Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
no, it's not.
Dingle,

Giving an answer with no basis behind why you gave it doesn't do a lot of good for a discussion.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:01 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/u][/i][/b]

OK, so you've got $400 bucks to spend (hypothetically), where do you spend it? SB or a Jerry Tune?? I know where I'd go, BUT that's just me.

Don Nguyen does some awesome Vinyl wraps, some of which LOOK like carbon fibre. Does this make them wraps Carbon fibre or just the illusion of carbon fibre (and do they make the car faster because carbon fibre look is lighter??) .

THE SB is a great unit to "feel" better throttle response, BUT if you want to spend well over $340 for a SB, why not just get a tune???
Newzchspy,

Once again, I'm not trying to tell anybody to do one over the other. Like I said before I know the SB doesn't add a single HP/TQ to the car (that's what my tune and other mods were for).

But what SB does actually (not just "feeling") do is increase the throttle response to the car. Now unless you are trying to say that NO car out here can handle that quick of a throttle response, then there would be some REAL benefit (not just a "feeling") that could be gained from an SB (when comparing apples to apples, with a vehicle that can handle the increased throttle response).
Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 PM

C55 AMG
NOT true, the ONLY change is the first 25% of pedal travel, after that, no difference. So, your SB (which I do OWN as well) allows you to get the first 25% travel quicker BUT the engine can only react so fast to throttle application and there's only so much traction as well, so its really academic. After that 25%, we're BOTH the same and so is HP and TQ and traction etc etc.

I do love this quote on the SB site:
"I loved the sprintbooster until lastnight when it decided to stop working on the highway. It was like you put on the brakes. The GMC Serria Computer cut power to engine. It was a bear to make it home. I bought this last September. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it exchanged."

** Just sayin ***

Their own graph tells the whole story.

Well, based on that graph, you would achieve WOT approx .1 sec faster using the same throttle inputs with a SB than without. Now assuming you have a vehicle that can handle that rapid input, you would gain an advantage (due to the response time)...all things being equal.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by BHeart
Well, based on that graph, you would achieve WOT approx .1 sec faster using the same throttle inputs with a SB than without. Now assuming you have a vehicle that can handle that rapid input, you would gain an advantage (due to the response time)...all things being equal.
Only theoretically since all I have to do on the C55 is push just a tad harder than you to achieve the same results and I am not sure I want to do that on a launch just to lite up the rears and lose my 60 foot time.

My old SB on the C32 is very sensitive and there are times I do NOT like it and thus the reason for the new one, I reckon?? BUT, if you like it, that's all that matters.......................

Me, like I said above ^^, for the $$, a tune is the better way to go.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
This is the dumbest argument ever. Your SprintBooster does nothing but let you push the pedal less to achieve a more open throttle body. All I have to do is push my pedal down farther. You mean to tell me it takes a significantly measurable amount of time for me to mash my pedal to the floor vs you pushing it 3/4 of the way down? No it doesn't, and if you argue that point you're making yourself look like an idiot.

Having a SB simply means your transmission "learns" that you drive like a maniac all day long and thinks you always mash the accelerator half-way or more.

Someone go ahead and tell me that a stock C32 with no tune and a Sprint Booster installed vs a stock C32 with a baseline Eurocharged tune and a freshly reset transmission adaptation is going to be faster. because if that's the case I'm getting a refund from Jerry and buying a SprintBooster TONIGHT!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
This is the dumbest argument ever. Your SprintBooster does nothing but let you push the pedal less to achieve a more open throttle body. All I have to do is push my pedal down farther. You mean to tell me it takes a significantly measurable amount of time for me to mash my pedal to the floor vs you pushing it 3/4 of the way down? No it doesn't, and if you argue that point you're making yourself look like an idiot.

Having a SB simply means your transmission "learns" that you drive like a maniac all day long and thinks you always mash the accelerator half-way or more.

Someone go ahead and tell me that a stock C32 with no tune and a Sprint Booster installed vs a stock C32 with a baseline Eurocharged tune and a freshly reset transmission adaptation is going to be faster. because if that's the case I'm getting a refund from Jerry and buying a SprintBooster TONIGHT!

Chris, you and I and Josh know that there are those above us ^^^ that think the SB makes their car faster/quicker (because of their ability to hit the gas faster). We're not going to change their mind..............

BUT this below even makes more of a compelling argument for a tune: (from Loungin)

Mercedes

C32/SRT6 - Retail: $600 - Timmayfest : $300 - Tune Details

55 Series - Retail: $800 - Timmayfest: $499 - Tune Details

63 Series - Retail:$1299 - Timmayfest : $699 - Tune Details

65/600 Series - Retail: $1499 -Timmayfest : $899 - Tune Details

Other vehicles avaliable as well, contact for details.

So, for $40.00 bucks LESS than a SB, you can get a tune (with lifetimes updates) and GET more HP/TQ and a TRULY quicker car!!

Last edited by Newzchspy; 05-03-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:05 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by chris.bachman

Chris,

I would ask you to re-read all of my comments if you think I'm trying to compare a SB to a tune. I AM NOT. I stated from the start that I fully understand that the SB doesn't add any HP/TQ. Just like I also stated "I have a tune", so I fully acknowledge the HP/TQ benefits of a tune. If I only had enough money for one or the other, I would buy the tune first. But that does not take away from the potential value to be gained from having a SB.

All I"m saying is, apples to apples, if you have two equally modded vehichles being driving exactly the same, with the only difference being one has a SB and the other doesn't, then there should be an advantage (regardless of how small) to the SB vehicle based on being able to achieve WOT a tenth of a second faster. That's all I'm saying.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:16 PM

C55 AMG
[/u][/i][/b]

Chris, you and I and Josh know that there are those above us ^^^ that think the SB makes their car faster/quicker (because of their ability to hit the gas faster). We're not going to change their mind..............

BUT this below even makes more of a compelling argument for a tune: (from Loungin)

Mercedes

C32/SRT6 - Retail: $600 - Timmayfest : $300 - Tune Details

55 Series - Retail: $800 - Timmayfest: $499 - Tune Details

63 Series - Retail:$1299 - Timmayfest : $699 - Tune Details

65/600 Series - Retail: $1499 -Timmayfest : $899 - Tune Details

Other vehicles avaliable as well, contact for details.

So, for $40.00 bucks LESS than a SB, you can get a tune (with lifetimes updates) and GET more HP/TQ and a TRULY quicker car!!

Newzchspy,

Just for clarification, if the comment you made in your first sentence was directed at me, then I think you have misunderstand me from the start. I've never said that it makes you faster by any means. But what it does do is get the message to your throttle quicker (even if only by a small degree) than it would without it.

Perfect practical example, imagine you have two track stars at the starting line. Both of them equal in every way except in hearing. One of them can hear .1sec before the other. When the starting gun goes off, the one that can react to the sound (even if only by .1sec soon) will have a slight advantage (for whatever it is worth). That's purely academic, which is all I have been saying from the start.

Now once again, as I said to Chris. If you only have enough money for an SB or a tune, then I would recommend the tune first. But there is some real tangible value (even if small) beside the "feeling" that can be gained by using a SB.

Nuff said....
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Newzchspy,

Just for clarification, if the comment you made in your first sentence was directed at me, then I think you have misunderstand me from the start. I've never said that it makes you faster by any means. But what it does do is get the message to your throttle quicker (even if only by a small degree) than it would without it.

Perfect practical example, imagine you have two track stars at the starting line. Both of them equal in every way except in hearing. One of them can hear .1sec before the other. When the starting gun goes off, the one that can react to the sound (even if only by .1sec soon) will have a slight advantage (for whatever it is worth). That's purely academic, which is all I have been saying from the start.

Now once again, as I said to Chris. If you only have enough money for an SB or a tune, then I would recommend the tune first. But there is some real tangible value (even if small) beside the "feeling" that can be gained by using a SB.

Nuff said....
OK, you're fixing to be owned. As a former track runner and marathoner and ultra marathoner..................you're dead wrong about the track star and "hearing " the gun. Track stars don't listen to the gun, they LOOK for the smoke from the gun since sight (i.e. light) travels a helluva lot faster than sound......By the time you and your SB hear bam from the starters gun, I've already left the gates because I saw the smoke of the gun........

Anything else???
Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
OK, you're fixing to be owned. As a former track runner and marathoner and ultra marathoner..................you're dead wrong about the track star and "hearing " the gun. Track stars don't listen to the gun, they LOOK for the smoke from the gun since sight (i.e. light) travels a helluva lot faster than sound......By the time you and your SB hear bam from the starters gun, I've already left the gates because I saw the smoke of the gun........

Anything else???
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 PM

C55 AMG

Anything else???
Newzchspy,

I see you got sooo happy that I made an analogy that you are well versed in that you lost the whole point of the story. I'm not trying to be a "track star", I'm making an analogy, so with your expert background, simply change the analogy from sound to sight. Bottom line, the result is the same. .1 of second improvement is just that IMPROVEMENT...

Attack the argument, not the analogy...lol
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 PM

C55 AMG
You are a cute coat rider, keep up the good work....lol
Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
We have all been just by reading this thread...
Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Marsaydees
I really hate trying to educate dullards but what the hell...

The human foot can pivot along its axis to produce a tangential velocity of approximately 8 m/s (this is on the low side, perhaps an 80 year old arthritic woman).

Pedal travel: 7 inches at the largest radius. That's 0.18 meters.

0.18 / 8 = .023 seconds....That's 23 milliseconds from closed throttle to WOT.

Let's say some sucker with an SB hits WOT at half of the pedal travel, so he will be at WOT in approximately 11.5 milliseconds. About 11.5 milliseconds later, the car without SB will be at full throttle as well.

11.5 MILLISECONDS DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sorry, had to do it.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 PM

2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline

The human foot can pivot along its axis to produce a tangential velocity of approximately 8 m/s (this is on the low side, perhaps an 80 year old arthritic woman).

Let's say some sucker with an SB hits WOT at half of the pedal travel, so he will be at WOT in approximately 11.5 milliseconds. About 11.5 milliseconds later, the car without SB will be at full throttle as well.

I really hate people with good knowledge to share that act like a ***** in the process of answering fair questions. Maybe you should dig a little deeper to find the strength to not participate in topics that you find irritating. A person with your superior intellect should surely have more self control than this. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... None the less, I appreciate your take on the subject.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:19 PM

2006 C55 AMG

Anything else???
Newzchspy, I think you missed his point here. All things remaining equal the SB should have the advantage, that's what he's saying. I'm not going to sit here and argue whether this is true or not. I don't know enough about the SB or even cars in general to take a stab at this. No one here is saying the SB adds more HP/TQ/Speed etc over the tune.

The way I see it is if the SB makes your car "feel" a lot better than it's worth it for $300! How your car "feels" to you is an important factor. If the C55 came with a crappy plastic steering wheel I'd pay the $300 to have it replaced with the nice solid leather steering wheel that comes with the car. It won't add anything in terms of performance, but it certainly feels better.

I tested many cars before I bought my c55. Some faster, some slower but I ultimately landed on the c55 because it felt the best to me. If the SB makes the car feel the way you think it should feel than I don't see a problem with it.

For the record my car's completely stock.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.

Ding ding, school's in session girls. Next week we talk about the Pythagorean Theorem. Don't forget your books.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 AM

C55 AMG

Dingle,

I appreciate your astute insight on the human anatomy, but in the middle of your great dissertation you must have forgot what my main point was. That regardless of how small (even you 11.5 milliseconds, as you claim) the advantage is, that the SB has the potential of providing a “real” not just "felt or perceived" advantage in the area of throttle input.

Oh, by the way, the part you also neglected to add is that once that 11.5millisecond difference is added to the through, the electronic signal input provides an additional tenth of a second increase to the response (assuming all other factor being held constant).

So thank you, Dr. Dingle for proving my point…..

Last edited by BHeart; 05-04-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:10 AM

Marsaydees
Dingle,

I appreciate your astute insight on the human anatomy, but in the middle of your great dissertation you must have forgot what my main point was. That regardless of how small (even you 11.5 milliseconds, as you claim) the advantage is, that the SB has the potential of providing a “real” not just "felt or perceived" advantage in the area of throttle input.

Oh, by the way, the part you also neglected to add is that once that 11.5millisecond difference is added to the through, the electronic signal input provides an additional tenth of a second increase to the response (assuming all other factor being held constant).

So thank you, Dr. Dingle for proving my point…..
Quoted for extreme stupidity.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by halteh
Newzchspy, I think you missed his point here. All things remaining equal the SB should have the advantage, that's what he's saying. I'm not going to sit here and argue whether this is true or not. I don't know enough about the SB or even cars in general to take a stab at this. No one here is saying the SB adds more HP/TQ/Speed etc over the tune.

The way I see it is if the SB makes your car "feel" a lot better than it's worth it for $300! How your car "feels" to you is an important factor. If the C55 came with a crappy plastic steering wheel I'd pay the $300 to have it replaced with the nice solid leather steering wheel that comes with the car. It won't add anything in terms of performance, but it certainly feels better.

I tested many cars before I bought my c55. Some faster, some slower but I ultimately landed on the c55 because it felt the best to me. If the SB makes the car feel the way you think it should feel than I don't see a problem with it.

For the record my car's completely stock.
OK Riddler, answer me this?? How and on what planet does the SB make the car faster/quicker without increasing traction, HP/TQ, weight or aerodynamics. Are you saying it'll increase the vital 60 foot time of the car when traction is important to the acceleration of the car. DB is absolutely correct above in his assumptions and analysis. ^^^ ALL any driver has to do is increase the V(velocity) of his foot movement to make up for that which the SB does electronically. After the "initial " pedal travel, the SB does nothing to make the car quicker. Even at the initial pedal travel, the car is no faster, you just have to work less to do the same work. That is what is being argued here and any person with a dither of engineering background will agree with me. Heck, even SB (again, I own one) admits that it ONLY makes the car feel faster because YOU as a driver have to press the pedal "less". I'd rather spring for the tune and get real HP and TQ that works. BUT, if it makes you happy having one, then spend your $340.00 and go for it. I'd spring for a Jerry Tune special at $300 bucks, BUT that's just me........

and in deference to Dingles great analysis: Here's to you Dingle
Attached Images  

Last edited by Newzchspy; 05-04-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:34 PM

C55 AMG
Quoted for extreme stupidity.
Saddest part is, those are your figures, not mine....
Old 05-04-2011, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Saddest part is, those are your figures, not mine....
Well if those are his and you have better, then dispute his?? The theme of this thread seems to be that the SB makes your car faster/quicker because it modifies the throttle response. If that's the case, then why doesn't SB on their website post any figures showing that the qtr mile or 0-60 is quicker because of the SB. They don't because they 1. cant and 2. wont because they dont have any figures to show that. If YOU feel that it makes your car quicker, then go and race a car without a SB and lets see?? Until I see some quantitative evidence that this is true, then let this rest.

In the meantime, Jerry Tune (EC) is having a great sale on tunes............. and I just saw that SB reduced their price down to $299.00 shipping included??

To quote LILBENZ230:" No need to try something that is well understood and proven to do nothing but amplify a signal. $300 is a lot to pay for an amplifier. I can achieve the same result by simply pressing the gas harder all the time. Pressing the gas harder (aka the SprintBooster effect) does make my car more fun to drive. It also increases tire wear and hurts fuel economy, but that's okay because I have that $300 and it buys a lot of fuel. This is not an opinion. I can think of a lot more productive ways to spend $300 on a W203 than that.

What is an opinion is that I think it's borderline con-artist to charge $300 for something that is arguably going to be even less effective than the completely ineffective tornado contraption you put in your intake. At least that is probably $39.95, and they'll double your order and give you a free flashlight. Since neither are going to make your car faster, what is the case for buying them? Placebo effect? Not for that kind of money.

You know what makes my W203 feel better and more fun to drive? A thorough detail. That's my kind of placebo - and it's a damn sight cheaper than a $300 signal amplifier."

Amen brother!!!

*** and FWIW, Kleemann also makes a Throttle Box for MB?? May want to try one of theirs??? *** http://shop.kleemann.dk/shop/throttle-box-377p.html

Last edited by Newzchspy; 05-04-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 PM

C55 AMG
Well if those are his and you have better, then dispute his?? The theme of this thread seems to be that the SB makes your car faster/quicker because it modifies the throttle response. If that's the case, then why doesn't SB on their website post any figures showing that the qtr mile or 0-60 is quicker because of the SB. They don't because they 1. cant and 2. wont because they dont have any figures to show that. If YOU feel that it makes your car quicker, then go and race a car without a SB and lets see?? Until I see some quantitative evidence that this is true, then let this rest.

In the meantime, Jerry Tune (EC) is having a great sale on tunes............. and I just saw that SB reduced their price down to $299.00 shipping included??

To quote LILBENZ230:" No need to try something that is well understood and proven to do nothing but amplify a signal. $300 is a lot to pay for an amplifier. I can achieve the same result by simply pressing the gas harder all the time. Pressing the gas harder (aka the SprintBooster effect) does make my car more fun to drive. It also increases tire wear and hurts fuel economy, but that's okay because I have that $300 and it buys a lot of fuel. This is not an opinion. I can think of a lot more productive ways to spend $300 on a W203 than that.

What is an opinion is that I think it's borderline con-artist to charge $300 for something that is arguably going to be even less effective than the completely ineffective tornado contraption you put in your intake. At least that is probably $39.95, and they'll double your order and give you a free flashlight. Since neither are going to make your car faster, what is the case for buying them? Placebo effect? Not for that kind of money.

You know what makes my W203 feel better and more fun to drive? A thorough detail. That's my kind of placebo - and it's a damn sight cheaper than a $300 signal amplifier."

Amen brother!!!

*** and FWIW, Kleemann also makes a Throttle Box for MB?? May want to try one of theirs??? *** http://shop.kleemann.dk/shop/throttle-box-377p.html
Newzchspy,

I'm not disputing Dingles figures (beyond adding the additional tenth of a second to his figures that the signal actually travels based on the SB), because regardless if they are 100% right or wrong they currently prove my point of what I was saying from the start. That regardless of how small, that when all other factors are held constant, that having an SB will improve throttle response by some degree.

Now the topic of "is it worth the money" is a completely separate issue that the individual has to make for themselves. If I didn't have "any" mods and was looking for one that would improve my HP/TQ then I would be looking for a tune vs. a SB.

But if you already have a tune, and want a mod that can improve your throttle response then SB is a way of getting that done. And that by their own graph, it can provide an increase to your throttle input by .1sec.

That's all I have been saying since the first post. I stated up front that I was not doing a comparsion between a tune and SB. I have strictly been stating that a SB does provide a tangible benefit (regardless of how small) beyond the preceived benefit that everyone loves and talks about on these threads. Now how all of that has turned into this crazy series of back and forth over something that I have never implied is beyond me.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 PM

Marsaydees
Newzchspy,

I'm not disputing Dingles figures (beyond adding the additional tenth of a second to his figures that the signal actually travels based on the SB), because regardless if they are 100% right or wrong they currently prove my point of what I was saying from the start. That regardless of how small, that when all other factors are held constant, that having an SB will improve throttle response by some degree.

Now the topic of "is it worth the money" is a completely separate issue that the individual has to make for themselves. If I didn't have "any" mods and was looking for one that would improve my HP/TQ then I would be looking for a tune vs. a SB.

But if you already have a tune, and want a mod that can improve your throttle response then SB is a way of getting that done. And that by their own graph, it can provide an increase to your throttle input by .1sec.

That's all I have been saying since the first post. I stated up front that I was not doing a comparsion between a tune and SB. I have strictly been stating that a SB does provide a tangible benefit (regardless of how small) beyond the preceived benefit that everyone loves and talks about on these threads. Now how all of that has turned into this crazy series of back and forth over something that I have never implied is beyond me.
Were you ever diagnosed with a learning disability in your adolescent years?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a Sprintbooster worth it?