C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Black Chrome

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Black Chrome

So I want to go with Black Chrome for all the bright work on my C55 and just wanted to see if anyone has seen any parts pieces that are already black chrome.

I found this kit, by dupli-color, that I am going to purchase as well as some cheap chrome bits and buables from the autoparts store to play with to see what it will do and how it would turn out. I would prefer to buy all the pieces and parts but have a feeling most will not be available. Let me know if anyone has seen this? Also do you think I should try to do the Wheel lips? I am thinking if all the other chrome is black it might not look right with the bright wheel lips.

This is what Black Chrome looks like for those who don't know what I am talking about.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
I've looked into changing the color of the chrome all the way around the impact strips and I don't know for sure yet if it comes off easily or how it's even attached. I do know that you have to order the whole impact strip for a replacement and it comes attached already. I think the dealership quoted me almost $1000 for all 13 pieces.

I'm with you on the notion that black chrome everywhere else will conflict with the wheel lip.

eBay usually has black chrome AMG badges for cheap, that could be your reference point of you order one.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55 AMG
I wanted all of my chrome blacked out so I had a local body/paint shop just paint them for me. It was fairly cheap and the result initially was good but after driving it for over a year the paint has been chipping revealing the chrome underneath and looks bad. I dont know of any black chrome replacements but I had thought about redoing all of my chrome with vinyl wrap in either black or that 3m carbon fiber material.

Last edited by thegreatfnr; 07-12-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG, CLK550
That's not bad looking on that wheel!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Lexus and Toyota used Black Chrome extensively in the mid to late 90's and I have always liked the look. that kit is like 20 bucks includes the black, which looks like a black candy from what I can tell. and a can of clear coat. both are bomb cans. I figure I will spend 30 bucks this weekend on that and some of those nasty jc whitney looking chrome add on bits making sure to get some plastic and metal parts and play around with the stuff and see how it turns out.... let it weather in my back yard for a couple of weeks to see how it stands up and then go from there. If that works and I like the look I will start with buying new badges for the back and giving it the treatment. then maybe try out the existing grill (needs a new one anyway, has love bug damage, so if it doesn't look right it I will just replace with the single bar SL look grill) I will keep everyone upto date on my progress...