thats when I hit the 450 mark. I do have the dyno sheet i'll load er up. Also My car hasn't seen any 1/4 mile b/c im scared the tranny wont hold up. If it goes it will be my 3rd one since my short ownership. Plan on getting the Renntech kit for it.

As for the fastest c32, there is a local here in VB that I have been getting help from on this build that has a HPS Roots blower that claims he makes more than me. But he says he's built.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy

here are the results...

The s2k is NOT a drag car though.... Now you put up a race that was clearly in favor of any high horsepower car. If you want to compare that that then take that same c55 and drag race it against this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8NwWBIzllc

Now that means your c55 is an inferior car to all chevy trucks.

Take that c55 and that s2k and send them down Touge. s2k wins.

Last edited by dlwiser; 03-23-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: bc
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no, no, no! that would be nice though. lol.... When I bought the car from a member on here, it already had a pulley, cams (but cant verify or deny that), and a tune. All of which are from Renntech (that I can verify). I immediately had it dyno'd when i got it legal. It put down 390ish on a dynojet. I then had the head work, custom grind cams, throttle body, injectors, headers done and a re-tune. Thats when I hit the 450 mark. I do have the dyno sheet i'll load er up. Also My car hasn't seen any 1/4 mile b/c im scared the tranny wont hold up. If it goes it will be my 3rd one since my short ownership. Plan on getting the Renntech kit for it.

As for the fastest c32, there is a local here in VB that I have been getting help from on this build that has a HPS Roots blower that claims he makes more than me. But he says he's built.
Please POST! If you hit 450whp in a c32, your my new hero..lol
Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The s2k is NOT a drag car though.... Now you put up a race that was clearly in favor of any high horsepower car. If you want to compare that that then take that same c55 and drag race it against this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8NwWBIzllc

Now that means your c55 is an inferior car to all chevy trucks.

Take that c55 and that s2k and send them down Touge. s2k wins.
yeah i understand your point, but now your comparing a 4dr luxury car to a 2dr roadster. Its a apples to oranges comparison, but i agree on a twisty course the s2k would win hands down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "12.5" second s2000 vs c55