C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Transmission fluid in coolant reservoir?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
I still can not find the radiator label so I can determine whether my car has the Valeo or not. I removed the covers under the car this morning and I found no markings or brand names on the bottom of the radiator.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
You can verify the radiator by checking the main connection for a certain crimped design. Look up threads regarding Valeo radiator, and you will find the information.

I contacted FEBI International today, and discussed the fluid. Was told the Mercedes, and FEBI are supplied by the same chemical company. Possible the fluid isn't exactly the same, but meets all specifications set by Mercedes, and more than likely it is the same fluid. Put 20 liters on order just a few ago. Came out to $215 with shipping.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd
You can verify the radiator by checking the main connection for a certain crimped design. Look up threads regarding Valeo radiator, and you will find the information.

I contacted FEBI International today, and discussed the fluid. Was told the Mercedes, and FEBI are supplied by the same chemical company. Possible the fluid isn't exactly the same, but meets all specifications set by Mercedes, and more than likely it is the same fluid. Put 20 liters on order just a few ago. Came out to $215 with shipping.
Good luck, and I'm sure every thing will come out ok.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Should be running great after all the work is done. Not to mention a lot cooler with new radiator, new water pump, higher flowing TVT thermostat, and maybe the purple ice will help some more. Can't wait to open her up with the new heat exchanger installed! I'm thinking about making a fully detailed DIY thread with photographs for everything I will do. By the way, I'll upload a picture hopefully tomorrow of what is in my coolant reservoir.

I'm still debating going with a shrunken battery, and spending another $80-$100 dollars or just relocated the current battery I only bought four months back into the trunk... Reservoir is going to be located in battery bay.

Last edited by gt4awd; 10-18-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:52 PM

C32
You started your radiator job yet? I ordered a new BEHR today. I see you ordered rivets for the fan shroud? Why?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All the plastic on my car is really dried out. It was Arizona, and Texas owned before I purchased. They break easily. Didn't want to wait around for some new clips or drive to the dealership if they snap, and it was only an extra few dollars.

I've received everything now. Transmission fluid, and new water pump came in today. The new heat exchanger came in yesterday. Looks like the supplied bolt tabs will work for mounting hopefully. If not need to have a shop weld on some new brackets. Just waiting for a day off of work to start the job. Still need to get a reservoir for the I/C system, and relocation kit for the battery. Thinking I'll start on Sunday.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 AM

C32
What's the purpose of the exchanger and separate I/C? Cool your supercharger better?

I sent you a PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, internal air temperatures are a big issue on the M112K especially after modifications to increase PSI. Even stock your C32 will benefit from just separation of the I/C system. A very easy to accomplish task. Stock configuration is tied in with the engine coolant system. On modified 185MM pushing 22+ PSI separation isn't enough. The heat exchanger only holds at most two cups of fluid. The intercooler under our supercharger isn't very efficient either. Easiest way to improve IAT cooling is installing a larger heat exchanger on a separated circuit. Adding a reservoir increases fluid capacity, and keeps the I/C fluid overall cooler. When IAT rise engine timing gets cut resulting in a loss of output.

The main option left for heat exchanger is Eurocharged. It cost around $450 shipped... I got mine through a company called Frozen Boost. Well known for their applications in custom drag builds, or heavily modified street cars. The heat exchanger is 26x7x2 and has 1 liter fluid capacity. Cost $175 shipped. Rated for 600-1200HP depending on intercooler efficiency. The Eurocharged is 29x7x2.25 and has 1.8 liter capacity. I might also run this new H/E along with the stock H/E in a dual configuration.

Last edited by gt4awd; 10-21-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Few updates. Swapped out the radiator today. It wasn't too bad. Was going to do the coolant pump first until I realized it's not an exact copy of the OEM pump. Everything is perfect, but they decided to leave out that top left extension being it isn't used on stock engine. Of course we need that section for the pulley saver kit... Anyone without the PSK should be good using the aftermarket pump. I'll get in touch with them tomorrow, and see if it's possible for them to manufacture their pump with that extra section.

The heat exchanger is on hold until custom brackets are placed. The small tabs they put on it will not work. Comparing the stock h/e vs this one is a big difference in weight, and overall mass. Should be a great upgrade! Still have to flush out torque converter, and flush coolant system. Install new h/e, and she'll be good to go after putting the front bumper back on.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:13 PM

C32
What possessed you to build a tesla coil? I want one!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One day I came across information on Nikola Tesla, and had never once heard of him. After researching more I realized how important of a scientist, and inventor he really was. He literally changed the world as we know it. The Tesla Coil has to be one of the coolest electrical devices. Everyone thinks plasma globes are cool. Which a plasma globe is a very low powered Tesla Coil that ionizes a gas filled chamber. How about electrical streamers into mid air 2ft or longer... I spent hundreds of hours/dollars researching and developing. Well worth the experience. First real project as a learning electrical engineer.

Didn't run into any snags today other than the coolant pump. Seems there's always something that goes wrong or won't go right when I have to work on the C32. Today was the exception. I do have a few questions. Can anyone provide a photograph of how the Eurocharged heat exchanger brackets mount to the impact bar? I'm going to redo the brackets same as EC H/E. In what order should I finish up the coolant and transmission flush? I've already drained just the transmission pan, and all coolant. Need to drop pan, and change filter still.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 PM

C32
My car is still sitting on jackstands...yours?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why jack stands? Yes, it's still sitting, and unfinished. Nope, I just jacked up one side to get under. Once I drained the transmission pan and replaced radiator lowered it back down. Tonight I'm working on the new heat exchanger brackets and on Thursday a day off from work so going to finish up everything. Picked up new coolant and transmission line to radiator o-rings at dealership today.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By the way, on the heat exchanger I've decided to just bolt on extensions to the original tabs placed on there instead of having a shop solder on new brackets. I'll post up some photographs once I get the extensions installed. The heat exchanger, and everything needed should run around $200 dollars. The company also supplies a 26x7x3 for slightly more that I didn't think would fit. However, I found an old C3P thread where he apparently sourced a 29x8x3.5 H/E that did have just enough clearance. Does anyone know the dimensions of the Code 3 Performance heat exchanger, or fluid capacity?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 AM

C32
I received my oil report from Blackstone Labratories. There was no glycol contamination in my transmission fluid which I am happy to report. I have a 2002 C32 with the original Valeo radiator and 85k on the odometer. The report is very interesting. Comments say that it appears my transmission has been serviced before and the fluid show little signs of wear.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You finish the job up dontbanme? Everything's done on mine... It was time consuming, but not that bad.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now I'm thinking about doing another full flush. The transmission has been shifting rough after doing the job. I don't think the FEBI fluid is working out good. The company said it should be the exact same fluid. Looking at spending another $150 or so for more fluid... Europartsamerica apparently isn't online anymore either? Tried to visit their site to contact them about the FEBI fluid, and it's a search engine now...
Old 12-08-2010, 11:34 PM

C32
You finish the job up dontbanme? Everything's done on mine... It was time consuming, but not that bad.
Yea...I finished the job several weeks ago. I did the radiator, transmission flush, k&n filters, oil change, and coolant flush. The radiator was a PITA swap in my opinion, but I made it through it.

Debating whether to tackle the defective tilt steering wheel fix. My tilt steering doesn't work. There is a writeup online about it.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 PM

C32
Now I'm thinking about doing another full flush. The transmission has been shifting rough after doing the job. I don't think the FEBI fluid is working out good. The company said it should be the exact same fluid. Looking at spending another $150 or so for more fluid... Europartsamerica apparently isn't online anymore either? Tried to visit their site to contact them about the FEBI fluid, and it's a search engine now...
Mine is shifting a bit harsher as well. I attribute it to the cooler weather. May want to try MBdeals that I referenced earlier in this thread. The first shipment was lost or something, but he made it right in a hurry.