C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

My Powerchip tune vs EC Tune vs OE tuning Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 '02
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
yeah i know..but there also plagued with a lot of mechanical problems like splinter mentioned. There mechanical problems are as bad as our electronic problems. Bad hfp, bad vanos seal, bad waste gates...turbos going out.

if i get one imma get it with warranty and leave it stock until the warranty runs out.
I heard the vanos seal was a design problem for quite some time, figured they would done something about it. I read it when I was considering a m3 before. WG and turbos would be a nice upgrade for more power but that will cost a bundle for sure... be nice to pop in one of those watercooled BB turbos
Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by ML500K
I heard the vanos seal was a design problem for quite some time, figured they would done something about it. I read it when I was considering a m3 before. WG and turbos would be a nice upgrade for more power but that will cost a bundle for sure... be nice to pop in one of those watercooled BB turbos
i know the vanos was really bad in the e46's but even the e92 and e90's get them once in awhile. Problem with upgrading turbos is the fuel...since its DI, you can't just pop in bigger injectors.

I don't think anyone's figured out how to add more fuel with aftermarket turbos.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:15 AM

C32 '02
i know the vanos was really bad in the e46's but even the e92 and e90's get them once in awhile. Problem with upgrading turbos is the fuel...since its DI, you can't just pop in bigger injectors.

I don't think anyone's figured out how to add more fuel with aftermarket turbos.
right, better to have someone iron out all the bugs. i had to learn it the hard way
Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ML500K
right, better to have someone iron out all the bugs. i had to learn it the hard way
yeah i'm on e90post.com every day...reading up on the n54.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
I always liked the 335i also, so much that I had to test drive one of them a couple of months back. Found a fully-loaded facelifted CPO-ed 09 for $44K

The car felt stronger from a dead stop than my then stock C32. Minimal turbo lag, good handling, , nice steering wheel, sleek looking, etc. But for $44K? could have gotten 08/09 C63 for that price.

Congrats on the house, Mike! Funny that you mention 911 Turbo! Because that's what my weekend toy would be in the very very far future

There's a local 96 Guards Red 993 Turbo for sale for $62.5K and 45K miles. Maybe one day...
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM

C32 '02
Originally Posted by ddtham
I always liked the 335i also, so much that I had to test drive one of them a couple of months back. Found a fully-loaded facelifted CPO-ed 09 for $44K

The car felt stronger from a dead stop than my then stock C32. Minimal turbo lag, good handling, , nice steering wheel, sleek looking, etc. But for $44K? could have gotten 08/09 C63 for that price.

Congrats on the house, Mike! Funny that you mention 911 Turbo! Because that's what my weekend toy would be in the very very far future

There's a local 96 Guards Red 993 Turbo for sale for $62.5K and 45K miles. Maybe one day...
wow, that expensive huh....for sure I'll take the C63 over the 335i any day
Old 08-12-2010, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks tham. Yeah always wanted a 911 turbo and its a car within affordable dream reach. Then again I would be afraid to drive it. I heard a porsche bolt is like $50, or something insane like that. I love the power of the e55, but the car is too big for corning. Its horrible in the corners, especially with the air suspension.

I'll probably wait till the cpo refresh ones get cheaper. I dont want to buy a early model like i did with the c32.

The hidden costs of owning a home is killing me though, that and the stupid school assessment tax, which is $2k. I don't even have any kides, so i'm paying for a school i dont even use.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 08-12-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
thanks tham. Yeah always wanted a 911 turbo and its a car within affordable dream reach. Then again I would be afraid to drive it. I heard a porsche bolt is like $50, or something insane like that. I love the power of the e55, but the car is too big for corning. Its horrible in the corners, especially with the air suspension.

I'll probably wait till the cpo refresh ones get cheaper. I dont want to buy a early model like i did with the c32.

The hidden costs of owning a home is killing me though, that and the stupid school assessment tax, which is $2k. I don't even have any kides, so i'm paying for a school i dont even use.
My dream as well, a Porsche TT (preferrably with the Sport Chrono Package) and an 10 or 11 model............maybe someday!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:16 PM

C32, 911 SC
I share the same feelings with C32 owners who don't want to "upgrade" to E55 I think. The car is just too big for me, even though straight line acceleration is addictive. I think it gets old after a while.

I think a direct upgrade would be C63 or M3 Sedan, but then I would rather keep the 32 and save for that 911 Turbo that I always wanted (I heard the 996 is extremely reliable for a sports car). 996 can be had for $38K nowadays with relatively low mileage and good documentation. Imagine that with GT700 package
Turn that into a weekend driver and you're set!

I don't even want to look at my house's property tax... The value went down by a bit, but the assessment went up and everyone said that owning a house is a good investment while you're young...
Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
I tracked down jeremey...he started own tuning company and does all the tuning for gintani. Gintani are the ones thats been building Supercharged e92 m3's and turbo e46 m3's. Once I save enough i'll post an update with his tune, to see if it fixed my problems or not.
gintani's the one with **** load of blown engines on the e92. **** load of back story behind all these tuning shops. LMAO...

Last edited by FrankW; 08-12-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:36 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
I share the same feelings with C32 owners who don't want to "upgrade" to E55 I think. The car is just too big for me, even though straight line acceleration is addictive. I think it gets old after a while.

I think a direct upgrade would be C63 or M3 Sedan, but then I would rather keep the 32 and save for that 911 Turbo that I always wanted (I heard the 996 is extremely reliable for a sports car). 996 can be had for $38K nowadays with relatively low mileage and good documentation. Imagine that with GT700 package

I don't even want to look at my house's property tax... The value went down by a bit, but the assessment went up and everyone said that owning a house is a good investment while you're young...
C32 is small, handles well when upgraded with suspension bits, and fairs decently in mpg for it's power. thought a about the C63, but the mpg is just horrible. friend who got one said he only manage around 160miles per tank of gas around town in SF. and I'm not a big fan of the heavy 6.2 up front. The M3...my best childhood friend's got one (lemoned the E92 and got a E90 now). I drive that often, but I can't really stand it as a daily and it attracts too much attention with his eisenmann exhaust.

for me at least IMO the best upgrade would be the IS-F. great mpg, great power, 2010 model has the LSD, and very understated. going to the Lexus test drive event putting the IS350 F-sport on the auto-x really surprised me what the current IS chassi can do with good tuning.

I drove MJ50's monster E55 before as well. The straight line flatout is amazing, but I was scared when I put it onto the on-ramps/off-ramps. The size of the car wasn't a big deal for me since I'm very used to our family E39 beater with 170k miles.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
[

for me at least IMO the best upgrade would be the IS-F. great mpg, great power, 2010 model has the LSD, and very understated. going to the Lexus test drive event putting the IS350 F-sport on the auto-x really surprised me what the current IS chassi can do with good tuning.

** I did the IF-F Lexus event last year and the IS-F is nothing to sneeze at. Its fast, quick, is reliable and filled with a bunch of electronic goodies!! *** Plus like Frank said, for 2010 its got the LSD and for 2011, its really very nice!!! Great , fast reliable car!! Not a C63 BUT handles better than one for sure!!

Last edited by Newzchspy; 08-12-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i'm positive equity and still decent amount above my buy price. I want to cash out in a few yrs or maybe acquire another property and rent out the house...but it sucks not having any cash to buy your toys anymore.

Thats why I want the c32 last longer and the fact we can crap resale value for our cars.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FrankW
gintani's the one with **** load of blown engines on the e92. **** load of back story behind all these tuning shops. LMAO...
eh...we'll see by tomorrow. I got some good feed back from other people he tuned on this forum. I hate the treatment i received at powerchip and I gave EC a shot, so Jeremy is pretty much my last option.

If this was a honda or evo, I can probably go to 50 different people. Unfortunately, we're in small niche market, so our options are limited.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 PM

C32, 911 SC
I haven't thought about IS-F yet. I saw a pearl white with gunmetal wheels the other day and it looks really nice! MPG must be great with 8-speed also!

How's the moddability on them though? Do you think a stock IS-F would pull on pulley, intake, tune C32? Maybe one with heat soak like mine

But they do look understated compared to M3 or other euro performers. I also think that C63 is pretty understated to the general public until you let the exhaust roar.

I forgot about C63's gas mileage and couldn't agree more, most owners would argue "why buy a 450 plus HP car when you worry about gas?" But then again, it gets old when you have to stop at the gas station every three days.

I think E55 might be a dime in the dozen in Cali, but if you drive something like that here, it might draw unwanted attention to yourself. I would rather just blend in with the crowd and I think the understated C32 serves its purpose well. Most people here drive Subaru wagons, pick-up trucks, Jeeps and the kind, so a big expensive looking sedans like E55 or E60 M5 would be an overkill for a DD (IMO).
Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
never ran the is-f, but they should have a lot of tuner choices backing them up. if you are making 410+ at the crank you can still hang with the likes of the M3, is-f, and stock C63. granted I jumped ahead, but still hold a good 3 car length on a manual E92 M3 up to triple digits. is-f standard wheels are the multi spoke gunmetal BBS.

C63 is not understated...C63 is ugly until you get the DTM Safety car bumper. lol

for the money of a new C63 you can pick up a used E60 M5 that gets similar gas mileage. doesn't matter how million way one cuts it...the M5 > C63 lol. some parts of that "don't buy a high hp car if you can't afford gas" is true tho, but when M3 and IS-F can get decent and good mpg...why can't the C63?? lol and then AMG is going back on their words by going to replace the 6.2 with another force induction 5.5 V8 again.

Last edited by FrankW; 08-12-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
eh...we'll see by tomorrow. I got some good feed back from other people he tuned on this forum. I hate the treatment i received at powerchip and I gave EC a shot, so Jeremy is pretty much my last option.

If this was a honda or evo, I can probably go to 50 different people. Unfortunately, we're in small niche market, so our options are limited.
I've done extremely well with Jeremy and he has done a fantastic job tuning our cars. Results usually speak for themselves and recorded data proves that on Dragtimes. Jeremy has the fastest and quickest E55 with no nitrous on DT, #1 spot for the CLS55 and SL55 on DT, and many other E55's around the country.

IMO Jeremy's custom tunes have spoken volumes about what he's capable of doing. His work ethics and dedication is unsurpassed by any I've seen with only 1 goal, a powerful, reliable, and great daily drive-ability. I could give you a list of satisfied members here and I'm sure they'll all say the same thing....Jeremy is awesome. There will always be some haters on the board regardless but in the end results will be the final word.

Just for reference, my car has made over 20 passes in the 10's now with the quickest one at 10.776. Every single pass has been on Jeremy's tune without a single hiccup. I've ran my car against several members here during events and they all agree that my car is definitely running strong. He has also tuned my friend’s car (Mikesamg) which has a OE tuning custom tune, VRP shorty headers, 180 ASP pulley, and a H/E. He has gone 11.40x at Sacramento and 11.37 in higher DA at Famoso, once again results speaking volumes.

If you ever have any question please feel free to contact me. Like you I have experienced both LET (EC) and Powerchips with similar feelings towards both. People come on here giving their opinions only by what they hear through biased opinions and haven't experienced it for themselves.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bassn_07
I've done extremely well with Jeremy and he has done a fantastic job tuning our cars. Results usually speak for themselves and recorded data proves that on Dragtimes. Jeremy has the fastest and quickest E55 with no nitrous on DT, #1 spot for the CLS55 and SL55 on DT, and many other E55's around the country.

IMO Jeremy's custom tunes have spoken volumes about what he's capable of doing. His work ethics and dedication is unsurpassed by any I've seen with only 1 goal, a powerful, reliable, and great daily drive-ability. I could give you a list of satisfied members here and I'm sure they'll all say the same thing....Jeremy is awesome. There will always be some haters on the board regardless but in the end results will be the final word.

Just for reference, my car has made over 20 passes in the 10's now with the quickest one at 10.776. Every single pass has been on Jeremy's tune without a single hiccup. I've ran my car against several members here during events and they all agree that my car is definitely running strong. He has also tuned my friend’s car (Mikesamg) which has a OE tuning custom tune, VRP shorty headers, 180 ASP pulley, and a H/E. He has gone 11.40x at Sacramento and 11.37 in higher DA at Famoso, once again results speaking volumes.

If you ever have any question please feel free to contact me. Like you I have experienced both LET (EC) and Powerchips with similar feelings towards both. People come on here giving their opinions only by what they hear through biased opinions and haven't experienced it for themselves.
Thanks for the reassurance. It just sucks that his shop and I are literally on the opposite ends of socal. So i have a long drive tomorrow. My appt is at 1pm tomorrow. Come by if your in the area, I would love to hear about your ride in person.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As for jeremy and powerchip...i read through some of it on the bimmerboost and m5boards and i stopped reading after the first few pages. It was too much third party he said she said stuff.

To be honest, at this point I dont really care. I'm only concerned whether he can fix my tune and get some good power out of it.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Thanks for the reassurance. It just sucks that his shop and I are literally on the opposite ends of socal. So i have a long drive tomorrow. My appt is at 1pm tomorrow. Come by if your in the area, I would love to hear about your ride in person.
I would love to but unfortunately my drive is a bit further than yours. Good luck with your tuning tomorrow and us all know how it goes.

I also started reading all that garbage by PC and it's very disappointing that they have stooped to this level. It's obvious they're very desperate right now and will most likely say anything to stay afloat. Matt from PC actually contacted me through pm asking if I wanted a free tune, I obviously passed on it for several reasons? All though I will thank them for giving me the opportunity to meet Jeremy.....
Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 AM

C32 '02
As for jeremy and powerchip...i read through some of it on the bimmerboost and m5boards and i stopped reading after the first few pages. It was too much third party he said she said stuff.

To be honest, at this point I dont really care. I'm only concerned whether he can fix my tune and get some good power out of it.
Good luck!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
..The hidden costs of owning a home is killing me though, that and the stupid school assessment tax, which is $2k..
Didn’t the Regents of the University of California confer a subsidized degree upon you?
Now it’s payback time. :)

Was up at Tejon Ranch this morning on business.
Contemplated crashing your party at Gintani en route back home.

How is that new tune working for you??
Old 08-13-2010, 11:21 PM

C32, 911 SC
Good luck and please keep us updated!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:47 AM

C32AMG.335 e92 fbo.protomotive996 gt2
No need to upgrade the fuel pump or injectors.I tried a Jerry tune with 185mm,the car ran rich 10.8 AFR.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
I think a direct upgrade would be C63 or M3 Sedan, but then I would rather keep the 32 and save for that 911 Turbo that I always wanted (I heard the 996 is extremely reliable for a sports car). 996 can be had for $38K nowadays with relatively low mileage and good documentation.
If by 996 in the quote above you mean 996TT (which is how I read it), I think your price figure is extremely optimistic. In the last 12-18 months, prices have come up from early 2009 levels. For a nice 996TT "with relatively low mileage and good documentation" I'd say you're realistically looking at $45k and up, unless you find an absolute steal.

Still a low cost of entry into a tremendous sports car... been watching that market myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My Powerchip tune vs EC Tune vs OE tuning Experience