C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

What's Next after C32/C55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
What's Next after C32/C55?

As some of you might know, I purchased my C32 three months ago for a great deal and low-ish mileage (76K miles) from a family member who owned it stock for six years.

Within a month, I modded it to my sig and just waiting to install EC HE and get dyno numbers. The car runs great (knock on wood) and I couldn't be happier.

The car currently has 85K miles (2000 miles road trip) and plenty of joy-driving . As I was pondering aimlessly this morning, I began to think about the perfect car for myself in the next 2-3 years. I guess my "must haves" are creature comfort, modding potentials, handling, sound and perhaps a manual gearbox.

I am looking for a car that's pretty simple for DIY jobs and not overly-complicated like most modern cars and can be owned without an extended warranty.

Some possibilities:
- 55K cars (awesome modding potential but probable Airmatic issues really kills it for me, is ABC any better?). Another family member has a W211 E500 and just had $3800 bill for Airmatic that's covered by a warranty, so owning one without a warranty might be out of the question.

- W204 C63 (perfect size, good modding potentials, but uglier than anything else)

- E92/90 M3 (looks great, perfect size, minimal modding potential unless you go SC?)

- E60 M5 (very fast stock, but complicated and not a DIY-er?)

- 996 Turbo (awesome modding options, handles like it's on a rail with awd, manual, quite reliable, etc) Really can't find any fault with this one, except that I would feel really bad about daily driving them.

- HPF E46 M3 (saw some awesome Youtube videos, but how reliable are they?)

- IS-F (FrankW roots for this )

- 335i (very potent car but there might be some issues if you go modded?)

I am sure a lot of C32/C55 owners ponder about the same thing or in the same boat. So, please share what your next car will be and help educate fellow members.

Last edited by ddtham; 09-13-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Volvo
mm... Well I like the W204, But hate the new one coming out in 2014.... with what they have shown us so far, the W204 would probley be the last C class I Buy. C63 is a win pretty much all the way around (like a honda, Its not great at one thing, Its good in all categories)
The 996T, While ago was debating getting one, but decide to invest my money instead, Have a couple friends who have them, Very cool cars, Expensive though if something breaks and maintenance is aloways a *****, Have a friend who always has a clutch issue with his. But a big + in Modding Speed wise and Handling wise)

The 335I, an Ok looking car in my book, Can do simple mods to bring the HP up (Like ours) but there some older 335's that have a Oil issue with their turbos... also they are Direct Fuel Injected and i think the mods that are out there right now have maxed this system out (As far as I know) so to sum up... Consider the 335i Like a newer C32, Can mod up to a certain point....and make good hp...

The E92 and The M5, Both sound great.... The M5 sounds liek a F1 car with the exhaust modified, but consider these cars more like the C55, You can do some slap on bolt ons and make some great power and they both look great (Handle Great) but thats about it, unless you want to spend big money on a forced induction (7k-15k)

IS-F - I have an LS460 Lexus and love it, The IS-F has pretty much the same engine, but heavely tuned by yamaha, Very reliable, I would never worry about any electric problems (My LS has so many dang buttons on it, non of which failed since I have owned it 2007) one thing, Not many mods....... So This I would pick if you want something thats pretty fast, reliable, and can daily drive and your really not going to mod it.

HPF M3 E46 - I don't know to much about the forced induction M3's But has a regular E46, Get the manual and you really just need to watch the Vanos system and the Throttle bodys... OTher than that Great car, Good Sound!

Those are my 2 Cents

Last edited by OverDrive; 09-13-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i say 996 tt. Everything else is more of sideways upgrade.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Talking

You might call me crazy but I will buy 2 cars in the next 2 years:
1. A CLK63 Black series
2. A low mileage C55 and tuned it completely suspension, kompressor and so on aiming ''for only'' 565hp so it will be will be very reliable
Old 09-13-2010, 04:07 PM

2004 Audi S4
Since you didn't say anything about a four door, I gotta go with the CLK63. I've personally wanted that thing since it came out and hopefully I will have one myself in a few years. Not to mention a family on the way...
Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Location: Manhattan upper eastide, New York City moved back to south florida currently
MooseJaws 04 C32
2008 w204 c63 amg with p30 package artic white on black nappa
Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Alternatives

[QUOTE=ddtham;4247535]As some of you might know, I purchased my C32 three months ago for a great deal and low-ish mileage (76K miles) from a family member who owned it stock for six years.

Within a month, I modded it to my sig and just waiting to install EC HE and get dyno numbers. The car runs great (knock on wood) and I couldn't be happier.

I am looking for a car that's pretty simple for DIY jobs and not overly-complicated like most modern cars and can be owned without an extended warranty.

Some possibilities:
- 55K cars (awesome modding potential but probable Airmatic issues really k
- W204 C63 (perfect size, good modding potentials, but uglier than anything else)

- E92/90 M3 (looks great, perfect size, minimal modding potential unless you go SC?)

- 996 Turbo (awesome modding options, handles like it's on a rail with awd, manual, quite reliable, etc) Really can't find any fault with this one, except that I would feel really bad about daily driving them.

- IS-F (FrankW roots for this ) *** I do as well, great car, limited mod potential, BUT reliable as stink and handles great *** Will probably be killed in a few years by Lexus, BUT the 2010-2011 with the Torsen LTD is a great car ***

** I love the Porsche 2010 TT, awesome car..........BUT I too would feel bad about having as a DD ** One with Sport Chrono would even be better!!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
i wont be buying a car for a while unless mine dies. yay for tons of loans and no job lol

...but if i COULD buy one in the next year or two, i'd probably want a CLS 55 or an Audi S5
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
My immediate next car (as in at the end of this year) will be an Mk1 Audi TT (first gen). I need something to split the miles with on the C55 - I have a long highway commute to work. Seems to be somewhat reliable (with your usual maintenance and things to look out for). I was going to go for a Mini Cooper S, but the interior on the Audi gets me much more than the Cooper (surprisingly, the TT interior looks modern, whereas other Audi's from that era look veryyyyyyy outdated). The prices of the Mk1 have gone through the floor, and the 6 speed quattro awd just sounds like so much fun....

Long term is to buy my dream car, which is a second gen Viper GTS. Going to be aiming for the 99-02 era.

After that, well there's too many to count, but the previous is the most important before all of them.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by ddtham
- 55K cars
If you want a complete sleeper and stick with MB.

- W204 C63
Sportiest, easy to make awesome power. Going to be a lot cheaper in the next couple of years.

BMW stigma, boy racer looks and limited performance outside of the track.
Only option for modding is a stroker kit. A friend of mine is selling his modded (mainly looks) e60 m5 right now if you're interested.
Cop magnet, but best upgrade in the bunch.
Not very, and the e46 is a ricer upgrade now that kids can afford them.
- IS-F (FrankW roots for this )
Looks the ugliest and not that fun to drive. My friend bought one new as soon as they came out and he only put 4k miles on it since...drive the car if you like it! He's trading it in eventually for the audi r8.
Sleeper and looks pretty good in the e92 style...e90 is horrid IMO. My friend has the e92 335i and its very quick out of the box, handles well and responds to upgrades well. The only oil cooling issues you'll have is if you track your car. If you want a DD and for some spirited driving you can't go wrong.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 PM

c55 amg
Would love to have a 2010 E63 coupe .
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 PM

2004 Audi S4
Originally Posted by OverDrive
mm... Well I like the W204, But hate the new one coming out in 2014.... with what they have shown us so far, the W204 would probley be the last C class I Buy. C63 is a win pretty much all the way around (like a honda, Its not great at one thing, Its good in all categories)
The 996T, While ago was debating getting one, but decide to invest my money instead, Have a couple friends who have them, Very cool cars, Expensive though if something breaks and maintenance is aloways a *****, Have a friend who always has a clutch issue with his. But a big + in Modding Speed wise and Handling wise)

The 335I, an Ok looking car in my book, Can do simple mods to bring the HP up (Like ours) but there some older 335's that have a Oil issue with their turbos... also they are Direct Fuel Injected and i think the mods that are out there right now have maxed this system out (As far as I know) so to sum up... Consider the 335i Like a newer C32, Can mod up to a certain point....and make good hp...

The E92 and The M5, Both sound great.... The M5 sounds liek a F1 car with the exhaust modified, but consider these cars more like the C55, You can do some slap on bolt ons and make some great power and they both look great (Handle Great) but thats about it, unless you want to spend big money on a forced induction (7k-15k)

IS-F - I have an LS460 Lexus and love it, The IS-F has pretty much the same engine, but heavely tuned by yamaha, Very reliable, I would never worry about any electric problems (My LS has so many dang buttons on it, non of which failed since I have owned it 2007) one thing, Not many mods....... So This I would pick if you want something thats pretty fast, reliable, and can daily drive and your really not going to mod it.

HPF M3 E46 - I don't know to much about the forced induction M3's But has a regular E46, Get the manual and you really just need to watch the Vanos system and the Throttle bodys... OTher than that Great car, Good Sound!

Those are my 2 Cents
Can you post a link to what you have seen from 2014?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 PM

i would go for a C63 and mod the hill out of it , i used to own a 190_2,3_16, and a C36 , and now i own a C55 , i drove on our race track most of the cars u have listed up there and also on the road , i would still vouch for the C63 ad a daily driver AKA powerhouse that will carry the whole famaly and till be alot of fun
Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I would go with a C55 Touring (station wagon) and have it super charged. That would be the ultimate sleeper and I would love to see the faces of people getting beat by a wagon. Maybe I could do an engine swap on a w203, m113k motor, similar to what sunilp did.

or R8, CLS55, CL65, CLK Black series, but probably not any time soon.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 AM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I would go with a C55 Touring (station wagon) and have it super charged.
Any reason you'd prefer this to an E55 Estate?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
your very first "must have" is "creature comfort", yet you only list small cars (yes, M5s and Es are small, sorry fellas. I grew up with Detroit iron. )

why not try an S-class AMG, or S600? S55s can be had pretty cheap for the amount of car you get, and the potential is, well, ridiculous. A CL AMG or 600 would be fun if you don't need the back seat or all your friends have *really* short legs.

You won't find a more comfortable and roomy incredibly fast class of car.

Of course, they aren't the best at track days, unless the track is about 1,720 feet long and perfectly straight.

and I am not biased. at all. ok, maybe a bit.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:41 AM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by jturkel
i wont be buying a car for a while unless mine dies. yay for tons of loans and no job lol

...but if i COULD buy one in the next year or two, i'd probably want a CLS 55 or an Audi S5
Josh,

If I have a student loan from a med school, I won't be buying anything either But once, I am done though ... 911 GT2 here I come maybe?? at least you have something to look forward too! Good luck!

Originally Posted by i_am_amused
your very first "must have" is "creature comfort", yet you only list small cars (yes, M5s and Es are small, sorry fellas. I grew up with Detroit iron. )

why not try an S-class AMG, or S600? S55s can be had pretty cheap for the amount of car you get, and the potential is, well, ridiculous. A CL AMG or 600 would be fun if you don't need the back seat or all your friends have *really* short legs.

You won't find a more comfortable and roomy incredibly fast class of car.

Of course, they aren't the best at track days, unless the track is about 1,720 feet long and perfectly straight.

and I am not biased. at all. ok, maybe a bit.
Good point, I am not that big of a guy (5'10", 185) though, so W203 is snug for me. While, W211 or E60 might be a bit too big. My X5 feels huge already, so S class will be an overkill imo.

CLK63 BS is an amazing car and will hold its value very well. Peter North owns one also, so that might be a plus

Does anyone know a car that sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRQsfTUw80U but a lot cheaper? I never get tired of watching that video.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:08 AM

Volvo
Side note to another question that was asked, Keep in mind this is a render of what it could look like as far as the new c class ( I hope not though)
Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
what's next after my C55? I bought a 2011 E90 M3 Sedan with Competition Package. Its a great car, and it feels good to have both the AMG and M in the garage!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Good point, I am not that big of a guy (5'10", 185) though, so W203 is snug for me. While, W211 or E60 might be a bit too big. My X5 feels huge already, so S class will be an overkill imo.
It's interesting how people the same size can have different spatial perspectives. I wonder if it's a genetic thing, a learned environment/experience thing, or both.

We're almost the same build (5'10", 200), and my wife is almost 5'10" () and we both find the C-Class line to small. An AMG that small would be a gas for sure, but not as a daily driver in rush hour (for me). An E-Class AMG would be a better daily driver, but I find them a bit on the small side (co-worker has a W211 E55).

Along with the extra hassle parking a mile-long sedan, the other (big) negative for my S is that it is too long to fit in my side of the garage by about a foot (minivan for wife and kids gets the "good side").

Also, your friends (family?) will much prefer riding in S-Class style. People love being able to lounge around in the back of my S55.

Did I mention my kids can stand up and change clothes back there? Who needs a phuquing minivan when you can have a cavernous S?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 AM

2004 Audi S4
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I would go with a C55 Touring (station wagon) and have it super charged. That would be the ultimate sleeper and I would love to see the faces of people getting beat by a wagon. Maybe I could do an engine swap on a w203, m113k motor, similar to what sunilp did.

or R8, CLS55, CL65, CLK Black series, but probably not any time soon.
But dude, you will be driving a station wagon...

Side note to another question that was asked, Keep in mind this is a render of what it could look like as far as the new c class ( I hope not though)
That is horrendous!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Volvo
Agreed, So if turns out to look like that, Like stated before the W204 will be the last C Class I buy, Im an owner who keeps there cars for a long time.....
Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by whatthecrunchyo
But dude, you will be driving a station wagon...
i'd definitely rock an E55 wagon.....ever see a station wagon blow away a lambo? that's what i'm talkin about. multifunctional
Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
IS-F for a daily driver thats reliable
335i for a daily driver with a extended warranty
Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
It's interesting how people the same size can have different spatial perspectives. I wonder if it's a genetic thing, a learned environment/experience thing, or both.
I think it has to be a learned environment. Growing up, the largest car my parents ever had for us was 280GE. We're used to E-class sizes (that thing before W123, W123, W124) and used to have W116 (the old s class, which is basically the size of a W203 now ). But then again I am currently single (separated) and don't have a lot of friends . So, no need for a huge back seat.

Originally Posted by jturkel
i'd definitely rock an E55 wagon.....ever see a station wagon blow away a lambo? that's what i'm talkin about. multifunctional
C55 Wagon with Kleeman SC would be a dream for me. Might actually be cheaper to buy C240 wagon and C55 sedan and mash them together.

Agreed, So if turns out to look like that, Like stated before the W204 will be the last C Class I buy, Im an owner who keeps there cars for a long time.....
Good grief, that looks like an ugly child of W204 and the new R-class.

Originally Posted by moosejaw
IS-F for a daily driver thats reliable
335i for a daily driver with a extended warranty
Isn't it true that Bimmer dealers are harsh on modded cars which requires warranty work, though? Nice 55K, btw

Last edited by ddtham; 09-14-2010 at 06:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's Next after C32/C55?