C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Kenne Bell Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by mustang281man

MORE AIRFLOW = MORE HORSEPOWER
This statement by itself is not true my friend.

Just because the supercharger can supply more airflow does NOT by itself imply more horsepower.

Now if you are talking about the entire engine, aka heads, valves, cams, intake and exhaust system, then YES I agree whole hardly

Sometimes bigger is NOT better in the realm of engines.

Just ask the guys in old small blocks that put in a BIG cams and see what that did for their performance

Or stuffing on a HUGE throttle body and leaving the rest of engine stock

Edit: Please also do not forget to upgrade the fuel system as well to satisfy that addtional airflow, aka larger injectors, fuel pump, and fuel lines.

Ask me how I know, ha, ha

Last edited by MRAMG1; 10-20-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32, '08 ML63
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Good question.

I'd expect it's unlikely though. To make it worthwhile, you'd probably need at least $15-20k in engine and transmission/drivetrain upgrades, along with supporting mods and custom fabrication, so you could use the 2.6L S/C to its potential. Who's going to dump that kind of coin into a C32 at this point? So many better options exist, IMHO - like trading-in the C32 on a C55 and adding a Kleemann blower kit, or moving up into a stock C63.
Now here is something worth discussing in this thread. With all the experience floating around in here why don't we try to come up with a supporting mod list required for the larger supercharger? Then try to start attaching some prices to those mods. At least this way even if nothing ever comes of it the next time this topic comes up, because we all know it will, we just point people to this thread with a "Here is what to expect.".
Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM

MB
Originally Posted by mustang281man
its the volume of air (cfm) not the pressure of the air (boost) that makes more power. example:

A 1.6L supercharger displaces 1.6L of air per revolution. so if your engine is turning 6000rpm with a stock crank and supercharger pulley you supercharger is turning 12600rpm and displacing 20160L of air or 712CFM. now say you put a 185mm crank pulley with the stock supercharger pulley, at 6000rpm the supercharger is turning 15000rpm and displacing 24000L of air or 847CFM.

Now take a 2.2L supercharger and here is what your numbers would be.
Stock pulleys, engine 6000RPM - 979CFM
185mm crank pulley, engine 6000RPM - 1165CFM

thats a big difference in volume of air just by going to a bigger blow with the same pulley combo. thats why porting heads lowers you boost but you make more power, its because it allows more air to flow through (CFM - up) them with less restriction(boost - down).

MORE AIRFLOW = MORE HORSEPOWER
Thank you! Couldn't have said it better myself, (and I tried )

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
This statement by itself is not true my friend.

Just because the supercharger can supply more airflow does NOT by itself imply more horsepower.

Now if you are talking about the entire engine, aka heads, valves, cams, intake and exhaust system, then YES I agree whole hardly

Sometimes bigger is NOT better in the realm of engines.

Just ask the guys in old small blocks that put in a BIG cams and see what that did for their performance

Or stuffing on a HUGE throttle body and leaving the rest of engine stock

Edit: Please also do not forget to upgrade the fuel system as well to satisfy that addtional airflow, aka larger injectors, fuel pump, and fuel lines.

Ask me how I know, ha, ha
When we have conversations such as this I feel that's it's implied that we're talking best case scenarios here (real world upgrades with appropriate supporting mods). Nobody's saying to go out and install a 14-71 blower on a C32 to get the most HP.

-Matt
Old 10-20-2010, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by msheredy
When we have conversations such as this I feel that's it's implied that we're talking best case scenarios here (real world upgrades with appropriate supporting mods).
Interesting that you say that - this conversation started out discussing removal of the OEM S/C and installing a larger-displacement Kenne Bell unit in its place, but otherwise keeping the rest of the engine stock (surge tanks/plenum, cyl heads, bottom-end, etc.). And that the Kenne Bell S/C would make significant power at only 10 PSI of positive boost pressure through an otherwise stock C32 motor.

Here's a data point for you guys, maybe this will help the discussion:

Thanks to mustang281man for initiating the S/C CFM example. I'll expand on it a bit, if that's alright. We're assuming a 100% stock C32 motor @ 6K rpm.

OEM S/C, OEM pullies
CFM = 712, resulting in recorded boost = 14.5 PSI (which we know, per AMG, as well as datalogging)

OEM S/C, 178 pullies
CFM = 815, resulting in recorded boost = 18.5 PSI (from many owners' datalogging)

OEM S/C, 185 pullies
CFM = 847, resulting in recorded boost = 22+ PSI (from many owners' datalogging)

So, a 14% increase in CFM results in a 28% increase in PSI from stock.
And, a 19% increase in CFM results in a 52% increase in PSI from stock.
Perhaps even more telling, is the increase from 178 to 185. A measly 4% increase in CFM causes a 19% increase in PSI.

What do you think the boost pressure will rise to if you start pushing 979 or 1165 CFM of airflow through an otherwise stock motor? 28 PSI? 30+?

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 10-20-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Thank you! Couldn't have said it better myself, (and I tried )

When we have conversations such as this I feel that's it's implied that we're talking best case scenarios here (real world upgrades with appropriate supporting mods). Nobody's saying to go out and install a 14-71 blower on a C32 to get the most HP.

-Matt
Well with out getting into it, I do not imply anything as it only makes for bad scenarios IMHO. I would not expect anyone was looking into a 14-71, glad to know you are informed. However, you are taking it to the extremes my friend.

I am stating with good knowledge that simply putting a LARGER Lysholm screw blower on a stock C32 motor is NOT going to do you any good. UNLESS, as I have stated, you up the boost, and the corresponding MANDATED equipment.

Please prove me wrong
Old 10-20-2010, 06:18 PM

MB
Well this just turned out to be one of those overly drawing out arguments where no one can agree or come to a consensus . No sense turning blue over this one

-Matt
Old 10-21-2010, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Well this just turned out to be one of those overly drawing out arguments where no one can agree or come to a consensus . No sense turning blue over this one

-Matt
agreed.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:17 AM

C32
Yep I agree, we put the data out there for people to use if they want to. Would it be cool to put a kenne bell on a c32? Yes. Would it be worth the money? No probably not. I would say just step up to an e55, or a c6zo6 which is what I'm in the process of getting. I also have some c32 performance parts for sale, if anyone is interested pm me. Brett
Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Guys, I am ALL for it in a MAXED out style

I am just trying to save you some money, as it really isn't going to do a thing on a stock engine. Sorry for the reality of it all. But physics work, whether you like them or not.

Sorry to break the bad news as I am NOT busting anyone's ***** here. At least that wasn't my intention.

And if you are willing to do ALL of the leg work, it could turn out to be a FREAK. Just expect to buy into it north of 10K to see any real return. AKA heads, cams, injectors, fuel pumps, ECU or stand alone, etc, etc.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am just trying to save you some money, as it really isn't going to do a thing on a stock engine. Sorry for the reality of it all. But physics work, whether you like them or not.

Sorry to break the bad news as I am NOT busting anyone's ***** here. At least that wasn't my intention.

And if you are willing to do ALL of the leg work, it could turn out to be a FREAK. Just expect to buy into it north of 10K to see any real return. AKA heads, cams, injectors, fuel pumps, ECU or stand alone, etc, etc.
+1

I thought it was a good discussion, but I guess others just see it as an argument. I agree with you, I'd love to see someone attempt it, but they should know that simply switching twin-screw blowers isn't going to yield any significant improvements, especially if running the system at low boost (e.g. max of 10 PSI @ 6k engine rpm) on an otherwise stock C32 engine. That approach would actually result in a lower-than-stock level of output. Doesn't make sense to do that, and IMHO shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the system works.

However, if one were to P&P the heads, build the bottom end, increase the capability of the fueling system, address any IC system inadequacies, and crank up the boost to 20+ PSI with that shiny new 2.6L blower... now we're talking serious gains. Would be expensive though.

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 10-21-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:08 PM

MB

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
+1

I thought it was a good discussion, but I guess others just see it as an argument. I agree with you, I'd love to see someone attempt it, but they should know that simply switching twin-screw blowers isn't going to yield any significant improvements, especially if running the system at low boost (e.g. max of 10 PSI @ 6k engine rpm) on an otherwise stock C32 engine. That approach would actually result in a lower-than-stock level of output. Doesn't make sense to do that, and IMHO shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the system works.

However, if one were to P&P the heads, build the bottom end, increase the capability of the fueling system, address any IC system inadequacies, and crank up the boost to 20+ PSI with that shiny new 2.6L blower... now we're talking serious gains. Would be expensive though.
LOL! I like how you 2 think you are right and the 3 of us are wrong
Old 10-21-2010, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
As you obviously have all the answers and no one else could possibly know anything better than yourself. And since the laws of physics do not work in your universe.

Just please go ahead and do it.

Good luck, good reddens, audios amigo.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 10-21-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It isn't just two of us.

If you don't change the volume of the intake tract, don't increase the flow capability of the heads, don't change the CR of the pistons, etc. etc. - you can't run a larger blower that pushes more CFM than the stock one at a given engine rpm, without causing a corresponding increase in boost recorded at that same engine rpm. You might think that's just "my opinion" - I believe it to be the physical reality of how the system has to operate.

Conversely, let's say you back into it with a specific boost target for the larger blower (say 10 PSI max @ 6k engine rpm). You'd have to slow the bigger blower's rpm way down with your pulley ratio (and with a corresponding decrease in CFM level) to make sure you don't exceed the targeted max boost threshold.

You guys seem to suggest that changing one variable (larger 2.6L blower), but keeping everything else constant, blower-supplied CFM goes up proportionally at all engine rpm's, but somehow boost goes down at the same time? Think about that.

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 10-21-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 PM

C32 AMG
Hi fellas! TemjinX2, you sir are exactly right! I am living proof of your thoughts. I when I upgraded my S/C I made MORE hp at a mere 16psi than I did with my OE charger. I had upper and lower pulleys installed on both systems.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by dlwiser
...I when I upgraded my S/C I made MORE hp at a mere 16psi than I did with my OE charger...
Is this one of your posts?
Yes...but nothing major. Just a port and polish and had the head decked.
But as far as gains the car was just at 400hp when I bought it. It had all the renntech upgrades done to it. That mated with the head work, throttle body, peak and hold injectors, and custom ground cams, with a re-tune i got 450.8hp to the wheels on a dynojet w/correction factor…
It's all good,dlwiser. :y

Seems Kenne Bell’s superchargers don’t mind being overdriven a bit.
Witnessed this gent laying down solid 10-second/130+ mph passes in his Featherlite-transported Lightning..

Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 AM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Just going to throw out one small idea here... Everyone on this chain is correct. Just look at a couple small facts here:

1.) If a small blower were to generate 15psi at 500cfm then a larger blower is still going to generate 15psi at 500cfm. You can't get around that. It has nothing to do with the blower itself but rather anything the air traverses beyond the blower. This would be the case if you did a flat out blower swap with no supporting mods at all.

2.) A larger blower could still be capable of generating more horsepower at the exact same rating of 15psi at 500cfm if it has a higher adiabatic efficiency than the smaller blower. Less heat = colder air = more oxygen per CF of air. If the efficiency difference were large enough then it could theoretically be possible for the larger blower to generate more horsepower at a lower PSI.

That's the way I've always understood this to work. To me it seems like everyone is right and nobody is looking at the whole picture.

Last edited by Biscuit; 10-22-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks
Old 10-22-2010, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A twin screw compresses air, the roots sc does not and is a straight blower. Hence the slang term people came up with as "blower".

So yes, a larger blower that can compress the air more efficiently can provide more cfm because the air molecules are compressed to a smaller size to increase the volume of air.

Here's a article I found the different types of superchargers. The efficiency arguments makes more sense on the roots type blowers.

The Roots Supercharger
The roots supercharger was originally designed as an air moving device for industrial buildings. The roots supercharger features two counter-rotating lobes that trap air from the intake side of the supercharger (normally at the back of the supercharger), move it around the outside casing of the lobes, and out the bottom of the supercharger through an outlet / discharge port.

First, the roots supercharger does not compress air - it only moves from the intake port to the discharge port (i.e. it is the only supercharger design with no internal compression ratio).

The Twin Screw Supercharger

At the heart of the twin-screw supercharger are two rotors, or "screws" that rotate towards each other. The rotors mesh together and draw air from the back of the supercharger. The twisting rotors move the air to the front of the supercharger, while compressing the air before discharging through a port at or near the front of the supercharger.

Because the compression is done inside the supercharger, this design produces less heat than a roots supercharger - in fact, it is almost as thermally efficient as a centrifugal design.

One disadvantage of the twin screw design is that, because it has an internal compression ratio, the twin screw is compressing air even when it is not sending boost to the engine
(i.e. under cruising or deceleration).

The Centrifugal Supercharger
The centrifugal supercharger essentially operates like a high speed fan propeller / impeller, sucking air into the center of the supercharger and pushing it to the outside of the rapidly spinning (40,000 + rpm) impeller blades. The air naturally travels to the outside of the blades because of its centrifugal force created by its rotating inertia. At the outside of the blades, a "scroll" is waiting to catch the air molecules. Just before entering the scroll, the air molecules are forced to travel through a venturi, which creates the internal compression.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=76

here's a better description of how the twin screw compresses the air.

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...romcatalog.pdf
Old 10-22-2010, 03:24 PM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Yep, I'm aware of the different types of superchargers. Just faster to type blower. I was making no inference as to the actual type of supercharger.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi fellas! TemjinX2, you sir are exactly right! I am living proof of your thoughts. I when I upgraded my S/C I made MORE hp at a mere 16psi than I did with my OE charger. I had upper and lower pulleys installed on both systems.
what supercharger did you use? What are you running 1000cc injectors?

Were you able to reuse the oem intercooler and throttle body?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:03 PM

MB
good reddens
LOL! At least I know how to spell! Here's a little advice for you, If you're gonna try to make me (or anyone else in the future) look bad please do yourself a favor and run spell check. You do know how to do that right? Do you need me to tell you how that works too
Old 10-22-2010, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Picts, video, time slips or dynos of this SC you put on your C32????
Old 10-22-2010, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
LOL! At least I know how to spell! Here's a little advice for you, If you're gonna try to make me (or anyone else in the future) look bad please do yourself a favor and run spell check. You do know how to do that right? Do you need me to tell you how that works too
Ah I have just been mortally wounded. You really are a peach my friend.

Stop de railing this thread and PM me, as I won't waste band width on you anymore

Last edited by MRAMG1; 10-23-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i'm hoping dlwiser can clarify what he did. I'm started this thread, because I wanted to see how viable it would be to reuse the oem parts to keep the engine bay oem looking.

Otherwise, going turbo or a centrifugal sc would be more of a cost effective way of making power.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
To sum it up bigger isn't always better. (Johnson Thread) Yes, mine is bigger though...

I really think our best option would be forced induction via turbocharger. We can run the same boost with more potential output due to the belt driven losses of a supercharger being eliminated. Wouldn't it be in the range of 80HP gain just by running 22PSI boost off a turbo? Internals could be left alone. More cost efficient.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Turbo does not have the parasitic drag of a blower; however, more complex:
Heat, must run oil in/out cooling lines, and must run exhaust lines, and custom cold side lines...... and you now have to plumb an intercooler.

The eaton supercharger with heatexchanger is really a fabulous tidy/powerful package, with off idle tq to make some big blocks jealous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell Supercharger?