Replaced stock pump with Johnson CM30 pump - now problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Replaced stock pump with Johnson CM30 pump - now problems

Hey Folks,

Hoping for some advice / to pick your brains. Couple of weeks ago I got my local mechanics to do some work on my C32 including swapping the stock pump for a CM30, Behr radiator fitted and also got a needswings fluid isolator fitted. Just in case it's relevant I'll list at the bottom of this post what else was done.

When I picked it up there was a warning on the dash something like, "Coolant Temperature Too Low" with a bar that would slowly move across after 5 mins driving as the engine heated up - and then the error would go. Initially thought this must be related to the fluid isolation kit - spoke to Rob at Needswings (great service/quick response from him) suggested it wasn't.

Long story short - car was back at the mechanics this week trying to find the problem, they've swapped out sensors and just about everything else they can think of - and can't fix the issue. Finally they suggested that maybe the Johnson pump is the culprit - something about fluid volumes or pressures being different from stock and this effecting the measurements.

Does this make any sense - anyone come across anything like this before?

Cheers
Ed

--------------
Stock radiator changed to Behr, 178 pulleys put on, new heat exchanger fitted, transmission fluid service.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I've had an issue with my coolant warning coming on, but it's accompanied by a windshield washer fluid being low. I've concluded that if the windshield washer fluid is low, then the coolant warning light will come on as well. As for the other warning that you got, could you describe it better?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 AM

ML350
Hi,

I really only got one warning, just saw it a lot (every time I'd drive the car), pretty sure it was "Coolant Temp Too Low" (wish I'd taken a photo of it now - memory isn't what it was!) what I certainly remember is it was accompanied by a horizontal temperature bar that moved from left to right over about 5 mins as it heated up.

Cheers
Ed
Old 10-16-2010, 10:42 AM

C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I've had an issue with my coolant warning coming on, but it's accompanied by a windshield washer fluid being low. I've concluded that if the windshield washer fluid is low, then the coolant warning light will come on as well. As for the other warning that you got, could you describe it better?
Been washing your windshield with coolant again?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:25 AM

ML350
So....to close this out - local mechanic found this issue - nothing to do with any of the above - A/C fan module blown...which is a relief...kinda!