C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

summer project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
Talking summer project

My name is Vincent, i introduced myself back in January 2010, if you remember i am 16 years young and my first car is a c32 (i am very greatful) i love this car and plan on keeping up the AMG tradition my father has kept. its an 02 with 87000 miles on it. runs like new, lots of power (havent lost a race yet, 4-0 lol) i am getting a good paying summer job with my mothers real estate company that she is partnerd with the florida everblades former player Tom Mcbuckley. since i am getting this job over summer i have some major plans for the car. i already have a possible tune that i dont exactly know for sure about. i know this is far fetched and out there, but i would like to match if not beat the eurocharged c32 darg time. it would be a dream i have had since i started looking into the c32. of course im having my parents help me with this but most of it will be my money and time. im very greatful to have the parents i have for allowing me to turn my car into a something most wouldnt. I think i deserve this as i have made a 3.98 GPA unweighted

most likely mods for this summer
Code 3 pulley
secondary cat and resonator delete
johnson pump
NKG spark plugs
spark plug wires
later on mods:
headers
eurocharged heat exchanger
sl55 intake

as for weight i have no idea.
i have no spare tire we bought the car that way.
if i dont already have a tune then i would like to get the eurocharged tune.

some questions i have; can you have a crank pulley and the code 3 pulley? do headers do anything performance wise, i heard they dont??

this is a big expansive project i have been dreaming for a while and im going to do my best to make it a reality

thank you for reading,
Vincent

Last edited by c32kompressor; 04-18-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
Old 04-19-2010, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32kompressor
most likely mods for this summer
Code 3 pulley
johnson pump
NKG spark plugs
spark plug wires
later on mods:
headers
sl55 intake

as for weight i have no idea.
i have no spare tire we bought the car that way.
if i dont already have a tune then i would like to get the eurocharged tune.

some questions i have; can you have a crank pulley and the code 3 pulley? do headers do anything performance wise, i heard they dont??

this is a big expansive project i have been dreaming for a while and im going to do my best to make it a reality

thank you for reading,
Vincent
hi vincent,

if you intend to pass the eurocharged drag time (which, by the way, doesn't actually reflect the actual fastest run it ever made)...you need to do much more than your suggest mods. i'm about as modded as they come at this point and i'm not near that. my best was about a 12.5 at 112 or 113 on 91 and you can see my mods in my sig.

if you intend to try to beat Jake's car, you need to do much more. some ideas you might want to consider or address to have a faster time:

-perhaps upgrade the supercharger, or mod it
-convert to turbo
-fuel....you'll need to change injectors/pump
-maybe nitrous
-some serious tuning if you do the above
-transmission....only jake has reached the tq limits on the car and is familiar with this
-larger TB
- p/p heads
- cam

as far as spare tire, mine doesnt have one nor did it come with one. in fact, IIRC, most didnt.

to answer your questions:

yes you can have a code3 pulley and a larger crank pulley....but you will likely having some serious lack of fuel issues, will throw overboost codes (you'll have to mess with the MAP sensor), and may get some heat issues by running such high boost. for some reason, i still feel that a 181mm crank pulley and a machined down supercharger pulley may make slightly more power than a 185 simply because of a little less rotating mass.

as far as headers, yes they make power and make the car sound hella nice. not sure who said they dont, but they do. make sure you go with ones that are stainless steel and not mild ceramic....the latter will eventually leak.

i've had this dream for a while too, but at a point, you start realizing with all the money it will take to put into it to get it to be so fast, you can just get another car.

as far as weight savings, if you ever save up some serious money, you could always do a carbon fiber hood, trunk, and doors. you could take out the back seats and the passenger....though i like the car b/c of its functionality....of it having the ability to seat 5. you could also opt for a carbon fiber drive shaft, which no one makes at this point. less rotating mass, less power lost to the wheels.

as far as your mod list, i would honestly do it differently:

"Code 3 pulley
johnson pump
NKG spark plugs
spark plug wires
later on mods:
headers
sl55 intake
"

i would delete the resonator first. then do pulley. once you have the money, then do heat exchanger and johnson pump simultaneously. do these before all the others as this will lower your IATs and allow you to run quicker more consistently. then plugs and wires OR SL55 intake if you are dissatisfied with the code3 (by the way, if you remove the weather stripping lining the firewall, it will make the supercharger louder)....then headers.....i wouldn't tough the secondary cats until the end.....there is no power to be gained with removing those and if/when you do headers, you may not like the loudness of deleting the secondary cats....i may still do it, but i love the current sound i have.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 AM

CLK55 AMG
Thank you for your response, I didn't know that there was that much to do to this car, I will take all those suggestions seriously as you must have WAY more experience than I do. I like your suggestion of mods that would come first as now I will be doing those things first. It does seem a little too much to even try but ill see how far I get
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Does deleting the resonator actually have a performance impact? I thought the sole purpose behind that was to make the car sound a little better.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by Biscuit
Does deleting the resonator actually have a performance impact? I thought the sole purpose behind that was to make the car sound a little better.
deleting the resonator does nothing but free up a little bit of weight. Deleting the cats on the other hand, frees up some power.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 AM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Originally Posted by RLx02
deleting the resonator does nothing but free up a little bit of weight. Deleting the cats on the other hand, frees up some power.
Ahh, didn't think about weight. That'd be some tiny savings but I guess every little bit helps.

As for deleting cats... I wonder if the LET ECU tune I've got would prevent any CEL's from popping up when removing those? If nobody knows I'll shoot them a PM and ask and post back here. It'd be good info for the OP anyways.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Ahh, didn't think about weight. That'd be some tiny savings but I guess every little bit helps.

As for deleting cats... I wonder if the LET ECU tune I've got would prevent any CEL's from popping up when removing those? If nobody knows I'll shoot them a PM and ask and post back here. It'd be good info for the OP anyways.
If you're just deleting the rear cats you'll be fine. I don't know if LET programmed out the o2 sensors in its tune, but you might get a CEL if they didn't if you remove the primary cats.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
If you're just deleting the rear cats you'll be fine. I don't know if LET programmed out the o2 sensors in its tune, but you might get a CEL if they didn't if you remove the primary cats.
How would removing the secondary cats impact the car's ability to pass an emissions test?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Originally Posted by King320
How would removing the secondary cats impact the car's ability to pass an emissions test?
It shouldn't unless they pull out a mirror and start looking under your car. As long as you don't throw a CEL and they don't look underneath you're clear.

Eurocharged shot me a PM back and said if I delete the cats I'll need a retune. So to the OP -- keep that in mind if you decide to start removing pieces.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
+1 on resonator....also, changes tone of exhaust. sounds more aggressive.....however, only on the C55 will deleting the secondary cats free up some power. in the C32, deleting them increases the volume of the exhaust. HOWEVER, if you have modded the c32 exhaust and have higher flowing primaries and headers ('im going to assume anyone that has done that also deleted the resonator), then deleting the secondaries *might* result in a little increase in hp, maybe 2 or 3 whp because of resolving the previous bottleneck in the exhaust (stock exhaust manifolds) and allowing for more flow now.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Thank you for your response, I didn't know that there was that much to do to this car, I will take all those suggestions seriously as you must have WAY more experience than I do. I like your suggestion of mods that would come first as now I will be doing those things first. It does seem a little too much to even try but ill see how far I get
there is a lot involved, thats for sure. and if you are not installing most of these mods yourself, the labor expense can add up. so make sure you budget accordingly. GL and feel free to post here or PM any questions.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 PM

CLK55 AMG
okay so my first mods that are being done are the resonator and the c3p pulley. im ordering it from hpashop.com i need to know if theyre legit? anyone have experience with them?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:50 PM

CLK55 AMG
im going to post a video of my car doing 0-60 tonight, i this around think its around 5 sec? i want to have some before and after videos of my progress.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 PM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
im going to post a video of my car doing 0-60 tonight, i this around think its around 5 sec? i want to have some before and after videos of my progress.
Yeah, HP Autowerks are a good company.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 PM

CLK55 AMG
okay good, how fast is thier shipping?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
okay so my first mods that are being done are the resonator and the c3p pulley. im ordering it from hpashop.com i need to know if theyre legit? anyone have experience with them?
i havent heard any problems about them. the former owner of code3performance.com sold the rights to his product (i think) to that company and i think he still works for them.

the install of the pulley is pretty simple btw. definitely DIY to save some money. make sure you get the torque specs so as not to overtorque the supercharger bolt.....THAT will (and has) led to it breaking and causing some serious issues. the install itself shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes if you're somewhat handy with tools.

0-60 is unreliable. with more power, you'll have more difficulty launching the car and your 0-60 time may actually decrease. a better way to track your progress is via dynos and/or 1/4mile trap speeds. additionally, and i don't promote this, if you have a buddy who can video tape the car while he runs you (assuming you drive to mexico to do this), you can compare how you do against his car with each additional mod. however, this is also variable. i'd really try to stick with one of the first two options.

additionally, if you don't want to dyno or go to a track, you can invest in one of those g-tech pro monitors that can tell you your 1/4mile time and trap speed (the latter being more important in terms of showing increases in power)....however, that could throw you back a hundred or two.

okay good, how fast is thier shipping?
the shipping times from code3performance varied: sometimes good, sometimes not. i have heard no reviews about shipping from hpa though.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 PM

CLK55 AMG
i know about overtightening the bolt on the pulley as from other threads, if im correct you tighten it about 15-20N? i have an 1/8 mile track about 30 miles from me that i can go to and use, but i would prefer a 1/4 mile track
Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
your looking at about 3 months backorder on the c3 pulley. if your are serious about beating jakes time the c3 isnt the route you want . you need a 178 stacked with a machined oem s/c or 185 to even start to get close. long tube headers and sec. cat delete along with res. delete. full sl55 intake setup with devil horns from needswings will get the air to the s/c but lean issues will drive you crazy.
at 16 let me suggest this. c3 with sl55 intakes and a e/c dyno tune. shorty e/c headers with sec cat and res delete keeping the oem muffler. oil catch can and maxbore on the t/b to 77mm. this will get you much better rwhp and keep you in the races but not the fastest. upside is you wont have to worry about overboost, lean conditions or detonation
lastly accept the fact your 16 and have NO EXPERIENCE driving or racing. this isnt a knock on you just a fact. keep the racing on the track and act like the 3.98 gpa young adult you are on the street. enjoy the 32!

lastly go to crossfireforum.org and check the srt-6 forum out. same driveline and this guys race the fire out of them! much info for you to soak up
Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
your looking at about 3 months backorder on the c3 pulley. if your are serious about beating jakes time the c3 isnt the route you want . you need a 178 stacked with a machined oem s/c or 185 to even start to get close. long tube headers and sec. cat delete along with res. delete. full sl55 intake setup with devil horns from needswings will get the air to the s/c but lean issues will drive you crazy.
at 16 let me suggest this. c3 with sl55 intakes and a e/c dyno tune. shorty e/c headers with sec cat and res delete keeping the oem muffler. oil catch can and maxbore on the t/b to 77mm. this will get you much better rwhp and keep you in the races but not the fastest. upside is you wont have to worry about overboost, lean conditions or detonation
lastly accept the fact your 16 and have NO EXPERIENCE driving or racing. this isnt a knock on you just a fact. keep the racing on the track and act like the 3.98 gpa young adult you are on the street. enjoy the 32!

lastly go to crossfireforum.org and check the srt-6 forum out. same driveline and this guys race the fire out of them! much info for you to soak up
thank you for your inquiry i guess maybe this dream is alittle much, but im going to achieve the best time i can with the mods i get. thank you all for your replies
Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
lol, wish you the best on your little endevor. Its gonna come at a large cost. I had easily 100 hours labor into the car. Translation take $75 an hour and multiply and thats just labor.

Listen to the guys, they know what they are talking about.

Also add to josh's list: one off throttle body, lsd, torque convertor, enhanced cooling (cryo2), nos, custom intake, drag tires, 185 stacked with a custom sc pulley, long tube headers; and a few other things.

Good luck! Oh and btw, once you get to a certain HP, the tranny will hit torque management and need special ecu/tcu programming to get around limp mode!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:53 PM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Originally Posted by loungn14
lol, wish you the best on your little endevor. Its gonna come at a large cost. I had easily 100 hours labor into the car. Translation take $75 an hour and multiply and thats just labor.

Wonder if the turbo conversion would be the best route for him... I've never seen anybody put a larger S/C on. (Excluding MIDO's custom super duper setup...can't wait to see what happens there.) Are there any out there that can go on without massive amounts of work? I'm assuming not since it hasn't been done, heh.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Wonder if the turbo conversion would be the best route for him... I've never seen anybody put a larger S/C on. (Excluding MIDO's custom super duper setup...can't wait to see what happens there.) Are there any out there that can go on without massive amounts of work? I'm assuming not since it hasn't been done, heh.
Ya, that would be a good idea as with bolt ons he is not gonna achieve that goal.

Nothing without a lot of work, we have looked at some stuff. Ends up with too many bottlenecks
Old 04-20-2010, 02:49 PM

'13 Dodge Dart, '16 Audi Q5
Originally Posted by loungn14

Haha, Jake that seems more like just the count of hours that took place between 9a-5p not counting the long nights with it up on the rack installing all the goodies.

...funniest moment with that car was draining a full tank of gas before HIN using the fuel pump and keying the car on/off for 30minutes...hilarious.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 AM

2002 c32 amg
Your wish list is my exact setup, I have the code3 pulley, intake, heat exchanger, Evosport Headers, deleted resonator and secondary cats, and a eurocharge tune. I dynoed about 330HP and the wheels and around 350 ft lbs of torque. I never got around to dragstrip after the ECU tune, but previously my best time was 13.1 @ 109, I would imagine with the tune I would be in the high 12's. The car sounded great and was a blast to drive, it would beat 99% of the cars on the road.

I will most likely be selling most of my mods, as I blew up my engine the other night (not racing), and will need the money to swap the engine. If you are interested in any parts let me know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: summer project