Horendous noise......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Horendous noise......

So, I get home from work, pull in the garage, and shut off the engine. That's when I hear it, sounds like a vacum cleaner running under the hood, car is off, noise continues and starts to smell. It's coming from behind the passenger headlamp. I think the auxillary cooling pump? Anyway, I have to disconnect the battery to stop the pump from making this racket. MB to send a flatbed to get my car in the morning Anyone ever have this problem, or am I just the lucky one? Nor much I can do now but wait. Oh and the dealer is over an hour away, so unless I ride in with the tow truck, I don't get a loaner. They did tell me I could rent a car, but they were not real specific as to wether or not they would pick up the tab, although I can tell you, I won't! I have a second car, but on principle I think they should give me an MB to use till mine is fixed. Last time they gave me a car for half a day while mine was in for servicing I got a POS pontiac.
Hope all goes well, thanks for listening...
Old 04-21-2003, 09:35 PM

2005 B6 S4
It might be your air pump going out.
If it is, make sure the dealer replace the air pump along with the control module/sensor. I went through 2 air pumps before the dealer realized it was the control module/sensor that was faulty causing the pump to spin to death.

peter
Old 04-21-2003, 10:47 PM
dfc

03' C32, 98' Civic EX
What other symptoms are there when the air pump burns out, beside the loud noise and strange odor?
Old 04-21-2003, 11:57 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
sounds like an air pump issued to me too. it's a known problem.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:18 AM

2005 B6 S4
Originally posted by dfc
What other symptoms are there when the air pump burns out, beside the loud noise and strange odor?
On mine, i heard a low but very high pitch sound from the pump before my check engine light came on.
When your air pump dies, your check engine light will display.
If i remember correctly, the air pump is used to heat up your catalytic converters when they are cold. This will not effect any performance.

peter
Old 04-22-2003, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 AMG
Thanks, I did just have an air pump replaced about 4 weeks ago. The first time it just died, no noise, no smell, and the check engine light came on. If this is the air pump again, It is going in a different way. The pump was making a racket, and there was a noticable stink, even with the ignition off and key out. The check engine light never came on. If it is the air pump I'll have them check (replace) the control module as well.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
It is definitely an air pump. Mine died the same, noisy, smelly, horrible death.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 AMG
Yup, it was the air pump again Dealer was excellent in handling the problem. They had the parts sent overnight (Fed Ex). I told them about the control module (thanks pc527) and they replaced that as well. Excellent turn around as my car is now ready, and they offered to deliver back to my home (dealer is over an hour away, and my wife would have had to drive me there since they towed the car from my home) I am not thrilled that I had a problem, but am very happy that the dealer (KNOPF in Allentown)has handled this as quickly as they did Hopefully, with the new module, the air pump issue is now resolved.