C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Tranny flush: harmful to idle with no fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32
Tranny flush: harmful to idle with no fluid?

I have a fluid extractor and I've decided to pull all the transmission fluid out of the pan and replace with fresh fluid. I expect to draw out and replace about half of the 9 liters or so in the transmission in this manner, realizing the remainder of the fluid is in the torque converter, lines, cooler, pump, etc.

If I started the car and allowed it to idle for a minute, would the transmission pump more fluid into the pan so I could get more out? Would this be harmful to the transmission?

I'd love to get as much fluid replaced as possible, but not at the risk of doing any harm.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
The pan’s fluid reservoir supplies the inlet side of the circuit. You’ll find it only holds ~four quarts.

It’s prudent to keep the pump awash in ATF at all times. Remove the upper line at the radiator’s integral cooler. Direct the spent fluid into a suitable recycling container. Refill and shut off as required -every few quarts- until only fresh fluid is observed being discharged.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
You have to drop the pan either way to replace the filter. Mercedes has two ways of doing the fluid change. One is to drop the pan and replace the fluid that came out. Another is to drop the pan and replace the fluid that came out and then remove a hose that goes out to the radiator and run the car in each gear and replace a bit after every gear. It's a scary job to do and that's why most people go with just draining what they can get out of the pan and just replacing the filter and gasket.

Good luck!! I still have this as one of my pending jobs and by the way, use oem ATF only. No need to cheap out on this fluid, on a few others you can find a replacement, but just a good rule to go by.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:37 PM

C32
I recently got a C32 and was surprised to find out that there is no tranny dipstick. I can see what appears to be a transmission fill tube but I didn't have any luck getting the cap off. It does say "service by MB only" or something to that effect

Where is the best place to get a filter kit for the transmission? NAPA doesn't even have a listing for one
Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
i used the method of cracking the lines and running the fluid into a container. took less than 1 minute to go thru the gears and got almost a full gallon out. didnt hurt the car at all
Old 09-19-2010, 10:31 PM

C32
This is no doubt a silly question, but how do you add the transmission fluid? Rather...how do you remove the cap (the one that says service by MB only) to add the transmission fluid. How do you check the proper level?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
You

break the red tamper tab and pull the black cap off.
Fluid goes in slowly via a small funnel.
You will need to purchase the special dipstick.
You can use valvoline maxlife fluid it is 722.6 nag1 spec.
Filter kit and gasket and new tab are sold on www.autohausaz.com
Diy for 722.6 trans can be found on w210 section diy area on www.benzworld.org
Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 PM

C32
This place is a wealth of information. Ohlord, thanks for the info. Where can I find the special dipstick?