C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Audio/Video help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Audio/Video help needed

Okay... So my 6 disc changer recently started displaying an error that magazine was empty. I thought it had something to do with the burnt CDs, so tried using actual store bought CD's (the few that I have) but still no cigar.

I was thinking about changing out the factory head unit to an aftermarket brand rather than investing in another changer.

I went to a couple of car electronic shops around Nashville to get some estimates. Both places suggested the Alpine INA-W900 unit. Each place had conflicting messages of what it would take to install. One said it's a simple installation; the other said it's complex due to the fiber cables and that they'd need to run new wire and bypass the factory amp.

Does anyone have knowledge of what it requires to upgrade to aftermarket H/U? How do you know if your car has a bose system? I have a 02 C32.

At any rate... after more research on the Alpine INA-W900, it appears that it does not have the feature that I want such as built in Bluetooth, ability to read AVI, DIVX movie files, also video in HD with ability to play video files while driving. (I heard this was easy to bypass)

I've found a couple of off brands that seem like pretty good options from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

There's a couple others from iOffer that appear to have what I want:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/130160217

Does anyone have positive/negative experiences with off brand Car electronics?

I thought this would be a simple upgrade but it appears more complicated than I had hoped. Any suggestions or information YOU ALL can recommend is greatly appreciated.

Oh.. I originally posted this in the Audio/Electronics section without any responses so I thought I'd to the fellow C32/C55 owners for advice before I said forget and just purchase a replacement fiber optic disc changer.

Please help!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:21 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Read up on this first.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ts-images.html
Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
The CD Changers are notorious for going bad. The one in my car has been replaced and I currently don't even use it.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I'm sure you can find some one selling theirs, I would put an ad in the classified sections. I bet you could get one for around a $100.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I have a extra one if you need $100 Shipped
Old 09-27-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Just a heads up that I get that error (No CD in changer... or something) every now and then and all I do is remove all CD's put it back in with all slots empty and you'll hear it work through each slot for a while(1 minute or so). After its done I take it back out and load it with CDs and it works again.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by testknight
Just a heads up that I get that error (No CD in changer... or something) every now and then and all I do is remove all CD's put it back in with all slots empty and you'll hear it work through each slot for a while(1 minute or so). After its done I take it back out and load it with CDs and it works again.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try to see if it works. Crossing my fingers!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:17 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by doom239
I have a extra one if you need $100 Shipped
I might take you up on that offer. Let me see if the advise to take out all the CD's and then put them back in helps. I'll be in touch.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 PM

C32 AMG
[quote=AMG_Freak;4272611]Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try to see if it works. Crossing my fingers![/quot

Doesn't hurt to try before assuming you need a replacement, but it didn't worked for me.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:58 PM

C32 AMG
This is what happens when you want a quick solution for MUSIC

Originally Posted by doom239
Thanks this helps alot. Don't know why it didn't pull up when I typed a search. LOL.

Anyways.. I'll do another search for "off brand" head units with compatible wiring harness, most of this thread refers to AVID and Z3 which doesn't have the amenities that I want. Sucks because I'd prefer known quality manufactures such as Alpine and Clarion.. too bad they're behind the curve in technology.

As far as I know they don't make HD 800x400 HU's just yet. ***PLEASE let me know if ANYONE knows differently*** There's no question that HD is better for video just don't know how much audio quality you have to sacrifice.

Also Alpine, Kenwood and Clarion doesn't support PIP which allows you to see your Navi and a smaller screen that displays your video files at the same time. Pretty niffty IMO..

Upside for the "BIG 3" are that they make HardDrives which is great for people that have alot of media like me.

Off to "study" the THREADS!