C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Windshield wipers not stopping correctly..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Windshield wipers not stopping correctly..?

So.. has anyone had this problem?

I was driving home the other day in the rain using the intermittent rain-sensor setting, and suddenly, instead of stopping in their regular resting stop, the wipers started stopping half-way up on my windshield. They've been doing that ever since and I feel like a retard driving with them like that.

I went to the dealership today where they plugged it into a star diagnostics device, and they have no idea what's wrong.

So.. has anyone encountered this before and know a fix? I tried the search but found nothing conclusive

PS I'm getting tired of this POS car and the constant **** I have to put up with. In the 24.000 km's (15.000 miles) I've had it, I have spent somewhere around 6000$ on various repairs and services (not counting tires). Considering that it's only driven around 116.000 km (72.000 miles), I find this ridiculous. Never buying a Benz again unless it's brand new.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 PM

Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Originally Posted by Hjartarson
So.. has anyone had this problem?

I was driving home the other day in the rain using the intermittent rain-sensor setting, and suddenly, instead of stopping in their regular resting stop, the wipers started stopping half-way up on my windshield. They've been doing that ever since and I feel like a retard driving with them like that.

I went to the dealership today where they plugged it into a star diagnostics device, and they have no idea what's wrong.

So.. has anyone encountered this before and know a fix? I tried the search but found nothing conclusive

PS I'm getting tired of this POS car and the constant **** I have to put up with. In the 24.000 km's (15.000 miles) I've had it, I have spent somewhere around 6000$ on various repairs and services (not counting tires). Considering that it's only driven around 116.000 km (72.000 miles), I find this ridiculous. Never buying a Benz again unless it's brand new.
I feel your pain friend. I have had repairs done under warranty that so far cost $16000, and spend around $4000 of my own money to keep the car running. Now, I have the same problem as you with the wipers stuck halfway up the windshield. After doing a lot of research online, I found this thread where the solution to our problem ended up to be that we need a new windshield wiper motor. I still have not replaced the motor on mine and I am planning on doing that as soon as I get some money saved up. The motor is not expensive from parts.com is about $112 to $120. Here is the link:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...r-problem.html
Old 04-19-2010, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by alkrstev
I feel your pain friend. I have had repairs done under warranty that so far cost $16000, and spend around $4000 of my own money to keep the car running. Now, I have the same problem as you with the wipers stuck halfway up the windshield. After doing a lot of research online, I found this thread where the solution to our problem ended up to be that we need a new windshield wiper motor. I still have not replaced the motor on mine and I am planning on doing that as soon as I get some money saved up. The motor is not expensive from parts.com is about $112 to $120. Here is the link:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...r-problem.html
The new motor from parts.com is $190. I had the same problem with the wipers. Got a used motor from southern CA and installed it last week. Took care of the problem. I also installed new 2005 style wiper arms while I was at it.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lenin
The new motor from parts.com is $190. I had the same problem with the wipers. Got a used motor from southern CA and installed it last week. Took care of the problem. I also installed new 2005 style wiper arms while I was at it.
It was probably a different parts website I saw it at. It is $112 at a local parts store near my house. There is a re-manufactured one at the rock auto website for $104 before taxes. Here is the link:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,8824

Last edited by alkrstev; 04-19-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 AM

Does anybody have a DIY on how to replace the wiper motor or is it easy to do and self explanatory? It would be very appreciated.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does anybody have a DIY on how to replace the wiper motor or is it easy to do and self explanatory? It would be very appreciated.
I don't have a DIY but I will help you along. It's not complicated. Two things that may be somewhat difficult. If the wiperarms are stuck, see if you can get a hold of a wiper arm puller. The other thing is the cowl, or the rain collector. You have to lossen it with hooks on both sides and then pull it down and off. The rest is easy. If you get stuck, post here or send me a PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lenin
I don't have a DIY but I will help you along. It's not complicated. Two things that may be somewhat difficult. If the wiperarms are stuck, see if you can get a hold of a wiper arm puller. The other thing is the cowl, or the rain collector. You have to lossen it with hooks on both sides and then pull it down and off. The rest is easy. If you get stuck, post here or send me a PM.
Thanks a lot Lenin. My car does not have the automatic rain wipers. It only has the intermittent option, regular, and fast. Would that make things less complicated? I will probably try to do this next week cause I am busy this week, but I will definitely pm you for some help if I run into difficulties.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks a lot Lenin. My car does not have the automatic rain wipers. It only has the intermittent option, regular, and fast. Would that make things less complicated? I will probably try to do this next week cause I am busy this week, but I will definitely pm you for some help if I run into difficulties.
This should not make a difference. If anything, it should rule out any rain sensor related issues.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Thanks for the info guys .. just ordered a re-manufactured unit from Rockauto

Dealer quoted me 506$ for wiper motor ...