C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 Headlamp headache

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C32 AMG
C32 Headlamp headache

As from my previous thread, I was having multiple electrical issues with my car however most were resolved with a simple replacement of the battery. One issue i'm still having would be my right headlight intermittently working. I finally found some time and switched the bulbs, and to my horror the "bad" bulb worked perfectly and the "good" one wouldn't light right off the bat in the right-side housing. So that eliminates the bulbs themselves. This leaves the ballast/igniter to be shot / on its way out since it only works half the time. Or possibly a wire that's become loose?

Any tips / hints on what to look for? Also, can we just replace the ballasts in these cars or is it a whole section that needs to come with it?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
interesting. after my passenger side license plate bulb went out, my left brake light and right head lamp went out at the exact same time....except i have a new battery.

i'm betting on some bad wiring in my case and yours, though i'm no electrical expert.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Have you noticed it occurring more when the car hits a bump or if there is some sort of movement. A good way to tell if you have a loose connections is if movement causes the light to come and go off. If this is the case, then just check all the wires to see where it could be loose.

If that's not the case, you may want to get a voltmeter to see what's going on with the voltage. Do you get a message on your dash when your lights go out? Do you have headlight washers?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 AM

03 C32 AMG
You know, now that you mention about the bumps it doesn't make a difference going over bumps or what not... Usually it's either on and will stay on, or it's off but sometimes turning the headlights on and off a few times will finally get it to work.

I do get a message on the dash saying R headlight is out, or to that effect. Also have headlight washer
Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
I'm inclined to suggest a ballast problem.

And I really wouldn't put a volt meter on the bulb end of the wires. You might get a shocking experience.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I think that there may be a repair kit from mercedes, but I can't remember if I'm making that up. You maybe able to find a ballast if you are lucky if it is indeed the ballast.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:33 PM

03 C32 AMG
I'll have to figure something out, it's getting quite annoying!