C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Transmission fluid in coolant reservoir?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Transmission fluid in coolant reservoir?

Checked my reservoir today after putting in some K&N filters to find an oily buildup. Very thick fluid with a light brown/red color. I had a small amount of this buildup last time I had the vehicle tested at the dealership for glycol contamination, and they said it turned up negative. I don't see what else it could be though.

Wondering if anyone who has experienced glycol leak could verify the transmission fluid is rather thick when it builds up in the coolant. So thick it sticks right onto the screw driver when I pulled some out of the reservoir. The only other thing it might be is the water wetter by Redline breaking down. The stuff is red, and could possibly separate into a thick oily substance.

Transmission has been shifting slightly rough, and I do still have the Valeo radiator which has checked out no leakage on three separate glycol tests. Really sucks too because I just had the transmission serviced with new filter and fluid. I'm thinking the glycol test was positive, and the dealership said it was negative hoping I would have to come back and spend some big bucks... I don't have another vehicle to drive to and from work either. I just ordered a new BEHR radiator a few minutes ago.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
The only thing I can think of is the worst case scenario. I don't think the wetter water would break down to that point. You could see about getting the glycol test done, but I'm pretty sure that some thing is going on. Did you ask to have a glycol test done when you were having your tranny fluid changed? Did you see the results?

Hopefully it hasn't messed up any thing, do a complete flush and definitely change the radiator. Good luck and I hope it's not bad.

I almost have the power steering pump done, if that's of any consolation.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, I requested the transmission to be tested for glycol contamination due to it requiring a fluid change. The parking paw was leaking transmission fluid and gaskets replaced. He said it was barely hitting the dip stick. No, they didn't show me the actual results. Just said it came up negative. Know for a fact I had deposits in the reservoir though. This is what I have ordered so far. Plan to do the job myself along with full flush.

1 2035003903 Radiator OEM BEHR W203 ; 2035001003 & 2035000503
1 000000000884 Transmission Pan Gasket; Transmission Pan Drain Plug
1 1402700091 Transmission Filler Tube; Filler Cap
1 1402700098 Transmission Filter Kit
1 1402710060 Transmission Gasket; A/T Drain Plug Seal Washer; 10x20x1mm
1 1409910055 Transmission Filler Tube; Lock Pin for Filler Cap; Red Plastic
2 2029880142 Fan Shroud Rivet/Fastener; Clip for Auxiliary Fan Shroud

Is there anything else I should get to do the job? Obviously I still need the transmission fluid. Which would be best to go with? Service DVD states 14 quarts required for full transmission flush. Would it be a bad idea to find cheap transmission fluid same viscosity and weight for the flushing fluid? It would definitely save money. I will also need a vacuum pump to extract fluid. Planning on swapping out the heat exchanger as well at the same time. Will do full flush on coolant system. Should I consider replacing water pump? My 02' Sportcoupe pump went out at 125k miles...
Old 10-11-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Once you start looking at transmission fluid options you will find it to be more complicated then it should be. Safest and best bet (from what I have found from online research) is to buy MB fluid P/N 001 989 68 03 10. You can pay $17-25/qt from the dealer or buy online for as cheap as $10/qt. I bought 9 qts from MBdeals@yahoo.com

He sells on Ebay as well, but you can order from him direct if you are so inclined.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:02 AM

C32
I haven't received my fluid from MBdeals yet, but I should have it tomorrow. I plan to do the glycol test as well. I ordered the test kit from Blackstone Laboratories.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Once you start looking at transmission fluid options you will find it to be more complicated then it should be. Safest and best bet (from what I have found from online research) is to buy MB fluid P/N 001 989 68 03 10. You can pay $17-25/qt from the dealer or buy online for as cheap as $10/qt. I bought 9 qts from MBdeals@yahoo.com
I'm wondering though if there is a better fluid than OEM such as Royal Purple, Redline, or other. Autohausaz lists the two following OEM transmission fluids;

00004330401 - Fuchs OEM $11.81 per Liter
001989210310 - Mercedes OEM $14.96 per Liter

Going to need an inferred meter. Almost forgot about that one...

I haven't received my fluid from MBdeals yet, but I should have it tomorrow. I plan to do the glycol test as well. I ordered the test kit from Blackstone Laboratories.
I figure getting the glycol test done is a waste of time and money. It really can't be anything other than transmission fluid... Are you swapping radiators, or just doing a transmission fluid change?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 AM

C32
I am just servicing the transmission. I probably should go ahead and change the radiator, but I will do that at a later time. I have only had the car for a few weeks now. Who knows...the radiator might have already been changed.

I have the typical transmission jerk around 1500rpm, but from what I have read that is common with these cars whether you have a glycol leak or not.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can check the label on radiator to see if it's the Valeo or Behr. If you do have the Valeo I wouldn't recommend putting it off as I did. Especially considering you are about to service the transmission fluid. Just the glycol tests will add up in cost over a few years. New Behr is only $160 shipped. All together I think the job is going to run around $500 DIY. Well worth the cost to avoid damaged transmission and torque converter in the long term running you thousands. Think I'll plan for differential fluid change as well. Simple enough from what I've researched, and I'm sure needs to be done at 100K+ mileage. Same question on fluid. OEM or other?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 AM

C32
Where is this label located? I probably should go ahead and do the radiator if the OE is still in there. I guess you bought the BEHR off of eBay? I see they run around $160.

As I recall the rear diff fluid is ordinary. I plan to used Mobil synthetic 75-90w
Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Do not try to pump out the fluid, you will need to flush the tranny by putting a bit in at a time. Make sure the get the tranny dip stick and a thermometer. Apparently your tranny fluid needs to be at a certain temp to measure it.

I plan on doing the job as well, but I'll probably be dropping the whole tranny.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where is this label located? I probably should go ahead and do the radiator if the OE is still in there. I guess you bought the BEHR off of eBay? I see they run around $160.
From what I remember it's on the bottom of the radiator. Pull the front skid plate, and you should find it. Yes, purchased on ebay.
As I recall the rear diff fluid is ordinary. I plan to used Mobil synthetic 75-90w
Have to do some research, and see what would be best to use. Mobil is always a good choice though! Thanks.
Do not try to pump out the fluid, you will need to flush the tranny by putting a bit in at a time. Make sure the get the tranny dip stick and a thermometer. Apparently your tranny fluid needs to be at a certain temp to measure it.
Not sure about the pump. Service lists a pump, and I believe it is used to drain the torque converter completely. Can't any universal dip stick work? Will get thermometer at Sears tomorrow. Off the top of my head it is 80C the transmission fluid should be at for proper measurement.
I plan on doing the job as well, but I'll probably be dropping the whole tranny.
Why will you be dropping the entire transmission?

Anyone end up using GMB water pump on their C32? From their description it would appear to be designed slightly better than OEM, and cost half the price. If someone has with good results definitely doing the water pump for another $130 dollars.

Last edited by gt4awd; 10-11-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
You need a special dipstick like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...motiveQ5fTools

I plan on dropping the tranny so that I can get to my rear main seal.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM

C32
I just bought that same dipstick on Ebay.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Please let me know if you received the fluid. If the company comes through for you I'll be purchasing through them. Extra $5 dollars off is going to add up being that I need around 20 liters!

You need a special dipstick like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...motiveQ5fTools
Oh joy, some more money to spend. Thanks for the link! Just ordered. There goes another $30 dollars. That makes about $120 for today on supplies. Up to about $350 dollars so far. Still need to get the fluid...

12 gallons of distilled water
Four bottles of Prestone Radiator Flush
Another storage container
Inferred Thermometer
Transmission dipstick
Royal Purple - Purple Ice
Already have an extra bottle of MB antifreeze

What else am I missing now other than the fluid?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Few unanswered, or in need of more input, questions if anyone can help... Thanks!

Would it be a bad idea to find cheap transmission fluid same viscosity and weight for the flushing fluid?

I still need the transmission fluid. Which would be best to go with?

Should I consider replacing water pump? My 02' Sportcoupe pump went out at 125k miles...

Think I'll plan for differential fluid change as well. Simple enough from what I've researched, and I'm sure needs to be done at 100K+ mileage. Same question on fluid. OEM or other?

Anyone end up using GMB water pump on their C32?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 PM

C32
I still haven't received my transmission fluid from MBDeals, but I think USPS is holding it. Tracking number shows it should have been delivered already. I will let you know something tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I purchased my fluid from ebay, but it took about two weeks to arrive. At first I thought it wasn't going to arrive, but sure enough it did. I made a fluid thread about being able to use other fluids and every one came to the conclusion to just use mb transmission fluid. As for differential fluid I think you can use mobil 1 synthetic 75/90

Here's the thread that I started: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...id-thread.html

Here are a few good threads on doing the transmission service:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...n-service.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...n-related.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...id-change.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...hange-diy.html
Old 10-14-2010, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How much did you get the fluid for on ebay? I'll check it out. Think I'll go with that GMB water pump as it's an exact replica of OE, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Going to pull the TVT thermostat as well and drill several more holes in the plate to increase cooling. Plan to use a 70/30 water/coolant mix with royal purple: purple ice instead of redline water wetter. It is supposedly better than the redline. Intercooling system will be a 90/10 with purple ice. Plan to get a heat exchanger 26x7x2 through a well known company. Says it's good for 600-1200HP depending on how efficient the intercooler is.

http://europartsamerica.com/parts/pr...FQ2e7QodvntoKQ

Is the FEBI the exact same fluid just without a Mercedes label on the bottle? Thinking $10.83 is as cheap as it's going to get. Anyone else find a better deal?

Last edited by gt4awd; 10-14-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I used : Coolant
Valvoline Zerex G-05
Price: $7-$15 per gallon depending where you can find it and this is the exact same fluid mercedes uses.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM

C32
I still haven't got my fluid from MBDeals. I don't think it is his fault. He gave me a tracking number through USPS right after he shipped it. It must have gotten lost or something.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Have typically been quite pleased with Red Line’s lubricants and additives.
Their Water Wetter surfactant does, however, leave some funky residue in the reservoir on occasion.

Last time I saw a bunch of truly nasty stuff in the coolant tank was when a former W124 M104’s head gasket came unglued.
Good luck.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I consider that the Valeo needs to be replaced regardless if it's the cause. The stuff in my coolant reservoir is really thick, and red in color. I assume it has to be transmission fluid. If not changing out the radiator is going to rule out the most likely culprit. I'm sure nearing 110k miles a new radiator couldn't hurt either. Should cool more efficiently. The peace of mind will be good enough. Could be residue from the water wetter, but the entire coolant has turned a red hue. Adding the water wetter didn't do so.

Something that's been bothering me for a few months is I occasionally get a strange sound from the exhaust. Almost sounds like it's bubbling, burping, etc... Don't know if it's possibly a vibration from the cats, or fluid boiling in the exhaust. Maybe a bad valve... Any ideas? Only happens when the operating temperature exceeds 90C, and it is intermittent only happening on rare occasions.

I've received the radiator, and all misc parts required. Need to order the fluid, coolant pump, and heat exchanger now. Was hoping someone could verify FEBI is OEM fluid without the label before I ordered? I will order both the heat exchanger, and GMB pump tonight. Need to verify this fluid, and I'll place it on order. Once those last three come in should be good to do the job. It's only been a few days, and I already miss driving the C32 a lot!

Edit: Heat exchanger, and coolant pump purchased. Both ran right around $300 together.

Last edited by gt4awd; 10-15-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd
I consider that the Valeo needs to be replaced regardless if it's the cause. The stuff in my coolant reservoir is really thick, and red in color. I assume it has to be transmission fluid. If not changing out the radiator is going to rule out the most likely culprit. I'm sure nearing 110k miles a new radiator couldn't hurt either. Should cool more efficiently. The peace of mind will be good enough. Could be residue from the water wetter, but the entire coolant has turned a red hue. Adding the water wetter didn't do so.

Something that's been bothering me for a few months is I occasionally get a strange sound from the exhaust. Almost sounds like it's bubbling, burping, etc... Don't know if it's possibly a vibration from the cats, or fluid boiling in the exhaust. Maybe a bad valve... Any ideas? Only happens when the operating temperature exceeds 90C, and it is intermittent only happening on rare occasions.

I've received the radiator, and all misc parts required. Need to order the fluid, coolant pump, and heat exchanger now. Was hoping someone could verify FEBI is OEM fluid without the label before I ordered? I will order both the heat exchanger, and GMB pump tonight. Need to verify this fluid, and I'll place it on order. Once those last three come in should be good to do the job. It's only been a few days, and I already miss driving the C32 a lot!

Edit: Heat exchanger, and coolant pump purchased. Both ran right around $300 together.

Is FEBI suppose to the fluid you sourced for transmission fluid? I've never heard of it, but every one has said to stick to MB transmission fluid.

Check out this guy on ebay and you could see if he has a few that he could sell in addition to the 6 he is offering: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-15-2010, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is FEBI suppose to the fluid you sourced for transmission fluid? I've never heard of it, but every one has said to stick to MB transmission fluid.
What it appears is that FEBI is the OEM provider of our transmission fluid. Even the bottle looks nearly identical. I figure Mercedes just slaps on their label, and sells for more. I'll contact the company tomorrow, and see what they say.
Check out this guy on ebay and you could see if he has a few that he could sell in addition to the 6 he is offering: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories
I've contacted the seller. Thanks for the link!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid in coolant reservoir?