3m tape good enough for roof wing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
3m tape good enough for roof wing?

I have been wanting to put a roof wing on for a while, but just don't know if the 3m is good enough to keep it from "flying" off.

Best pun eva!!! :facepalm:
Old 07-09-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by pointman
I have been wanting to put a roof wing on for a while, but just don't know if the 3m is good enough to keep it from "flying" off.

Yes
Old 07-09-2010, 02:14 PM

MB
As long as it's the VHB stuff (Very high bond). Same stuff they use on the badges etc. You won't want to use the double stick foam tape found at Home Depot.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you. Is there a way to determine what tape is on it? Most of the vendors on the site sell it with the tape preinstalled, I believe.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
YES and NO...

the red/grey 3M tape are strong enough to hold the spoiler, but you have to make sure there are absolutely no oil or grimes of any type when you put it on OR they will slowly starting to come off after a while. and make sure the spoiler side is also sanded and cleaned before you put the tape on or they will not stick that easy.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:38 PM

MB
Originally Posted by FrankW
...but you have to make sure there are absolutely no oil or grimes of any type when you put it on OR they will slowly starting to come off after a while.

Ahhh good point!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

YES and NO...

the red/grey 3M tape are strong enough to hold the spoiler, but you have to make sure there are absolutely no oil or grimes of any type when you put it on OR they will slowly starting to come off after a while. and make sure the spoiler side is also sanded and cleaned before you put the tape on or they will not stick that easy.
Awesome. Thanks. CF ones are good to go though, right?
Old 07-10-2010, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
YES and NO...

thats what I used for my cf lip and the 5.5 amg badges. Works great.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pick up
I think it will do man.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by pointman

i forgot to ask, which kind are you getting? I'm trying to find a good quality cf one that raises up a little bit, instead of being flush with the roofline.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
YES and NO...

just to add, I had to remove my trunk spoiler because it started to come loose.....so i did these steps
1. fit the roof spoiler on first and apply painters tape on the body around the edges of the spoiler
2. with only the surface area of the body exposed, clean the area where the spoiler is going to be mounted with denatured alcohol
3. apply 3m automotive tape on the roof area about 2mm away from the edges of the painters tape (I applied the tape on the body first because if it is on the spoiler and you are slightly misaligned, it is very difficult to adjust once the tape touches the body as opposed to vice versa.)
4. test fit spoiler .
5. remove backing from 3m tape, HOLD YOUR BREATH....and slowly stick the spoiler on to tape while lining up edges of the spoiler to the painters tape. do not press down right away so you can adjust it, 3m atomotive tape is no joke. would be better if you had a friend help you.
6.open up a can of beer and enjoy the new look

John
Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLx02
i forgot to ask, which kind are you getting? I'm trying to find a good quality cf one that raises up a little bit, instead of being flush with the roofline.
Same here. I have been checking, and PM'ed with a few people I consider knowledgeable here. Seems like if material and visible appearance is the same, they are made by the same place. Basically gotta find a vendor with positive reviews. I will let you know when I pull the trigger on one, and if it shows up in a favorable light/fitment.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W203Ramos
just to add, I had to remove my trunk spoiler because it started to come loose.....so i did these steps
1. fit the roof spoiler on first and apply painters tape on the body around the edges of the spoiler
2. with only the surface area of the body exposed, clean the area where the spoiler is going to be mounted with denatured alcohol
3. apply 3m automotive tape on the roof area about 2mm away from the edges of the painters tape (I applied the tape on the body first because if it is on the spoiler and you are slightly misaligned, it is very difficult to adjust once the tape touches the body as opposed to vice versa.)
4. test fit spoiler .
5. remove backing from 3m tape, HOLD YOUR BREATH....and slowly stick the spoiler on to tape while lining up edges of the spoiler to the painters tape. do not press down right away so you can adjust it, 3m atomotive tape is no joke. would be better if you had a friend help you.
6.open up a can of beer and enjoy the new look

John
Awesome. Appreciate the advice.