"12.5" second s2000 vs c55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
"12.5" second s2000 vs c55

Somewhere along mexico a black s2k with aftermarket dual exhaust and some stickers on the window caught my attention. Now I know s2k's usually run low 14's and sometimes high 13's stock so I pull up to the guy and ask him how fast he's run in the quarter.

"12.5!"
I ask "supercharged?" to which he replies
"All motor, high compression pistons." He asks what I run and I tell him 13.1 and he scoffs
"In that!?"

We get rolling and we honk and take off in 2nd gear. Expected results; I walked him so hard that I had about 2 car lengths before the end of 2nd and i don't even remember how far I was in front before I shut it down in 3rd gear.

12.5 seconds my *** lol.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
that guy was full of it..! Funny how some guys install aftermarket mods like exhaust and headers and somehow gain 100 hp.. Theirs one in each persons life.. I argue with this guy everytime i see him.. he has an 08 Mustang GT, good looking car. He puts filter, intake and exhaust and some how says he can now take out z06 corvettes and how he will walk all over my c32.. poor guy..
Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
S2k will bolt ons will get their *** handed to them by a c32 and c55. Turbo or supercharged S2ks are a different story. My neighbor has a comptech S2k and it puts down 360 to the wheels. Im pretty sure it will walk me.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I thought those little hondas can put down 1000hp I thought I saw that somewhere, but if its only hitting 360 with a blower that a little hard to believe
Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
no way a bolt on s2k will hit 12.5. The engine is already max NA from the factory. Some of them even lose power when they swap out the factory bolt on like intake. The stock compression is already 11.1. He would get smoked in a straight unless he's turboed. The turboed guys are putting down 400-500whp.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
no way a bolt on s2k will hit 12.5. The engine is already max NA from the factory. Some of them even lose power when they swap out the factory bolt on like intake. The stock compression is already 11.1. He would get smoked in a straight unless he's turboed. The turboed guys are putting down 400-500whp.
He claims he has high compression pistons like 13:1. Riiiiight.

Man I can't wait until the track opens up and run with a pair of slicks to see how close to mid 12's I can get n/a.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLx02
He claims he has high compression pistons like 13:1. Riiiiight.

Man I can't wait until the track opens up and run with a pair of slicks to see how close to mid 12's I can get n/a.
lol did the car sound like a motorcycle? I think 13.1 is way too high for the street.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
lol did the car sound like a motorcycle? I think 13.1 is way too high for the street.
No it sounded just like a stock s2000 with exhaust and maybe an intake
Old 03-21-2010, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol...o well. At least you showed that ricer his place.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 AM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
The problem that most don't understand is power output vs. displacement. Like was mentioned, if you take the BS from the bolt on people - this piece is good for 20 bhp, this one is 15 bhp, oh and this one is 35 bhp pretty soon you supposedly have 500 hp..............problem is, it doesn't work that way. The S2k really is a large Honda motorcycle engine that is pretty far out there all ready for NA. Look at the hp per liter, if it were as big as our 5.5 it would have a lot of power. There is always a trade off in durability/reliabilty when an engine makes more power. Go to a forum that's for STi and read about mushed bearings and such once it gets pushed a bit. All these little rice rockets are very little more than ticking time bombs. It's not if they blow up, but when. Look at it this way, if the manufactures could make a stone reliable (read something they could give a warranty on) 2 liter 4 cylinder that made 500 hp they would.............but they can't. Then the arguement comes "I know a guy who did" yeah, and for how long?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
+1
Old 03-21-2010, 07:58 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Phil C55
The problem that most don't understand is power output vs. displacement. Like was mentioned, if you take the BS from the bolt on people - this piece is good for 20 bhp, this one is 15 bhp, oh and this one is 35 bhp pretty soon you supposedly have 500 hp..............problem is, it doesn't work that way. The S2k really is a large Honda motorcycle engine that is pretty far out there all ready for NA. Look at the hp per liter, if it were as big as our 5.5 it would have a lot of power. There is always a trade off in durability/reliabilty when an engine makes more power. Go to a forum that's for STi and read about mushed bearings and such once it gets pushed a bit. All these little rice rockets are very little more than ticking time bombs. It's not if they blow up, but when. Look at it this way, if the manufactures could make a stone reliable (read something they could give a warranty on) 2 liter 4 cylinder that made 500 hp they would.............but they can't. Then the arguement comes "I know a guy who did" yeah, and for how long?
With all due respect, you are wrong. Yea, i can give youre argument some sort of fact if we were talking about your typical civic and integra tuner. But if you have ever (which im sure you havne't) popped the top on a S2K motor you will find that everything is factory FORGED ( I know from experience). You wont find that in any C32 or C55 (which i also know from experience) Thats why you find people with quality 500-600hp builds on S2k's. If we're talking about morons that buy that $600 turbo kit off ebay then, again, you may be right. But the turbo and other bolt on stuff will fail LOOOOONG before the motor begins to go. I bought my S2k in 01 and before it has 3k miles on it I sent it off for a turbo kit. I expected nothing less than 500hp and i achieved that on a completely STOCK motor. Now Ive tweaked and tuned to get more power but the only thing I've replaced were the valves and springs (bc they started ticking). Added some race gas and i broke the 700hp mark. The weak part of the s2k is the rear end (they are trash) My s2k at 550hp on 93 is a more solid and reliable car than my c32 at 450hp on 93. Also, i dont see any factual evidence that reputes the fact that honda/toyota/nissan hands down the longest lasting cars on the road, not "ticking time bombs".

Also, when has honda ever moved in the game of high HP cars? If you look in their history of their sports cars they have all been based on handling. You can also get a greddy turbo kit installed via factory tech and still maintain a warranty. Just because they dont choose to slap a v6 or v8 in a s2k and make 5billion hp and completely ruin the base the car was built on doesnt mean they dont put just as much R&D into the car to have it perform at the level they want it to. MB makes a car that makes 600hp, why dont they put it in the c32 or 55? BC thats not what the car was built for. When you compare a MB sports car to a honda sports car you are comparing apples to oranges. Two different missions, two different targer groups, two different markets. Not to mention my wifes TL is 10x nicer than my AMG. Im off my soap box now.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 PM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
I don't like any Japanese car because they're cheap. They don't have a solid feel in the chassis, they just have a cheap tin can feel. At the end of the day I wouldn't own one as a gift. I'm sure all the service bays at the Japanese car dealers is for oil changes only because they never fail.......dream on. You forgot to mention that horrible piece of garbage Nissan GTR that was exploding the transmissions if you used the factory installed launch program. Oh yeah, then Nissan said you shouldn't have used it and it voided the warranty (even though they used it to get the performance numbers they advertise) and now you are on the hook for a $20k transmission. Picture of reliabilty that is. Your turn on the box.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 PM

Marsaydees
I don't like any Japanese car because they're cheap. They don't have a solid feel in the chassis, they just have a cheap tin can feel. At the end of the day I wouldn't own one as a gift. I'm sure all the service bays at the Japanese car dealers is for oil changes only because they never fail.......dream on. You forgot to mention that horrible piece of garbage Nissan GTR that was exploding the transmissions if you used the factory installed launch program. Oh yeah, then Nissan said you shouldn't have used it and it voided the warranty (even though they used it to get the performance numbers they advertise) and now you are on the hook for a $20k transmission. Picture of reliabilty that is. Your turn on the box.
in the GTR's defense, there's a kit now that fixes the transmission problem allowing the car to be beaten on as much as you'd like.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 PM
aho

03 C32 AMG
My C32 vs 6L GTO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxv_l...=youtube_gdata

Same GTO vs friends S2000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS6Xx...=youtube_gdata
Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Typical Hondah owner.....

Vtec or bust
Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 PM

C32 AMG
now now, I didnt say that ALL jap cars were great cars... i thought we were on the s2k rant. But I will play along.

GTR (POS in my opinion) BUT name me one MB that is faster than it around the nurburg ring? not one! Also you say the tranny suck-ED. It DID. but what about ALL the problems with the c32 and c55 tranny's? Ive had m c32 trans replaced twice already not to mention the mess of electronics that go bad on the inside. Every car has it fair share of problems that go with it. To your voided warranty statement, take a enzo, or scuderia, or CCXR and put different wheels on them or even put them on a track under the driving of ANYONE besides a licensed race driver and guess what..... voided warranty. 06 TL has stuff in it that 2010 MB's dont have in it. The seats, the user-ability, the whole 9 yrds are ALOT better... and thats the reason we decided to keep it over getting an 2010 e350.

everyone's going to have their opinion, I dont think there is a right or wrong really. I just hope this topic doesn't get out of hand. Its fun.

As far as handling and feel... i prefer my s2k over my c32 any day. also in the gas mileage department. back to you, sir.

Last edited by dlwiser; 03-21-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: cuz
Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Typical Hondah owner.....

Vtec or bust

but i own a MB.... just like you.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by dlwiser
now now, I didnt say that ALL jap cars were great cars... i thought we were on the s2k rant. But I will play along.

GTR (POS in my opinion) BUT name me one MB that is faster than it around the nurburg ring? not one! Also you say the tranny suck-ED. It DID. but what about ALL the problems with the c32 and c55 tranny's? Ive had m c32 trans replaced twice already not to mention the mess of electronics that go bad on the inside. Every car has it fair share of problems that go with it. To your voided warranty statement, take a enzo, or scuderia, or CCXR and put different wheels on them or even put them on a track under the driving of ANYONE besides a licensed race driver and guess what..... voided warranty. 06 TL has stuff in it that 2010 MB's dont have in it. The seats, the user-ability, the whole 9 yrds are ALOT better... and thats the reason we decided to keep it over getting an 2010 e350.

As far as handling and feel... i prefer my s2k over my c32 any day. also in the gas mileage department. back to you, sir.
To each it's own... I love Jap sports car (include'n S2k.. They r fun in twities but we all know that thang is a slow n gotta hit redline to squeeze all the power).. I've owned 3rd gen rx7, supras, etc back in the days.. all moded to hell.. In the end, i just got tired of it....

Nur-ring time doesn't mean shiz... You are driving the car on daily basis in real life...n we are not pro drivers ..

Enjoy what you have!

Also I wasn't talking about you DL.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually the transmission in the GTR is made by borg warner which is a american company. So the part that fails in the japanese nissan is the american part...

The solid feel in the mercedes just the weight of the car. In the past japanese manufacturers preferred a lighter weight and low displacement, where the germans and domestics tended to have more weight and high displacement.

The last 5yrs the lines have blurred so much, and most of them use the same suppliers, it doesn't really matter anymore. Just looks and driving feel now.

Tuning wise, the japanese brands has the advantage of many aftermarket part manufacturers and cheaper modding costs. I can't even buy aftermarket pistons and rods for my c32, i would have to do custom where as you can buy forged rods and pistons for $800 for a honda.

The cost for my throttle body, i could have a EVO head build to breath up to 800whp.

With the improvement of modern FI technologies, any 4cylinder, 6cylinder + can be made fast.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
To each it's own... I love Jap sports car (include'n S2k.. They r fun in twities but we all know that thang is a slow n gotta hit redline to squeeze all the power).. I've owned 3rd gen rx7, supras, etc back in the days.. all moded to hell.. In the end, i just got tired of it....

Nur-ring time doesn't mean shiz... You are driving the car on daily basis in real life...n we are not pro drivers ..

Enjoy what you have!

Also I wasn't talking about you DL.
No harm, no foul. Its all in good fun. Im not offended and I hope no one else gets offended.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 PM

C32 AMG
Actually the transmission in the GTR is made by borg warner which is a american company. So the part that fails in the japanese nissan is the american part...

The solid feel in the mercedes just the weight of the car. In the past japanese manufacturers preferred a lighter weight and low displacement, where the germans and domestics tended to have more weight and high displacement.

The last 5yrs the lines have blurred so much, and most of them use the same suppliers, it doesn't really matter anymore. Just looks and driving feel now.

Tuning wise, the japanese brands has the advantage of many aftermarket part manufacturers and cheaper modding costs. I can't even buy aftermarket pistons and rods for my c32, i would have to do custom where as you can buy forged rods and pistons for $800 for a honda.

The cost for my throttle body, i could have a EVO head build to breath up to 800whp.

With the improvement of modern FI technologies, any 4cylinder, 6cylinder + can be made fast.
Thats exactly what i mean when I say the manufacturers are sending their product to two completely different consumer markets. "import tuner" cars are aimed for younger budgeted people where your high end MB, Audi, etc. cars are geared for the older or established crowd. There can be an argument had for quality of aftermarket parts made but that could go on forever. I would say there is a ratio of about 100:1 for "import tuner" guys to MB modders. Thats the reason, IMO, for the significant price difference. They can afford to drop the price no matter the quality bc they will make it up in quantity of sales. Like you said, it took me forever to find someone to do head work on my C32, then i had to wait forever to get a throttle body to match. My s2k was done from start to finish in a week (minus tuning). Even after all that I still have no TQ, lol haha
Old 03-21-2010, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
No harm, no foul. Its all in good fun. Im not offended and I hope no one else gets offended.
You know there are dbag owners in every car brands.. Few bad apple gives bad names for all.. This includes amg, m, ferrari , lambo, etc etc..

I met a guy who owned a S2k told me that he has viper motor inside...... but doesn't want to race my old supra...

W
T
F..

some people are just clueless

Last edited by Quicktwinturbo; 03-21-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats exactly what i mean when I say the manufacturers are sending their product to two completely different consumer markets. "import tuner" cars are aimed for younger budgeted people where your high end MB, Audi, etc. cars are geared for the older or established crowd. There can be an argument had for quality of aftermarket parts made but that could go on forever. I would say there is a ratio of about 100:1 for "import tuner" guys to MB modders. Thats the reason, IMO, for the significant price difference. They can afford to drop the price no matter the quality bc they will make it up in quantity of sales. Like you said, it took me forever to find someone to do head work on my C32, then i had to wait forever to get a throttle body to match. My s2k was done from start to finish in a week (minus tuning). Even after all that I still have no TQ, lol haha

Well turbo would've changed the no tq problem. But i'm thinking about getting maybe a evo or something as my go fast car. My buddy bought his evo 8 for $15k and the car was already modded to 380awhp on the stock turbo.

He can buy a gt40r turbo for around $400. I'm disgusted by the plentiful cheap go fast parts in the japanese tuner community compared to the euro market..lol.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 PM

Marsaydees
i'd rather be in a slower classy car than a car that feels like a fast economy junker - an evo. i'm sure others would agree, it's not like they don't have the money to be in an evo instead.

you cant beat bang for the buck from a 4g63 though...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "12.5" second s2000 vs c55